TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Keith Olbermann to host new show on ESPN2, Premieres Aug. 26

This is rather surprising. Keith Olbermann has rejoined the ESPN family and will host an hour show entitled Olbermann on ESPN2 that will premiere August 26 at 11 pm ET.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/keit...date-august-2/

Interesting to note that he won't be in Bristol; the show will broadcast from the ABC/Disney Times Square Studios. Wonder if that's because the guys in Bristol don't want him there, or that he didn't want to go there?

I wonder how long this will last before it goes down in grand and glorious flames, as have all of the rest of Olbermann's shows?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Maybe getting back to sports will be good for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
This.

The fact that his contract specifies he is not allowed to talk politics is amusing. If he can keep his anger about conservatives to himself and focus on stats and plays maybe he can be viewed as human being again and not a vile hate filled gas bag.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
This.

The fact that his contract specifies he is not allowed to talk politics is amusing. If he can keep his anger about conservatives to himself and focus on stats and plays maybe he can be viewed as human being again and not a vile hate filled gas bag.
To me, he doesn't even have to keep it to just the stats and plays. If he wants to rant about sports issues, fine. To me, sports is purely entertainment. And people ranting about it one way or the other is just all part of the big show that sports is. I don't even care if I disagree with him on his sports rants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Shaunnick

Quote:
To me, he doesn't even have to keep it to just the stats and plays. If he wants to rant about sports issues, fine. To me, sports is purely entertainment. And people ranting about it one way or the other is just all part of the big show that sports is. I don't even care if I disagree with him on his sports rants.
I'll agree with that.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I agree. Didn't he do SNF with Dan Patrick for a short time? So coming back to sports is not new to him. I'm sure I won't watch. There's enough blowhards on ESPN and other places who think they are the be all and end all of sports (or a particular sport). But if that's his shtick and he keeps it to sports, that's fine.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
This.

That's not what the linked article says.
Quote:
Meanwhile, during a phone call with media today, the former MSNBC and Current TV liberal host said he’ll just be doing “a sports show” and pledged “no political segments, no cultural segments, are planned”. Olbermann also denied any “content clause” exists in his two-year ESPN2 contract. “No need for one. They’re not restraining me. They don’t have to.”
That said, I have seen Olbermann when he was doing "just sports".

Before he went National, Olbermann use to be a local sports anchor here and it was doing "just sports" that I decided that he was a pompous windbag that I didn't want to watch.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

On the other hand, I think the Olbermann/Patrick years on "the big show" were the best years that SportsCenter has ever had. I understood, but was really disappointed when ESPN chose not to even mention him during the 25th Anniversary special.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
On the other hand, I think the Olbermann/Patrick years on "the big show" were the best years that SportsCenter has ever had. I understood, but was really disappointed when ESPN chose not to even mention him during the 25th Anniversary special.
The two of them changed that network forever. No longer did they just give the sports dry as the other SC hosts did (with the exception of perhaps Berman, who, I think by that time had stopped doing SC. But I'm not sure that was a good team for an older sports fan like me, who's not a fan of how everything in sports is an over the top extravaganza, where the game is now secondary.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
This is rather surprising. Keith Olbermann has rejoined the ESPN family and will host an hour show entitled Olbermann on ESPN2 that will premiere August 26 at 11 pm ET.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/keit...date-august-2/

Interesting to note that he won't be in Bristol; the show will broadcast from the ABC/Disney Times Square Studios. Wonder if that's because the guys in Bristol don't want him there, or that he didn't want to go there?

I wonder how long this will last before it goes down in grand and glorious flames, as have all of the rest of Olbermann's shows?
I assume they are doing the show from NYC because it will be easier to book guests like Letterman and Fallon do. It's for the convenience. Bristol is inconvenient for everybody that doesn't already work there.

Olberman is an interesting guy, and I hope this is an interesting show. I liked what Costas achieved in his late night show where it felt like you were listening in on a conversation and not being sold a product at every turn. I hope this is more like that than another version of PTI or Sportscenter.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Before he went National, Olbermann use to be a local sports anchor here and it was doing "just sports" that I decided that he was a pompous windbag that I didn't want to watch.
I lived in LA from 90-93 and I enjoyed what he did to make the local sports more interesting and missed him when he left.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote