TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #10081
backyard

HD Upgrade Issue

Just used WINmfs to upgrade a noisy old 1T Hitachi (that had replaced the original 160) to a WD20EURX in my S3 HD. Copied, expanded, and supersized (I guess it didn't need that) and it now shows 318 hours total.

The TiVo now has a pronounced delay or hesitation when answering commands from the controller (with new batteries) especially going from menu to menu. It feels similar to a pc that is short on memory or the processor is just bogged down. I hard re-booted once but it didn't help.

Has anyone seen this?

Any ideas?

backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #10082
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Just used WINmfs to upgrade a noisy old 1T Hitachi (that had replaced the original 160) to a WD20EURX in my S3 HD. Copied, expanded, and supersized (I guess it didn't need that) and it now shows 318 hours total.

The TiVo now has a pronounced delay or hesitation when answering commands from the controller (with new batteries) especially going from menu to menu. It feels similar to a pc that is short on memory or the processor is just bogged down. I hard re-booted once but it didn't help.

Has anyone seen this?

Any ideas?
Yes. Shortly after installing a 2TB internal drive. I can believe, too, that TiVo hardware is taxed to the max and that is the cause of the delay.

Replaced the capacitors in the power supply a few months back. Hoping that would improve/fix this problem(?), but it did not.

Is your TiVo connected to a tuning adapter?
If so; keep watch on the GC line is the system info screen. The *GC date should change almost daily.

*GC = garbage collection.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #10083
backyard

Thanks Teeps.
No tuning adapter. I'll watch the GC.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #10084
Riprock69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riprock69 View Post
Scott and ThAbtO... going to try to figure out how to copy the current drive to my comp today. Only a few things recorded that I wanna transfer over. Here I go...
Well, due to my shortsightedness I had to order some PATA/SATA converters from Amazon. Got 'em yesterday and was able to disable the idle on the WD10EZRX last night using wdidle3 on the UBCD Linux boot CD. Got the MSFTools Linux Boot CD burned and am now just waiting for a time when I can have the Tivo... probably this weekend. Sigh.

Riprock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #10085
HerronScott

Quote:

Has anyone seen this?

Any ideas?
Yes, I definitely saw it on the 1st HD that we upgraded as well. It was most pronounced when viewing the details of a show in a list of shows and using page up/down to scroll through them. Before the upgrade, the TiVo would be able to do it almost as fast as you could hit the button but afterward there was a very large delay before it would display all the information.

It was my son's TiVo that we bought when he went off to college so I didn't do anything with it as he and his room mate weren't heavy users. When I went to upgrade my 2 S3 OLED's to new 2TB drives, I decided to try and do everything possible to optimize the drive so I use the TivoTool shell scripts someone so kindly created and some expert help provided here to 4K align the drive (see thread below).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=align

I did not see the same issue on the 2 S3 OLED's so I went back and 4K aligned the upgraded drive in the HD while I had a spare 2TB drive and it fixed the major slowness that I was seeing.

I posted about it here in this thread too to see if anyone else had seen this but no one else really spoke up to say they were seeing the same thing.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10271961

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10273487

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10279271

I'd love to see if someone else could verify these results as well with a before and after.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #10086
Teeps

Quote:
Thanks Teeps.
No tuning adapter. I'll watch the GC.
GC should not be a problem if you are not using a tuning adapter.
But, it doesn't hurt to check the GC date from time to time.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #10087
backyard

Thanks for the information.

It's all very interesting but I'm afraid 4k alignment is somewhat beyond my expertise. If it was as easy as using the other tools I'd give it a try.

The delay actually seems to be slightly better after a couple days use but I'm probably just getting used to it.

Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #10088
HerronScott

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

It's all very interesting but I'm afraid 4k alignment is somewhat beyond my expertise. If it was as easy as using the other tools I'd give it a try.

The delay actually seems to be slightly better after a couple days use but I'm probably just getting used to it.

Thanks again.
Would you mind performing the following test with your upgraded 2TB drive?

- Search for Big Bang Theory
- View upcoming episodes
- View the description for the first episode shown
- Use Page/Chan down to quickly cycle through upcoming show descriptions

I can go through about 3 episodes per second (15 per 5 seconds) or maybe a touch faster and only occasionally get the error sound but on our HD before aligning the partitions there was no way we could do it any where near that fast. It was enough that my son even commented on it when I told him how to look for upcoming episodes that he had missed.

I'm really interested in hearing the results on another S3 OLED/HD upgraded to 2TB without 4K alignment. See how many episodes you can page through in 5 seconds.

Scott

Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #10089
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Would you mind performing the following test with your upgraded 2TB drive?

- Search for Big Bang Theory
- View upcoming episodes
- View the description for the first episode shown
- Use Page/Chan down to quickly cycle through upcoming show descriptions

I can go through about 3 episodes per second (15 per 5 seconds) or maybe a touch faster and only occasionally get the error sound but on our HD before aligning the partitions there was no way we could do it any where near that fast. It was enough that my son even commented on it when I told him how to look for upcoming episodes that he had missed.

I'm really interested in hearing the results on another S3 OLED/HD upgraded to 2TB without 4K alignment. See how many episodes you can page through in 5 seconds.

Scott
Are you talking about the deal where you get the page for a particular episode on the screen and then arrow down and select "View Upcoming Episodes" and arrow down the list and have to arrow right at each entry to be taken to a separate page and then have to arrow left out of it back to the list so you can arrow down to the next one?

By the time I waited for it to catch up to my thumb I managed about 2 in 5 seconds.

Of course that was without spending any time actually reading those individual pages.

WD20EURS in a 648, copied with WinMFS, swap partition size set at 2GB, and expanded later via

mfsadd

as separate process after checking drive via

mfsinfo

to make sure everything was okay.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #10090
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you talking about the deal where you get the page for a particular episode on the screen and then arrow down and select "View Upcoming Episodes" and arrow down the list and have to arrow right at each entry to be taken to a separate page and then have to arrow left out of it back to the list so you can arrow down to the next one?
Unitron,

Not quite, but you are close. While you are viewing the detailed description for the show (which is where you have stated to arrow right at each entry), use Page/Chan down to cycle to the detailed description of the next episode which you should be able to repeat rapidly to cycle through the list of upcoming shows. There's no need to arrow left back to the list and then arrow down to the next episode and arrow right (or select). I think the Roamio's and maybe Premiere's lost the ability to do this if I've read correctly (unfortunately).

I use this occasionally to search quickly through upcoming episodes searching for episodes based on the year or the episode numbers so I noticed the slow response on his HD immediately. In general it was just sluggish in the menus before I aligned it.

Scott

Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #10091
lpwcomp

Don't have an S3 OLED but when I tried it on my THD (upgraded to 1TB in 2011 and to 2TB last year), it was at least 14 in 5 seconds. Got it to 19 once. Definitely no noticeable lag.

Both times the upgrade was done with WinMFS with no special effort to align on 4k boundaries. WD Green drives. It's possible that I used an AV drive the second time, I don't remember.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #10092
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Don't have an S3 OLED but when I tried it on my THD (upgraded to 1TB in 2011 and to 2TB last year), it was at least 14 in 5 seconds. Got it to 19 once. Definitely no noticeable lag.

Both times the upgrade was done with WinMFS with no special effort to align on 4k boundaries. WD Green drives. It's possible that I used an AV drive the second time, I don't remember.
Thanks James! That would tend to point to it being something with the HD that I upgraded to 2TB (used JMFS as at the time it wasn't working with WinMFS). It is odd that going through the 4k alignment fixed the issue (back to the same drive using another drive as an intermediate host).

Scott

Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #10093
HerronScott

Quote:

James (and Unitron),

Sorry should have gotten you to confirm whether this was an Advanced Format drive or not since the 4K alignment would only apply to those drives.

Scott

Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #10094
Riprock69

Thanks again to you all for blazing the trail on this. Other than spending an hour and a half trying to get my desktop to recognize the CD with both drives in it (sigh), I was able to hook them up using converters (desktop is PATA/IDE), used the ultimate boot CD to run wdidle3 on the new drive, used the Linux boot CD in text mode, used the command generator from the MFS website (had to use "hda" and "hdc"), ran the command and it failed after 47 blocks (because I think I didn't have hdc's connector pushed in all the way), ran it again and 13 hours later it finished (last night while asleep). Got up this morning, said it was successful, put the new drive in, started it up, and it actually booted up faster than the old drive. Recorded progs still there and all.

Again, thank you all so much! Happy wife now!

Riprock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #10095
backyard

Maybe I'm doing this wrong but using the Page/Channel down I page through five shows at a time and the TiVo seems to buffer the presses such that I end up going through 62 shows total.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #10096
HerronScott

Are you viewing the details on the first show in the list and not at the list itself? It sounds like you are just paging down the list.

You need to actually be viewing the detailed description for the first episode in the list (highlight show and then select or right arrow).

Scott

Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #10097
lpwcomp

Quote:
Maybe I'm doing this wrong but using the Page/Channel down I page through five shows at a time and the TiVo seems to buffer the presses such that I end up going through 62 shows total.
You're missing a step. After bringing up the list, you need to select one to bring up the initial info screen for that episode. Then use the channel up/down button to go to the next/previous episode.

You're just paging through the list.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #10098
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You need to actually be viewing the detailed description for the first episode in the list (highlight show and then select or right arrow).

Scott
Not entirely accurate. The actual Details screen is one step too far.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #10099
HerronScott

Quote:
Not entirely accurate. The actual Details screen is one step too far.
I assume you mean the page you get when you hit Info? I don't think that I indicated anywhere to go that far (Highlight show and then select or right arrow). Is there another way to pull up that page for a show?

Hopefully to be more clear, I'm talking about pulling up the list of upcoming episodes as in the first picture below, select the first show in the list and viewing the description as in the second picture below and then hitting Page/Channel down multiple times quickly to cycle through each show.

This is where I had a large delay when we first upgraded an HD to an advanced format 2TB drive without 4k alignment and which was "fixed" with 4k alignment.

Scott

Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #10100
backyard

First I needed to 4k align my brain so I could follow the instructions (sure.. I'm going to be able to 4k align my drive!!! LOL).

There are a number of ways to view up-coming episodes and the screen shots above showed the path that you followed. Even though there is a clear display hesitation or delay in many menu navigating operations I could view at least 3-4 records per second.