TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
moyekj

You may need VideoRedo QS Fix in flow to fix sync problems. Via kmttg I have ccextractor configured and tick off "decrypt", "QS Fix" (using VideoRedo) and "captions" task to download from TiVo to make an .mpg file and .srt file. I can then use streambaby to stream back to TiVo with captions or use "encode" task with ffmpeg to hard burn captions right into the video stream and either way it's always in sync for me.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
moyekj

You can download a short clip of streambaby in action showing captions here:
http://tivostream.googlecode.com/fil...th_captions.ts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
alexofindy

Thanks again, moyekj.

I did try to run streambaby, but it complained that the command "java" in the streambaby bat file was not understood; obviously, I do have java installed, but I'll have to figure out why the command is not recognized by Windows, presumably an environment or PATH variable or some such.

I am guessing that streambaby will have offset (out of sync) captions; there's probably an offset in the .srt file produced by ccextractor. directvobsub allows me to compensate, but in the documentation I find on streambaby, I don 't see such an option. As I said, I plan to try the version of streambaby you suggest, as soon as I figure the java glitch out.

I don't own videoredo; I will gladly buy if it will solve my problem. I doubt it will fix the sync issue, it seems to be able to fix different sorts of corruption in the .srt files. Probably I'll try the ProjectX option in kmttg first, and then I think there are trial versions of videoredo.

This is all apparently occurring because my source files are the PS .Tivo files archived to my readynas fileserver. The transport stream files you download using kmttg are probably cleaner, for whatever reason. I may switch to using kmttg in the future, but for now the readynas user interface is easier (since it doesn't require the computer to archive a show, all I do is set keep-until-I-delete on the Tivo) and in any case I have a lot of shows already on the Tivo I hope to view with captions.

Thanks once more!
alexofindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
moyekj

For streambaby just edit the .bat file to put the full path to javaw.exe in it in place of "java".
VideoRedo QS Fix is designed to fix timestamp issues which cause out of sync problems. Yes try the free trial version. ProjectX won't work because while it fixes timestamp issues it throws out captions.
Switching to TS downloads is not a good option without VideoRedo since tivodecode can't decrypt them properly. PS downloads are fine and the problem most likely is timestamp issues in orgiinal TiVo recording.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
BlondAngel

caption issue

Hi All,
I am using kmttg to get the files from my premiere.

I did not install tivo desktop software.

VideoReDo could not open *.tivo files but it can open the decrypted/decoded *.mpg generated from kmttg.

When I open the mpg file with VideoReDo, it shows that the captions are preserved. However, when I put the mpg file to be served by pyTivo, the captions are not available on the premiere. Here are the contents of the pytivo.conf file:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\apps\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe
ts = on

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = C:\Users\Media\Videos

When I check the media infomation, it says that the
mux type is ps - mpeg2 and the
captioning is eia 608 with
audio codec ac3.

So, why are captions not present? What is missing in my process? I had thought that ts=on is all I needed to ensure that captions are present.

I am using the wmcbrine fork of pyTivo (I downloaded it yesterday), and ffmpeg is version May 13 2013, and python is 2.7.

Last edited by BlondAngel : 09-06-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added version of pyTivo.
BlondAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
moyekj

When you set ts=on in pyTivo.conf did you re-start pyTivo? Unless pyTivo is re-muxing to TS when transferring back to Premiere captions won't work.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
moyekj

One other important factor I sometimes forget about:
On TiVo under Settings-Displays-Closed Captioning you need following settings:
Standard Captions: CC1
Digital Captions: None

I tried a sample transfer today of a show with captions back to my Roamio with pyTivo and ts=on and captions were not displaying.
Checking the above options I had the following (default) settings:
Standard Captions: Off
Digital Captions: DTVCC1

Once I corrected the settings then captions showed up as expected on my transferred video.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
BlondAngel

I double-checked my default settings for closed captioning and it is set to:

For an *.mpg file, I got an error message from pyTivo (actually from ffmpeg)
Please use -b:a or -b:v, -b is ambiguous

For a *.ts file, I don't have this error message.

Regardless of these issues, once I restarted pyTivo (which I have repeatedly whenever I make a change to pytivo.conf) and re-set the default closed captioning, the captioning from the transfered files WORK!

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondAngel View Post
I double-checked my default settings for closed captioning and it is set to:
Using Digital Captions has caused problems for many caption users. Scrambled words and generally garbage displays. Setting this to NONE resolves it.

YMMV.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
BlondAngel

recap

When I was using google and searching for this issue, one thing that stands out: many people have this issue but have difficulty finding a solution (or once people find a solution, forget to post their experience).
So, here is my solution/recap for newbies:

0) I assume that the machine has java installed
1) get python 2.x (I use 2.7) installed
2) get pytivo (wmcbrine fork) and
3) get kmttg

You start pytivo by running (double-clicking) the pytivo.py file
You start kmttg by running (double-clicking) the kmttg.jar file
Look at the readme files for each if you have issues.
  • With kmttg, transfer your shows from your tivo. There is an option in kmttg to transfer in TS format. Do not use this! Keep it at default (TS turned off) to transfer in PS format. Set the checkbox to decrypt the transferred show (it will be saved as an mpg file).
  • add this setting to the [server] section of pytivo.conf file:
    ts=on
  • On TiVo under Settings-Displays-Closed Captioning you need following
    settings:
    Digital Captions: None
Notes: use mediainfo or videoredo if you want to double-check that the file has closed captioning; look for eia 608. In particular, videoredo has an option to turn on captioning while previewing the video.

My current settings on my Tivo is
But this may not work for you. YMMV.

In short, transfer tivo shows to PC/Mac in PS format, save it as mpg (optional) -- ensure that the captioning stream is not stripped out, send it back to tivo in TS format.