TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
markbagley

Can't Connect to TIVO Service - Time Warner Signature Home Service

I have used TIVO for years now with no problem. This past week we decided to upgrade to Time Warner Cable's Signature Home Service, which they installed a Ubee DDW3611 router to replace my Netgear router.

Since then, i have not been able to get my Tivo box to connect to the Tivo service. I have tried to add the ports documented by Tivo to the Port Triggering page. I have turned off Wan Blocking and Multicast and UPnP are enabled. I spent a good part of the day talking to Tivo and TWC support, to no real help. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what i haven't been able to figure out.

- Series 2 dual tuner Tivo Box
- Set up on a TV without the digital cable - the TV plays fine through the TIVO box, so i know that part is working.

I am hoping someone that has been through this might can point me in the right direction.
markbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbagley View Post
I have used TIVO for years now with no problem. This past week we decided to upgrade to Time Warner Cable's Signature Home Service, which they installed a Ubee DDW3611 router to replace my Netgear router.

Since then, i have not been able to get my Tivo box to connect to the Tivo service. I have tried to add the ports documented by Tivo to the Port Triggering page. I have turned off Wan Blocking and Multicast and UPnP are enabled. I spent a good part of the day talking to Tivo and TWC support, to no real help. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what i haven't been able to figure out.

- Series 2 dual tuner Tivo Box
- Set up on a TV without the digital cable - the TV plays fine through the TIVO box, so i know that part is working.

I am hoping someone that has been through this might can point me in the right direction.
Can you ping the TiVo?

Would you know what IP address to use to try that?

Is a Ubee DDW3611 router a combination cable modem and router?

Is it wireless?

Is that S2 DT connected via Cat 5 or wireless adapter?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
markbagley

tried the connection again, and it worked tonight. maybe i finally hit the right combination mentioned above, but it took time to work through the configuration.

I can ping the tivo box now.
The Ubee is the wireless router, seperate from the modem
The connection to the Tivo box is wired Cat 5, not wireless.

I seem to be back in good shape, at least at the present time. Thanks for looking at this ...
markbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
tried the connection again, and it worked tonight. maybe i finally hit the right combination mentioned above, but it took time to work through the configuration.

I can ping the tivo box now.
The connection to the Tivo box is wired Cat 5, not wireless.

I seem to be back in good shape, at least at the present time. Thanks for looking at this ...
I still recommend the TiVo, and everything else on your home network that doesn't travel, be assigned a fixed IP address. Avoid DHCP whenever possible.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Since then, i have not been able to get my Tivo box to connect to the Tivo service. I have tried to add the ports documented by Tivo to the Port Triggering page.
You don't want port triggering. You want to open those ports for communications, if the stateful inspection does not allow them through. Triggering requires that you know both the outbound destination port and the inbound destination port, and in general one does not. Some routers require one open the ports for every protocol that will penetrate the firewall, but others don't even offer the capability.

Quote:
That's probably a big part of the problem. The UBEE DDW3611 is wireless cable gateway. There should be no other layer 3 devices in the path to the internet, and that includes a DOCSIS modem. The DOCSIS modem is built into the DDW3611, and it does not have a WAN port (except the built in DOCSIS interface, of course). If you have one of those LAN ports plugged into a cable modem, then the 3611 is doing nothing except providing wireless bridging. Internet packets don't even touch its router, and you could open ports on the box all day long with no effect whatsoever.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I still recommend the TiVo, and everything else on your home network that doesn't travel, be assigned a fixed IP address. Avoid DHCP whenever possible.
That's a bit strong, but static IPs in a home LAN environment are not a bad idea. Certainly anything that smells even vaguely like a server should have a static (or at least fixed) IP, and TiVos are close enough to qualify. None of myu workstations have static IPs, though. OTOH, my DHCP server is on one of my main Linux servers, so I have 100% control over the IP assignments, whether static, fixed, or dynamic.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's a bit strong, but static IPs in a home LAN environment are not a bad idea. Certainly anything that smells even vaguely like a server should have a static (or at least fixed) IP, and TiVos are close enough to qualify. None of myu workstations have static IPs, though. OTOH, my DHCP server is on one of my main Linux servers, so I have 100% control over the IP assignments, whether static, fixed, or dynamic.
If the router and the client device do not have to do any negotiating back and forth or agreeing about what the client's IP address is, that's one thing fewer to possibly go wrong, and one fewer variable to worry about when you're trying to figure out what has gone wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
lrhorer

True, but if the device doesn't have an IP, there will be no way to ping it (and there will be no reference to it in the log). That narrows it down pretty quickly. I'm not saying a fixed IP on a home LAN is bad advice, I'm just saying "never" is a pretty strong word.