TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #61
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And those fees are paid by the cableCo to the provider per subscriber, not per TV set in the house. Same for HSI - the cableCo incurs a cost per drop for bandwidth etc., not for every device in the house that uses it.

This is the point that you are missing - the outlet fees are just a money grab once you get that.
that's the general thinking- but do we KNOW that? If I was HBO i would demand a cut of the additional outlet fee (even if it's just a few pennies). And I'd think cable would be hard pressed to come up with an argument explaining how cable should get a cut per TV but HBO shouldn't. Curious if anyone really knows one way or another.

Anyway- the big picture is there's nothing about fairness or who own's what or comparing fruit- it's all about what the market will bear. And DBS proved to cable that people wont walk over 'mirroring fees' so cable got permission from the feds for digital additional outlet fees. That's pretty much the bottom line.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I called in for a service issue and while I was on the phone I asked about what, if any, changes would occur if I turned in my HD box. I was told nothing would change since I was told the "HD Tech Fee" is needed to get HD service on any box, not just Comcast owned ones.

So I said there is really no point at all in returning it. He didn't agree with me, but he didn't disagree either. He just said that it will stop working if left unplugged for a long period of time. You'd think Comcast would want it back, rather than have me put it in a closet or something.

On a semi-related note, the service person said I was had their "TiVo Premiere" service which lets me get On Demand on the TiVo Premiere. They said that you have to have a certain level of service to get that, which I do. Interestingly enough, it even lists that I have a "TiVo Premiere" under the Equipment area of the Comcast Troubleshooting Page, which is kind of interesting.

funny that mine doesn't show any of my equipment - i own 2 premiers and a S3 and own my own phone/modem/thingie.

Anyway- the good news is they turned on VOD for me too (even though no email or on screen messages).

The bad news is they must have went through the tivo accounts to enable vod and noticed my deal and 'corrected' it. I still pay nothing for cablecards, and zero additional outlet fees, but for some reason just got my bill and now they only are giving me 2 of the bring your own equipment fees now instead of 4 that i used to get. Still- since i'm not getting dinged any additional outlet fees or HD fee's i guess it's best not to call and complain that they really should be giving me 3 of the $2.50 credits.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #63
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
funny that mine doesn't show any of my equipment - i own 2 premiers and a S3 and own my own phone/modem/thingie.

Anyway- the good news is they turned on VOD for me too (even though no email or on screen messages).

The bad news is they must have went through the tivo accounts to enable vod and noticed my deal and 'corrected' it. I still pay nothing for cablecards, and zero additional outlet fees, but for some reason just got my bill and now they only are giving me 2 of the bring your own equipment fees now instead of 4 that i used to get. Still- since i'm not getting dinged any additional outlet fees or HD fee's i guess it's best not to call and complain that they really should be giving me 3 of the $2.50 credits.
Your deal is better than mine, I don't pay any outlet fees and do pay $1.15/month for each of my 4 cable cards, Comcast also told me that the HD box that came with my triple play package is free and returning it would save me nothing. I get no credit for my own equipment and have 4 CC TiVos.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #64
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

And people wonder why we get mad at Comcast about outlet fees for cards. 4 cards at $1.15 each? What a deal. And as we see here others have said they don't get charged anything for cards, and sometimes get credits for each one (which means the more cards you get, the cheaper your bill).

This is what the FCC dropped the ball on - the complete lack of consistency with their billing practices, which goes against the regs they put in last year that say card charges must be uniformly applied.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote