Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #331
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I think if you prefer 6TB, wait it out. There's some momentum going now.
If you prefer 4TB, no point in waiting.
Are we talking a month, 6 months, just curious.

Thanks!

S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img

Last edited by philhu; 03-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #332
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydottee View Post
The WDC 6TB, that I tried to modify following the instructions, showed 4TB of usable space Tivo. But I cannot record anything on it. Tivo does not indicate why it does not record.
I think you're better off buying a 4TB drive that everyone else buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Are we talking a month, 6 months, just curious.
I was waiting to hear back if a new method was going to work, and it doesn't seem to, so I'm going back to the old way. Gonna need to figure out how long to test it. Should be less than a month.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #333
gespears

Quote:
I was waiting to hear back if a new method was going to work, and it doesn't seem to, so I'm going back to the old way. Gonna need to figure out how long to test it. Should be less than a month.
Thank you very much Telemark for all your hard work. Sorry the new way didn't work out. That's a bummer.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #334
HoosontheTeevo

Hello- New Tivo Roamio Plus owner here. Thanks for the help.

I have connected a DVR expander (that I used with my verizon dvr) to my Roamio plus - so I guess I have 2TB of storage. I am loving the 6 tuners and am rapidly filling up the storage space.

I would like to change the stock Roamio Plus 1TB and upgrade to a 4TB as instructed in this thread by Telemark in the first post. (or go to 6TB if that solution comes out in the near future).

What is the best way to harvest all the recordings that I want to save - to then copy them back onto the new 4TB drive when it goes in - KMTTG or Tivo Desktop (i have the old version)?

Is there any way to remove the hard drive and the external expander and do a direct copy/clone to the new drive that might be faster? The movies I've copied to my desktop pc over the ethernet via kmttg seem slow.

I assume the dvr expander external drive is sharing the recordings so there is no way to separately copy over the contents of it or of the internal drive - their intermixed?

Is there any way to first 'empty' the dvr expander - so I'm just dealing with the internal drive to remove and copy the contents of.

Thanks for any thoughts.

HoosontheTeevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #335
telemark

for HoosontheTeevo: I'm not working on migration any time soon, but there could be other people who are.

TS transfers tend to be faster than PS transfers. That might be one thing to check if you think it's running too slow.

The only other thing I can think of besides using transfers is, combining the internal+external onto a new internal drive. Is that 1TB+1TB=2TB ?

If you're lucky you can reuse the expander for 3TB total. I'm not aware of anyone trying it, so it's 50/50 chance that it would even work that way. Seems like a lot of work for just 1TB more, in case you have to migrate again later.

I'll let others chime in, lots of people play with the things you're asking about more than I do.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #336
HoosontheTeevo

thanks. and sorry but TS and PS transfers? - not sure what that stands for? (probably something obvious).

however I accomplish the show transfer - I would then like to use the dvr expander along with the new internal 4TB hard drive that I upgrade according to this thread and your instructions. Is there any need to wipe/reformat the dvr expander before adding it to the 4TB disk when I get that installed?

though in reading other posts and thinking about it - does adding the 1TB expander to the new 4TB internal just increase the chances for problems down the road - with the shared recordings and all.

thanks again.

Last edited by HoosontheTeevo; 03-11-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 AM   #337
telemark

TS is TransportStream
PS is ProgramStream
There should be an option in KMTTG somewhere for one or the other. TS should be faster and compatible if you're just loading it back into a Tivo.

A wipe of the first 64 sectors of an expander whenever re-purposing would be prudent, but is probably overly cautious.

I guess one way to put it, if you can do without the expander, do without it. If can't, then the risk might be worth it. Only you can decide how valuable preserving your recordings is, vs the convenience of having 1TB more of recordings.

You could also leave the expander on the shelf until you fill up completely whichever new internal drive you end up getting.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #338
HoosontheTeevo

Thanks for your time/thoughts Telemark. I think I'm going to try to 'get off of the expander'. i don't think i'm getting all of it's space anyway. i hope to move up to the 4TB internal. I'll let you know.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #339
cow736

Wow says I last visited in 2007. My old Tivo 2 analog doesn't work w/ ATSC so I got a good deal from TiVO on a Roamio HD. Want to pop in a 5TB since they're $125 give or take. If it's still too much trouble I guess a 4TB will do.

Any progress yet if this can be done? I can be a test subject since I have no recordings or season passes starting brand new.

cow736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #340
MrSinatra

hi all,

so I am considering getting a plus instead of a pro, and then sticking in a 4TB drive. I understand I need to prep it first.

I am pretty good on windows, and less so on mac. I have a usb to sata adapter, but I don't know if it goes up to 4TB, how would I test that?

here is the drive I am considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149569

http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessorie...B/PH3400U-1I72

any reason it wouldn't work? meaning, how sensitive is drive selection?

should I try the mac way in the first post first? I have to say I find the instructions somewhat confusing, as there seem to be multiple options and steps in some of the numbered instructions.

idc if I get every last second of the drive, I just want to get most of the 4TB usable, and have the drive installed before I ever first power up a roamio.

