TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #151
danderson400

my question is how did the networks handle sport overruns or presidential speeches back in the day?

danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #152
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
my question is how did the networks handle sport overruns or presidential speeches back in the day?
Google "Heidi game".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #153
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Google "Heidi game".
Yep, and since then, I think it's been the same way as now. If it weren't for 60 Minutes being highly rated back in the day, I'd bet they would be handling much like Fox does. 60 Minutes still gets a significant bump in ratings one football overrun days so I doubt they are going to change anything.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #154
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yep, and since then, I think it's been the same way as now. If it weren't for 60 Minutes being highly rated back in the day, I'd bet they would be handling much like Fox does. 60 Minutes still gets a significant bump in ratings one football overrun days so I doubt they are going to change anything.
Actually, CBS put "60 Minutes" on hiatus during football season 1972-75 and there was a brief period where they would air an abbreviated version if football ran over.

Caveat: the hiatus is according to wiki. The airing of an abbreviated version is from personal memory.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #155
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Actually, CBS put "60 Minutes" on hiatus during football season 1972-75 and there was a brief period where they would air an abbreviated version if football ran over.

Caveat: the hiatus is according to wiki. The airing of an abbreviated version is from personal memory.
I've seen them run abbreviated versions of 60 Minutes even today if CBS is running a special of some sort. Generally not done if it's in advance of their regular lineup.

So from 1975 on they've done what they do now? That's 40 years, so I think they've found what works well for them.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #156
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My theory has always been that if they did a compressed version of 60 Minutes to fit the available time after a game ends (like NBC used to co with Dateline), the correspondents would have to go to the studio live...and that's past their bedtime.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #157
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My theory has always been that if they did a compressed version of 60 Minutes to fit the available time after a game ends (like NBC used to co with Dateline), the correspondents would have to go to the studio live...and that's past their bedtime.
Naw, they just removed segments. Got too much flack from "60 Minutes" viewers so they went to the current delay system. I think there were more occasions when they would simply not air a later show.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #158
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Naw, they just removed segments. Got too much flack from "60 Minutes" viewers so they went to the current delay system. I think there were more occasions when they would simply not air a later show.
Most of us 60 Minutes viewers are dying off

Old 09-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #159
danderson400

have the Emmys been delayed by the NFL? the only time i can think was in 2003(FOX) although it was a singleheader for them

Old 09-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #160
danderson400

i got to feel for FOX though because the Cowboys Eagles game was not a great Emmy lead-in maybe FOX should have been given the game in Jacksonville or Oakland as a backup game

Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #161
danderson400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I've seen them run abbreviated versions of 60 Minutes even today if CBS is running a special of some sort. Generally not done if it's in advance of their regular lineup.

So from 1975 on they've done what they do now? That's 40 years, so I think they've found what works well for them.
they ran abbreviated versions of 60 Minutes after the following games:
Browns-Bears, 4:15, CBS, Greg Gumbel, Phil Simms
Browns-Packers, 4:15, CBS, Jim Nantz, Phil Simms
Ravens Chargers in 09 with Dick Enberg and Dan Fouts
the Bills Jets game a few years ago(60 Minutes got preempted that time)
wasn't there a game before the CBS at 75 special? Yep. Bengals-Cardinals, 4, CBS, Don Criqui, Steve Tasker or Steelers-Seahawks, 4, CBS, Dick Enberg, Dan Dierdorf I had Sunday Ticket at the time and can remember neither Criqui or Enberg saying that 60 Minutes would be seen in its entirety I wonder what CBS would have done if there was OT at either game that night

Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #162
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
i got to feel for FOX though because the Cowboys Eagles game was not a great Emmy lead-in maybe FOX should have been given the game in Jacksonville or Oakland as a backup game
lol

yeah.... that would have drawn a crowd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #163
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
"In the day," if a sporting event ran 30 minutes or longer over (and this happened quite often with CBS's golf coverage, as if the event needed a playoff, there was a delay while the golfers had to get back to the first hole where the TV cameras were located), a program would be pre-empted, although it was never 60 Minutes. Occasionally, CBS would mess its west coast feed up by airing the following programs an hour earlier than advertised.

I vaguely remember seeing a 60 Minutes story air, and then air again one or two weeks later, with the explanation that, the first time, it only aired in the west.

Also, there were Presidential campaign ads that would run in the last five minutes of a time slot; in those situations, the networks would actually cut five minutes from a program (and air the entire version when it was repeated).

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote