TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Tivo mentioned on Security Now (TWIT.TV)

Fast Forward to the 1 hr 39 minute mark for a mention of Tivo and Steve Gibson's disk maintenance and recovery utility.

http://twit.tv/show/security-now/463

Has anyone used it on your Tivo?

What were your results?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo security now copy.jpg (72.3 KB, 141 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
HomeUser

It's been a while for a TiVo drive. I did recover 100% of the drive in my daughters Series2 by running SpinRite in recovery mode. The last TiVo drive I used it on was recovering a un-bootable Series3 drive. Only a few of the many failed sectors were unrecoverable fortunately they were located in the program partition probably part of a recording. I then upgraded from that drive to to a new 750G drive.

As a general rule I will test/"burn in" new drives before trusting them in any device making it worth the $90 new or the upgrade price (I have Upgraded every version since V2). I have had a few drives fail the initial burn in and was able to return them quickly saving the frustration of reloading the OS.

The downside is the way SpinRite works it bypass the drives buffering features making it slow. I have a dedicated PC just for drive test/recovery so letting the tests run for several days or even a week is not a problem. I have recovered data from more than 10 PC and 2 TiVo drives in the past 20 years with it.

Oh, I could go on and on about it.... To answerer your question: Yes I have used it on my TiVo (TiVo's drive in a PC not while in the TiVo).
Old 07-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Thom

According to Steve Gibson, running Spinrite inside a virtual machine/box will speed Spinrite up enormously. He attributes this to the virtual machine/box having much higher performing BIOS routines that read and write larger data blocks when accessing the hard drive. The current version (6.0) of Spinrite only uses BIOS routines to communicate with the hard drive. The upcoming version 6.1 will be much faster.
Thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Whenever he brings this up he seems to mention that the TiVo drives are byte-swapped, which I don't think is the case anymore. That was just the S1 boxes, right?

I've never had to use SpinRite on my TiVo drives, but I do own a copy and use it a lot on my PC drives at home and at work.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
unitron

S1s were byte-swapped, S2s and 3s were not, and I think that continues for the 4s and 5s.

When you get a new, or new to you, drive, or go to use one you've had for awhile, best thing is to run the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test before putting it into service.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
telemark

The 4's are like the 3's, using Motorola byte ordering.

The 5's switched processor modes to Intel byte ordering, with the result that it appears many fields from the disks are swapped compared to before. There's little to no swapping actually taking place within a box, because that's how they're stored in RAM too.

Last edited by telemark : 07-19-2014 at 07:46 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote