TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
clherv

Ask me about FIOS DVR vs Tivo XL4--we just switched

We just switched from FIOS DVR to Tivo.

We like it better in every way, so ask us a question if you are wondring.

If you are FIOS DVR user, and have never had Tivo, it is hard to explain, but you would be happier with Tivo.

Only regret (possibly) if we had waited a couple of weeks to today, we could have saved $150 by buying the just released Premiere 4 which seems to be the same except for HD size.

That reminds me--so happy to have 4 tuners
clherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
jap3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clherv View Post
We just switched from FIOS DVR to Tivo.

We like it better in every way, so ask us a question if you are wondring.

If you are FIOS DVR user, and have never had Tivo, it is hard to explain, but you would be happier with Tivo.
How do you watch Pay-per-view or on-demand?
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
lrhorer

Who cares? With a TiVo, VOD is pretty much a moot question, and I never used IPPV even when it was free. I can live very well without the 1 show in 100 or so I can't get via ordinary cable channels.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
clherv

jap3,

the literal answer to your question is: we don't.

We had DirectTV with Tivo until May when we were forced to do something else which was FIOS. That came with a free STB, but shortly we got one of their DVRs. VOD on the STB sounded nice because it let us watch some popular TV shows that we had not recorded, but not so much fun because they did not allow rewinding or FF and such.

VZ also gave us a free movie in the VOD. I kept looking for a movie I wanted to watch and finally after some weeks picked Scooby Doo which was pretty silly.

Thing is, we can still have the VOD on the free STB without the DVR. We just need to install a coax splitter, and have the STB output go to the RCA jacks on the TV versus the HDMI the Tivo uses. That will be nice for things like the VZ account information and possibly customer support. But, I don't expect we will ever do the VOD.

I don't know how we could do PPV on the STB (although I assume we could) because I never explored it.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

From what I've seen, VOD is basically like watching Hulu. You have no transport control while watching any VOD program except perhaps the Pause function. I think I've only watched one or two PPV movies in the past 25 years, and that was just to get a movie for the kids when we had company (I think it was a free promotion anyway).

VOD and PPV are highly overrated. If I want to watch a movie I'll wait until it's available from NetFlix on Blu-Ray. If it's worth watching, it's worth waiting for. Chances are there are very few programs available on VOD I'd be interested in watching that I haven't already recorded.

To the OP - everyone here that owns a Tivo already knows they're better DVRs than what you can get from your provider so they already know what you just discovered.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
clherv

mr. unnatural

Regarding your last comment: Understandable, but there are people on this board that are trying to decide. I was and am trying to be helpful.

I meet people in real life that have a FIOS DVR and don't understand that Tivo would matter
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap3 View Post
How do you watch Pay-per-view or on-demand?
You can watch PPV on a Tivo just fine. All you have to do is call and order the event. It's no different than ordering HBO.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
jap3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
You can watch PPV on a Tivo just fine. All you have to do is call and order the event. It's no different than ordering HBO.
Thank you. I don't think I was aware that I could watch PPV on my Tivo.

I've had Tivo for at least the last 10 years. Had a DirecTivo but when the box wasn't updated and mine died I switched to Fios and bought a Series 3 (the one with the LED display on front). With pyTivo and some other "tools" I really don't need PPV or on demand, but I though on demand would be easier to watch a conflict show that didn't record instead of uploading it to my tivo to watch and all that goes along with that.

I like the idea of a 4 turner Tivo, but I love the LED display on my S3. I don't watch a ton of non-Tivo TV so the TV is mostly off. I can glance down at my tivo and know that Doctor Who or something else is recording and check it out if I forgot it was coming on.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
clherv

Not sure about the LED display you mention, but the XL4 has four circle LEDs. The number lit are the number currently being recorded
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
jap3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clherv View Post
Not sure about the LED display you mention, but the XL4 has four circle LEDs. The number lit are the number currently being recorded
The LED on the S3 has two LEDS but it has an LED display that shows the name of the show or shows recording. I like it because if the wife has something recording, I don't have to waste time turning on the TV to find out what it is. Our tastes don't exactly match when it comes to TV.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
haplo888

I have both FIOS DVR and Tivo.

Tivo is better in every way, features, performance and reliability.

The FIOS DVR has frequent errors, on demand crashes, ect. Not to mention the infuriating practice of disabling fast forward during many On Demand programs so you can't control what you watch. Besides there's nothing on On Demand that you can't get via Hulu, Netflix or Amazon.

If I wasn't getting the FIOS DVR for free I'd return it now.
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote