TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
midson

OK - so I have a Roamio Plus and Mini, and both COAX and CAT5 at each location. I connect the CAT5 to the Plus for internet and the COAX to both the Plus and mini, and they will communicate thru Moca on the COAX, is that correct? Will I also need to connect the CAT5 to the Mini, or will it get everything it needs thru Moca? Any benefit to connecting the Mini to CAT5? Thanks.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
BigJimOutlaw

Correct. Connect coax and cat5 to the Plus, select "use this DVR to create a moca network" in the network settings. Connect coax to the Mini. That's all it needs.

The theoretical benefit of using cat5 with the Mini instead is that cat5 is faster than moca, but moca is more than fast enough to stream video too. Also, unless you have a POE filter installed, cat5 would be more secure. Since you have both options at the Mini's location, the choice is really all yours.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
gedeyenite
Murph

Good. I was hoping that was the case. I had been informed elsewhere that you had to have a 4x tuner, e.g., Roamio, Premiere, etc. glad to read a Premiere 2x can work.

Humax 80 hr Series 2.
w/ Linksys 200M
gedeyenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #34
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedeyenite View Post
Good. I was hoping that was the case. I had been informed elsewhere that you had to have a 4x tuner, e.g., Roamio, Premiere, etc. glad to read a Premiere 2x can work.
You do need a Tivo with 4 or more tuners for the Mini to work.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #35
Woodburner

Hello this is my first post so sorry if a similar question has been asked. My cable modem router is upstairs in one room and my Tivo Roamio plus is downstairs in another room and the Mini is upstairs in another room. So how many Moca adapters will I need?
Woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #36
TivoQueensDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburner View Post
Hello this is my first post so sorry if a similar question has been asked. My cable modem router is upstairs in one room and my Tivo Roamio plus is downstairs in another room and the Mini is upstairs in another room. So how many Moca adapters will I need?
You'll only need 1 adapter.

Cable modem - hook up to MOCA adapter
Tivo Roamio - built in MOCA adapter
Tivo Mini - built in MOCA adapter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshiba RS-TX20 (Retired after Tivo abandoned software updates)

Tivo Roamio Pro (lifetime)
Tivo Mini (lifetime)
TivoQueensDad is offline   Reply With Quote