TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
jimkraft

Computer output into Tivo?

On my Tivo Premier, is there any way to INPUT video/audio from my computer? E.g. On my computer, I can watch PBS TV programs from out-of-state locations (so they're not on my local cable channels). Is there any way to connect that computer video to my Tivo?
jimkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

If you are recording something on a HTPC, you can transfer it to the tivo any number of ways.

If you are looking to duplicate your computer screen on the tivo, then no. But, if that is what you wanted I would just connect the pc to the TV anyhow.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
jimkraft

Thanks. But I'm not "recording" on the PC, I'm "streaming."

So, sure, I can just connect the computer directly to the television (so the TV becomes another computer monitor). But then I don't have any of the Tivo functionality.

Isn't there any way I can feed my stream into the Tivo?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

No. Apps don't even necessarily work the same way as a native tivo recording or transfer.

However, on a regular premiere you can connect an antenna along with the cable. If you are getting OTA PBS on your pc that should work just fine.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
monkeydust

If you have recorded programs on your computer you want to stream to your Tivo, you can just use the program "Stream, Baby, Stream". Very easy to use and works great (and free!)
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkraft View Post
Thanks. But I'm not "recording" on the PC, I'm "streaming."

So, sure, I can just connect the computer directly to the television (so the TV becomes another computer monitor). But then I don't have any of the Tivo functionality.

Isn't there any way I can feed my stream into the Tivo?
No, you cannot feed something you are streaming to the computer directly to the TiVo. Depending on the source, however, you may be able to directly stream to the TiVo. Even if you can, you still may not have all of the "TiVo functionality".

Can you post an example of a server you are accessing for the streams?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
On my Tivo Premier, is there any way to INPUT video/audio from my computer? E.g. On my computer, I can watch PBS TV programs from out-of-state locations (so they're not on my local cable channels). Is there any way to connect that computer video to my Tivo?
Assuming that you could convert your PC video output to something like composite video, the answer would still be "no" for the Premiere because it only has cable and antenna RF inputs. Maybe if you could find an old-time RF modulator it might work but the video quality from all of the conversions would probably not be good. That being said, an S2 box has composite inputs and I have used those to record from a VCR. Not much help for you, but that is how far back you need to go to get that capability.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
jimkraft

Thanks for all the suggestions. But it appears the answer is a solid "no."

But, just curious... In a world where vast amounts of programming are ONLY available on the internet, why isn't this a standard Tivo feature? Sure, if that programming is YouTube, Hulu, Netflix or Amazon, it works. But otherwise my expensive, "intenet enabled" Tivo is useless. What am I missing here?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Tivo is first and foremost a DVR.

It is not a PC.

While it has apps, there is not a huge marketplace for them, since the act of just having a quality DVR reduces the need to purchase content.

Last edited by jrtroo : 09-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
turbobozz

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. But it appears the answer is a solid "no."

But, just curious... In a world where vast amounts of programming are ONLY available on the internet, why isn't this a standard Tivo feature? Sure, if that programming is YouTube, Hulu, Netflix or Amazon, it works. But otherwise my expensive, "intenet enabled" Tivo is useless. What am I missing here?
Why can't TiVo time-shift/record an input from another source?
Probably because it's just asking for trouble from the content owners.
It's also an added cost for hardware, software, and support.
(And TiVo's install base really isn't that big.)

Why can't TiVo just act as a web browser?
The S4's available generic CPU power is roughly in the neighborhood of the original iPhone from 5 years ago (iirc).
The smartphone refresh cycle in the past 5 years has been making products that don't refresh fast look positively ancient as far as generic CPU capabilities go.
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote