Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #91
cl8855
woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Absolutely. If you ever happen to watch 'Every Little a Step,' in which he's one of many hopeful auctioneers for a role in a Broadway revival of A Chorus Line, you'll see that he's even worse than he seems on SYTYCD. He's a horrible person.
this + 10000

I like valerie a lot, but she seemed the weakest tonight to me...

RIcky should prob win
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #92
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Over the weekend I began hearing that ratings have been so low that there is a serious threat of cancellation after this season.

As fans, let's do what we can to try and prevent that and hashtag away on Twitter!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #93
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Over the weekend I began hearing that ratings have been so low that there is a serious threat of cancellation after this season.
The numbers aren't that bad, especially considering it's up against Big Brother and America's Got Talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the show moved to a different night next season. The problem is, which one? Tuesday is still up against AGT; Thursday is still up against BB; the show seems to depend on the 18-49 demographic, so Friday is not a good idea; Saturday is out of the question because of baseball, unless Fox moves it to Fox Sports 1 (which I doubt), and even then, the same demographic problem with Fridays applies; Sunday is also pretty much out of the question as Fox isn't going to move The Simpsons (even in repeats) out of the 8:00 slot. That leaves Monday, but I think Fox wants to keep MasterChef there.

There's always Plan B: move the show to FXX.

I think the real problem is, the show seems to be targeted at people who are "dance fans" to the point where they probably already know all of the finalists even before the season starts, although if it really was that way, chances are they would all write in to ask that the show get rid of the viewer vote and have choreographers decide "America's best dancer". Who else is going to pay decent money to see them on tour?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #94
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

For me, the problem is that none of the contestants this year have any sort of personality. When we are down to six left and I still don't know their names, that's a problem.
Also, Mary gushing over mediocre performances trying to make a "moment" happen is insulting to me. It's as if she was there purely to put lipstick on pigs.

I've all but quit watching- I think I have four episodes to view on my DVR.
Normally I have it on in the background and watch it the next night, but two weeks ago the hideous music ticked me off so badly I changed the channel and this last week I didn't even bother to have it on while it recorded.
I'll probably just watch the finale.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #95
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I just realized something...

The Season 11 tour starts in early October, and promises that the winner will be in it. What happens when the show starts and there's an announcement:
"Ladies and gentlemen, we know we promised the Top 10 dancers would be performing, but unfortunately, the winner has a commitment to perform in On the Town on Broadway tonight...er, where is half of the audience going?...anyway, we have invited the four dancers eliminated from the Top 14 to-"
(voice from the back) "The box office is closed, and they're not giving refunds!"
(voice from the audience) "Storm the stage!"
Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #96
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
For me, the problem is that none of the contestants this year have any sort of personality. When we are down to six left and I still don't know their names, that's a problem.
Also, Mary gushing over mediocre performances trying to make a "moment" happen is insulting to me. It's as if she was there purely to put lipstick on pigs.

I've all but quit watching- I think I have four episodes to view on my DVR.
Normally I have it on in the background and watch it the next night, but two weeks ago the hideous music ticked me off so badly I changed the channel and this last week I didn't even bother to have it on while it recorded.
I'll probably just watch the finale.
I have 5 of them in the folder myself... About 10 hours worth... Personally, I Can't STAND the new trend in reality shows to kill the golden goose by making the shows 2 hours long. My wife and I only have about 2 hours to watch TV together and it irks me that these shows want to monopolize my entire evening. We've tried splitting them into to two one hour chunks, but that just means they sit in the folders even longer and get older and older...

It's just greed pure and simple, and it's a huge part of why I'm not enjoying or keeping up on what used to be, my favorite shows. Too much of a time commitment and too much filler.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #97
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Personally, I Can't STAND the new trend in reality shows to kill the golden goose by making the shows 2 hours long. My wife and I only have about 2 hours to watch TV together and it irks me that these shows want to monopolize my entire evening. We've tried splitting them into to two one hour chunks, but that just means they sit in the folders even longer and get older and older...
"New" trend? What performance-based reality shows (SYTYCD, AGT, Idol, X Factor, DWTS) haven't started their live shows with 2-hour shows every season? The only way you could get them down to one hour is if you got rid of the judges, and the networks are under the impression that a considerable number of people watch these shows primarily to see what the judges do.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #98
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
"New" trend? What performance-based reality shows (SYTYCD, AGT, Idol, X Factor, DWTS) haven't started their live shows with 2-hour shows every season? The only way you could get them down to one hour is if you got rid of the judges, and the networks are under the impression that a considerable number of people watch these shows primarily to see what the judges do.
Worse yet they seem to want to add more judges theses days which adds to the blather and reduces times for the performances.

If it weren't for them being cheap to produce relative to scripted shows I think their time would have passed.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #99
mooseAndSquirrel

I think Ricky and Jessica are spectacular dancers.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #100
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't recall everything being two hours until a couple of seasons ago. There may have been one or two 2 hour shows, but not ALL of them. Either that or they were so much more entertaining that I didn't notice how long they were.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #101
zalusky

The big guys always had 2 hour performance shows and in some cases 1 hour results shows. Now that ratings are dropping they dumped the results shows.

Survivor, Amazing Race were able to be edited into a 1 hour block and are a different animal entirely.
You can bet that the cooking competitions would have gone two hour if they had the ratings.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #102
tem

yay for Ricky !

For some reason it went over our heads that there was only 1 winner this year vs. 2 the last 2 seasons, even as they described the prize package. Ricky and Valerie seemed like locks for the top 2 anyhow.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote