TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
dgrrr

Help replacing DVD burner in Toshiba RS-TX60

The DVD burner drive died in my mother's Toshiba RS-TX60 unit.

(1) What are the limitations on which DVD burners I can use to replace it? (e.g., DVD-r vs DVD+rw, brands, etc)

(2) How different is replacing the DVD drive in such a unit from replacing a DVD drive on a Windows PC?

(3) Anyone know the name / size of the wrench needed to remove the six screws / bolts that secure the case?

(I looked for this info on internet and could not find it.)
dgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

This is a common question in this forum. A quick search turned up http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=384723 which should get you started.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
dgrrr

Thank you, but I already saw that post -- it's not relevant enough for my needs. They're discussing a different unit (model & brand & possibly several generations). They are discussing it at a level over my head. And -- after reading the whole thing -- I see that the reply posts seem to disagree about limitations on which DVD burner drives can be used. (There's a mention of burners needing to be specially flashed to work with the TIVO OS, but again I can't tell if there's a consensus.)

My question should be a common question here, one that's discussed in layman's terms in a sticky or FAQ. If the post you cited is the closest thing to that... Then maybe this forum & the weaknees.com people are related...? (I don't mean that in a nasty way.)

FYI, aside from the post you cited, when I tried googling:
tivo RS-TX60 replacing dvd drive
tivo RS-TX60 new dvd burner
How to replace DVD drive in tivo
tivo RS-TX60 manual

and all I got were ads for parts, ads for doing service, and bogus manual downloads.

So that I can learn - anyone who posts links to other pages, please post your search criteria. Thx!

Last edited by dgrrr : 10-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

No search criteria other than memory. That is the best thread on the subject. The drives are made by pioneer and it looks like the last person to be successful installed a DVR-116. A quick look at the Pioneer website shows that they currently make and ship the DVR-118 which may or may not be compatible.

So your choices are to either find an old DVR-108 through DVR-116 drive on eBay or Craig's list, or buy a new DVR-118 and give it a try. The fact that so many models were backward compatible and that a new drive costs less than $40 would make me favor the latter approach.

I don't know how more simply it can be put in layman's terms. Those are the drive model numbers you would buy. It really doesn't get any simpler than that. If you are looking for a report from another user having done a drive replacement in the last couple of months, this is where they would post their success if they were inclined to do so. The fact that there are no such posts just means there are very few RS-TX DVRs left in the wild, or their DVD drives are very robust, or both.

Whatever path you take, you will do the next person a favor by posting your results to that thread.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Just to add to this thread, the DVD burner must be IDE. I think it has to be set to CS (cable select), too. I've done some successful replacements with Pioneer DVR-108 and DVR-109 drives. From the related thread, it looks like the DVR-116 will work, too.

Good luck,

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
dgrrr

To CuriousMark - I apologize. I'm not sure what happened but when I first checked out the link you provided I ended up at a different thread, one called "Final Word on Replacing DVD drive in DRT800?" Hence my confusion. The thread you provided was totally relevant and answered my question about which wrench I'll need (a T10 Torx Tool, & maybe a T15).

To Robomeister - thanks for the extra info on the usable models.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
dgrrr

PS for my own knowledge - my first search at this forum was for:
tivo RS-TX60 replacing dvd drive

Even if I change the 60 to a 20 and search for:
tivo RS-TX20 replacing dvd drive

I still don't get the needed post:
Pioneer DVR-115 DVD Useable in Toshiba RS-TX20

Any ideas why?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I agree, you should have seen that with your search criteria. I am not at all sure why you didn't. I am glad to hear you now know what you need to do the replacement. Someday my Humax may need the same thing, but so far it is still working well with the original DVD burner. So I keep that thread in mind for the day I will need it.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
mrfixit454

dgrr,

Were you successful yet?
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Rhirerilefzef

]

]

]
Rhirerilefzef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
dgrrr

YES I WAS SUCCESSFUL, sorry I didn't get back to you guys.
I replaced the DVD drive in the Toshiba RS-TX60 with a new
pioneer DVR-115D dvd/cd burner

However, besides making lots of noise, it fails to burn about half the time. My mother discovered if she unplugs the tivo and repowers it up eevery time she wants to burn something, then it tends to burn correctly. But now that's failing.

I'm going to get a third (second replacement) dvd burner, and if it has the same problem, I'll try flashing it.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
dgrrr

I replaced the pioneer DVR-115D with a pioneer DVR-111DBK (used). Burns get stuck and/or fail.

Do you think flashing the dvd drive bios is worth bothering with?