Last edited by MrSinatra; 04-13-2015 at 11:34 AM.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #341
telemark

What's the Make/Model of the USB-Sata adapter? If it's not a case, and is recently made, it's probably Ok.

That Toshiba drive is 7200. I don't know that it won't work. But fewer people have been using those types of drives. Is there a 5400 drive you're considering as well?

Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #342
MrSinatra

Quote:
What's the Make/Model of the USB-Sata adapter? If it's not a case, and is recently made, it's probably Ok.
its not the newest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156102

but I have no idea if it will handle 4TB or not. I want to buy a new one anyway, but I don't know how to tell if a new one will do 4TB either.

Quote:
That Toshiba drive is 7200. I don't know that it won't work. But fewer people have been using those types of drives. Is there a 5400 drive you're considering as well?
there wasn't, but are you saying that the Tivo WANTS the drive to be slower? that's counterintuitive to what I thought, which is the faster the drive, bigger the cache, etc, the better off you would be. 6 shows recording simultaneously while playing a 7th seems to demand speed, but perhaps I don't understand how it all works?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #343
jmbach

I have a Thermaltake USB2/eSata that is rated up to 3TB but I have had no issue with 4TB or 6TB drives.

Higher speeds mean more heat and increase power load on the power supply. 5400 or 5900 rpm drives are plenty fast enough and it is what comes with the TiVo.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #344
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
here is the drive I am considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149569

http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessorie...B/PH3400U-1I72

any reason it wouldn't work? meaning, how sensitive is drive selection?

should I try the mac way in the first post first? I have to say I find the instructions somewhat confusing, as there seem to be multiple options and steps in some of the numbered instructions.
From another thread you are crossposting in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Apparently nobody else has clicked on this link, or there would be alarms blaring, and flashing red lights, from all informed members involved here.

Here's the tried, tested, and most recommended hard drive product line you could buy (and the drive TiVo uses most, the WD AV Green EURX):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236602

Ignore the Newegg clickbait link, claiming there is a "newer version" available. It's NOT true. If you don't want to take my word for it, ask WD directly, and also ask if WD Purple PURX use in a TiVo is supported, so you can hear it from WD, that it is not (even though they "work").

TiVo sometimes uses a Seagate line of "green" (low power requirement) 5900RPM AV drives, with similar characteristics. But, they are almost never on sale, and tend to cost a lot more than WD drives (and use more power, which is not in unlimited supply in a TiVo). <snip>
If you want to go for the best experience, and the least hassle, please consider just going with the WD AV Green EURX drives, like the majority of people here do (and for good reasons).

The Hard Drive Upgrade Info thread for Roamio, is the place for research and questions, not requiring placement in the 4TB thread.

Only post/reply I will make here on this.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 AM   #345
imsai
Budding TivoHead

Lightbulb Check the power and thermal characterists!

I can't think of a >5400 RPM drive in the >4TB range that would not provide a heat risk to itself, the power supply if internal, and the Tivo hardware itself. Since the Roamio is the result of a move from a metal case with plastic front to basically a plastic case with metal EM shield/reinforcement, It's just not a tolerant environment for overheating. I live in the Southwest in an a mostly un-A/C'ed house, so it's a big deal for me. I'm still considering reboxing/casemodding my Roamio to a metalized and/or heat-sinked box at end-of-warranty. Maybe put it in an old Tivo box just to freak friends.

I have had very good luck with the Hitachi GST H3IK40003254SP (0S03359) 4TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" internal HD.

Since I was going with base model Roamio, the heat profile, spinup energy and wattage were really important (2.2A@12VDC powers it all). I also wanted a drive that was vibration-tolerant, and would handle UPS transitions well.

Hitachi seems to have a *way* better overall lifespan in a server/raid/iSCSI/AV/surveillance (constant-up) environment, not just their server models but mid- to high-end consumer drives being put in constant-use arrays of various kinds. Several companies in the server/cloud/ISP biz have put out like reports.

None of the Seagates passed scrutiny, and I got a heckuva deal on the HGST when WDs were showing up OOS or $@50%+ more. I also wouldn't be violating the warranty on a WD drive by making necessary mods to spindown settings, since the HGST drives were already set correctly.

I wasn't that impressed with what I was seeing from Fujitsu or Samsung for constant-on energy use, thermal characteristics and heat/vibration/EM tolerance.

I run mostly WD Reds and Samsungs in my raid applications, but have not been impressed with the quality control in the (4+)TB drive segment for WDs, Seagates, or Samsungs, with the exception of the "old" WD Green EURX. I hear it's "getting better", but my next raid purchase is likely to be HGSTs.

