TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
CH MN

Photo Topics

New to TiVo, using Premiere (OTA only). Wanted to view Personal Photos, so I installed TiVo Desktop (v2.8.2) and have HD Photo enabled. In the process of learning how to view photos I made the following observations:

From TiVo Central - Photos and Music, I see "Photos on Computer Name". Quality of photos does not seem too good here. From TiVo Central - Showcases and Extras, I see "User Name Photos on Computer Name". Maybe it is my imagination, but I think the same photos look better here, although still not as good as on my PC, so I think the first menu is SD and the seconds is "Higher" Def. No where in the Viewer Guide or Support site do I see any explanation of what these different menu items are though.

In the Showcases and Extras - User Name Photos on Computer Name, I see something called "Flikr Interesting" next to the folder with my photos. what exactly is this? Why is it not with the photos from Photobucket and Piccsa? Even though I can view these photos from Flikr, I do not see any ability to access and use it like the other photo services, so I am little confused why it is included at all, and why there is so little explanation/help for these features.
CH MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You're not imagining it. The photos under "Photos & Music" are rendered with a built-in HMO-based viewer which, sadly, TiVo has never upgraded, so it still works at SD resolution. Perhaps someday it will be upgraded to HD resolution as part of the gradual replacement of SD menus with HD versions in the HDUI.

Meanwhile, the "Showcases & Apps" photo viewer is a Java HME app that talks back to an HMO server (like TiVo Desktop) over the network, even though it comes bundled with TD and runs on the same machine. The Flickr viewer is part of the "HD Photos" HME app, while the Photobucket/Picasa viewer is (I think) an HME app that runs on a tivo.com server, which TiVo has pinned to the "Music & Photos" menu. (Normally, all HME apps appear under "Showcases & Apps", but TiVo can make its own apps appear in any menu.)

Yeah, you probably didn't follow that. I could explain it in much more detail, but it would take a while. Let me put it this way: It's the way it is largely for historical reasons. (HMO came first.) TiVo should probably consider not announcing the HMO photo service in TiVo Desktop if the HME app is enabled, so you'd only see one entry in the menus. But, they didn't do it that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
CH MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You're not imagining it...
Thanks for the explanation, although you did lose me with the HMO and HME discussion, but bottom line the first menu is SD is and second menu is Higher D.

Some additional comments
1. The viewer guide, support FAQ, knowlege base, something should document these details, so users know what is what.

2a. Flickr should be it own app not lumped in with my photos.

2b. If they are going to include some Flickr functionality why not actually include the ability to view my Flickr account (if I had one), and put it where the other photo apps are displayed.

3. Even the quality of the HD photo viewer is not as good as it should be. I understand why a free web based service may need to limit file size and bandwidth usage, but not a dedicated media device getting data from a local server on a high speed LAN.

I am not just talking about resolution, the color, contrast, hue, etc of photos is no where near as accurate as other content (ie recorded broadcasts). That must be a function of compression/transmission, poor image rendering algorithm, or something.

Thanks again for the info.
CH MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Pictures in the HD viewer are limited to slightly below 1280x720. Video always tends to look better than stills at a given resolution. Color is a complex issue...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote