TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
RusRus

Return program back to my dvr

I have a program on my PC in Tivo Desktop. How do I send it back to my DVR?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
I have a program on my PC in Tivo Desktop. How do I send it back to my DVR?
Assuming your DVR is a TiVo and it uses the same Media Access Key as your installation of Desktop, go into your TiVo's Now Playing list, go to the bottom, and the PC should be listed there as a folder.

Inside that folder should be whatever .tivo files are inside your PC's My TiVo Recordings folder.

Pick the one you want, hit the Select button on the remote, and it should give you the choice to "transfer" it to the TiVo.

It's actually not a transfer, it's a copy. The .tivo file will remain in the MTR folder on the PC as well as show up in the TiVo's NPL.

Once that file is transferring, you can go back and choose another one if you want and set it to start transferring once the first one has finished.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Assuming your DVR is a TiVo and it uses the same Media Access Key as your installation of Desktop, go into your TiVo's Now Playing list, go to the bottom, and the PC should be listed there as a folder.

Inside that folder should be whatever .tivo files are inside your PC's My TiVo Recordings folder.

Pick the one you want, hit the Select button on the remote, and it should give you the choice to "transfer" it to the TiVo.

It's actually not a transfer, it's a copy. The .tivo file will remain in the MTR folder on the PC as well as show up in the TiVo's NPL.

Once that file is transferring, you can go back and choose another one if you want and set it to start transferring once the first one has finished.
I'd add some troubleshooting steps if the PC isn't showing up in the TiVos list.

First open up the TiVo Desktop app and see if you can see your TiVo from it.
If you can, then open the options (?) menu to see if the server is running. You can try restarting it if it is.

If you can't see your TiVo it could be a couple of things, like for example the TiVo Media Access Key could be wrong.
Also, if your PC has multiple network interfaces (ethernet & wifi, or some virtual machine interfaces, or a VPN interface) I've seen the desktop server 'randomly' decide to switch interfaces. Make sure it's on the same network as your TiVo.

Hope that helps
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I paid for desktop plus so long ago that I don't remember exactly what it added to the Tivo desktop functionality, but don't you need desktop plus to transfer recordings from a pc to the Tivo?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
RusRus

Quote:

OK, I understand and thanks. I was trying to use my pc to do the transfer. One more question: If I have a new Roamio and have it hooked up via ethernet cable will I be able to see the recordings on my pc with my Now Playing List location?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I paid for desktop plus so long ago that I don't remember exactly what it added to the Tivo desktop functionality, but don't you need desktop plus to transfer recordings from a pc to the Tivo?
No, the TiVo can pull the files back even with 'normal' TiVo desktop. I've done it plenty of times and I never sprang for the 'Plus' version.
Quote:
OK, I understand and thanks. I was trying to use my pc to do the transfer. One more question: If I have a new Roamio and have it hooked up via ethernet cable will I be able to see the recordings on my pc with my Now Playing List location?
You should. As long as the TiVo and the TiVo Desktop app have the same Media Access Key and are on the same network you should be able to see the PC from the TiVo and copy back any files from the PC.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
bobfrank

You might want to give pyTivo a try. You can push video from your computer or pull it from the Tivo. It's a little tricky to set up but easy to use. I use both Tivo Desktop and pyTivo.

Plenty of threads about pyTivo. Just search for them.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
No, the TiVo can pull the files back even with 'normal' TiVo desktop. I've done it plenty of times and I never sprang for the 'Plus' version.
You should. As long as the TiVo and the TiVo Desktop app have the same Media Access Key and are on the same network you should be able to see the PC from the TiVo and copy back any files from the PC.
So to fully understand this I would need to put the new Roamio media access key in my Desktop in order to movethe files I have on my pc to my new Roamio?

Oops. I just looked on my Desktop and it said if I change the access key I wouldn't be able to see or use the programs in my Desktop.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
So to fully understand this I would need to put the new Roamio media access key in my Desktop in order to movethe files I have on my pc to my new Roamio?

Oops. I just looked on my Desktop and it said if I change the access key I wouldn't be able to see or use the programs in my Desktop.
All the TiVos on your account will share the same media access key. (So if the Romio is set up it should already have the same key)

If for some weird reason it's on a different TiVo account, then that key would be different and you wouldn't be able to move files to it. (Either from TiVo Desktop nor from any TiVo on the original account)
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:

The Media Access Key, or MAK, is assigned to your account at tivo.com

If you own more than one TiVo, both should be on that same account.

When they contact the TiVo servers for guide data and such, each TiVo reports its own unique TiVo Service Number to the servers, they check that number in the database and tell the TiVo what its account status is and what MAK number it's supposed to be using.

When you install TiVo Desktop, you're supposed to manually enter the MAK, which you get from your account by logging on at tivo.com or by looking on one of your TiVos-it should be on the same submenu as system information.

If you have a MAK mis-match, you need to see if all your TiVos are on the same account.

And write down what MAK Desktop is currently using, in case you need to refer to that number later and Desktop no longer has it.

If you have recordings on the PC that were made on a TiVo that is/was on someone else's account to which you don't have access, then you're not going to be able to copy them back to a TiVo on your account that uses a different MAK number.

You can, if Desktop still has the same MAK number entered as when it copied those .tivo files in the first place, watch those shows on the PC with Windows Media Player or something similar, provided you have all the right codecs loaded.

If you had a TiVo you no longer have, and that 's where the .tivo files came from, you need to see if your new TiVo is on the same account at tivo.com as the old TiVo was in order for them to have the same MAK.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
RusRus

Now I understand. Before I sell my old Tivo I need both on my account so the MAK is the same. I can't sell my old Tivo until I buy and register the new Roamio so I can get the multi discount of $100.00.

Now all I have to do is save up the money and look for future sales on the new Roamio Basic.

Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Now I understand. Before I sell my old Tivo I need both on my account so the MAK is the same. I can't sell my old Tivo until I buy and register the new Roamio so I can get the multi discount of $100.00.

Now all I have to do is save up the money and look for future sales on the new Roamio Basic.

Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
If you're going to be buying a new TiVo that may very well give you the leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on your old one if it's not lifetimed already, which would add to its resale value.

What model is the old one?

(I mean actual model number--on the sticker on the back, starts with TCD)

Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
RusRus

Quote:
If you're going to be buying a new TiVo that may very well give you the leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on your old one if it's not lifetimed already, which would add to its resale value.

What model is the old one?

(I mean actual model number--on the sticker on the back, starts with TCD)
TCD 652160 on both of them. My active one already has lifetime and the other is for power supply failure backup; just in case.