The Hitchi is a bit noisier on seeks (not completely, utterly silent), but not unless you listen closely and up close. Can't hear it when the TV, HTPC, or amp is on, it has to be an empty house at early AM to hear it at all, and usually only when I'm streaming backups from the Tivo while it's recording.

Hope this helps give you some tools to make a smart choice for your 4TB Roamio.

imsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:19 AM   #346
telemark

If someone has the $$$ to burn, the Helium filled drives are 7200rpm and lower heat than 5400 drives.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #347
kuyper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsai View Post
I have had very good luck with the Hitachi GST H3IK40003254SP (0S03359) 4TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" internal HD.

Since I was going with base model Roamio, the heat profile, spinup energy and wattage were really important (2.2A@12VDC powers it all). I also wanted a drive that was vibration-tolerant, and would handle UPS transitions well.

Hitachi seems to have a *way* better overall lifespan in a server/raid/iSCSI/AV/surveillance (constant-up) environment, not just their server models but mid- to high-end consumer drives being put in constant-use arrays of various kinds. Several companies in the server/cloud/ISP biz have put out like reports.
Imsai, you're 100% spot-on with those HGST drives. I have 5 of them in my FreeNAS filer and they're phenomenal. As close as you'll get to Enterprise grade for $150, so thanks for confirming that you had success as that's exactly what I was planning on installing in mine!

Kuyper

kuyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #348
zerdian1
Roamio PRO, Roamio,

Telemark,
thanks
and to think I used to do this (in my sleep) for a living for NASA in the days of the Moon Landings.
now at 70 I just like plug and play stuff

Quote:
Unix: Works
Mac: Works (but most mac's don't have SATA ports which then requires a modern USB-Sata adapter.)
Windows: VHD available...Testing new cloning software...

Requires:
4TB hard drive
Tivo Roamio
Computer with a free Sata or eSata port
USB docks may work, but not recommended
(many older USB docks have bugs that don't go up 4TB)

UNIX (Linux*/BSD/Mac) Command Line Installers
The autoinstaller will search for drives for one with a Tivo signature**,
download the image from the Net, and overwrite the drive with the image.

* If needing a liveCD, knoppix has been tested
** If the drive is missing a signature, booting it in a Roamio will add a signature, or you can manually add one with a hex editor [0x1492]

PC / Mac side:
1) Connect Hard Drive to Computer (disconnect other HD's with important data)

2) on PC: Boot from linux CD or USB stick on PC's.
on Mac: boot normally into OS X. When asked to "Initialize" an unknown drive, just say No / Ignore / Cancel.

3) Open Terminal, by clicking Terminal icon

4) Download Auto Installer, by typing at prompt:
wget "http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxA/autoinstall.pl"
( or wget --no-check-certificate "http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxA/autoinstall.pl" )
Another option is:
curl -L http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxA/autoinstall.pl -o autoinstall.pl

Enable execution by typing:
chmod +x autoinstall.pl

5) Start installer.

On PC Linux or Apple Mac run:
sudo ./autoinstall.pl

This will ask for the account password.

Lots of text will fly by, just follow along a best you can.
The most important thing is to
Check that it chooses the right drive.
(you did already disconnect all your important drives, right?)

It'll ask before making permanent changes, then
when it starts writing...

6) Take a break to let it finish
~20mins on USB2
Less on USB3 or Sata
More on USB1

Alternate 4) Image + Basic Installer:
wget --no-check-certificate "http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxB/4TBr1.tgz"
bypasses safety mechanisms, so know what you're doing or
don't use..

Tivo Roamio side:
7) Connect drive
8) Turn on Power to Tivo
9) Wait until Guided Setup (takes about 4 mins for first boot)
10) Celebrate and Donate what you think it's worth.

Known limitations:
No data is migrated over (pytivo/kmttg backups should work)
Cable Card will likely need to be re-paired, but in a smaller number of cases, this did not apply
Not supersized
Found Tivo bug, variance in fsck mount frequency, should be inconsequential

Donations here:
paypal or amazon-e-gift-card: marked @ gmail.com
bitcoin:1Hvpf8qV8UJ8SS33QJ6VskggAStQQDnYp6

Credits and Thank You to
jmbach - for extensive testing and lots of direction
ggieske - for tricky MFS answers and
eboydog - for initial motivation

Terms:
Image and Installer Copyright 2014.
License granted for personal use within a household.
No commercial use or redistribution without prior permission.
No warranty provided.

Had 2 Series One TiVos
Had 3 ReplayTVs
Worked on USA NASA Moon Landings
Retired Chief Scientist
zerdian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #349
hankbates

Worked great for me

Using WD40EURX, purchased as new other from eBay.
Had a little difficulty finding the terminal on knoppix, but found it was just a matter with screen resolution.
I thought I was going to have problems when I couldn't connect to the web page with the primary address, just had to tell it not to look for certificate, as you showed.
Thanks, Telemark!

hankbates is offline   Reply With Quote