TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
getgray

pyTivo, mkv and subtitles

I am trying to get some Japanese Anime onto my Tivo that has english subtitles.

When loading the mkv directly to the Tivo, it plays fine, albeit without subtitles.

I have carefuly followed the Kleiman's guide here:
http://mkleiman.com/pytivo_subtitles_guide.html

I can play the mkv on my XP PC without issue, it shows subtitles. It plays via/invokes windows media player.

After installing ffdshow I was able to play the .avs file created per the guide. The .avs file in it's entirety contains:
DirectShowSource("T:\torrent-completed\test.mkv", convertfps=true)

When I try to play the avs file (also WMP) however, I do not get subtitles.

Per the guide I tried adding "eng" to the Haali Media Splitter options, but that didn't fix it.

Meanwhile, From the Tivo, I can see the share where the share where the .avs file is located, but it reports "no files".

How can I get the Tivo to "see" the .avs file? What am I missing? What other information can I provide to get help?

Thanks,
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray View Post
I am trying to get some Japanese Anime onto my Tivo that has english subtitles.

When loading the mkv directly to the Tivo, it plays fine, albeit without subtitles.

I have carefuly followed the Kleiman's guide here:
http://mkleiman.com/pytivo_subtitles_guide.html

I can play the mkv on my XP PC without issue, it shows subtitles. It plays via/invokes windows media player.

After installing ffdshow I was able to play the .avs file created per the guide. The .avs file in it's entirety contains:

When I try to play the avs file (also WMP) however, I do not get subtitles.

Per the guide I tried adding "eng" to the Haali Media Splitter options, but that didn't fix it.

Meanwhile, From the Tivo, I can see the share where the share where the .avs file is located, but it reports "no files".

How can I get the Tivo to "see" the .avs file? What am I missing? What other information can I provide to get help?

Thanks,
Scott
I haven't ever tried the approach that mkleiman uses, but I do prep my H.264/MP4 files with hardcoded subtitles. To use his approach, I think you need to have avisynth installed and working, correct? If so, then you can download vsfilter and add the dll to the avisynth 2.5/plugins directory. Then you need to extract a copy of the subtitle file.

With that, you can build an avs script that reads like this:
Code:
Textsub("T:\torrent-completed\test.srt")
Where test.srt is the name of your subtitle. That should work to hardcode the subtitles into your video.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
getgray

Thank you. I got it to work. Had 2 things wrong. A typo in share name (that fixed the Tivo access), and a setting in the splitter program (autoload vsfilter). Now, I load from bittorrent, use a utility to auto-create the avs files for all the respective downloads, and push to tivo. No substantial extra work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
ericl007

Hi, I just tried this but got a copyright error i the new directory created. any work around ?
ericl007 is offline   Reply With Quote