TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
dwight01

Tivo Stream + Slingbox + connected devices

Using Tivo Stream (which in my opinion is the greatest invention since sliced bread), I've loaded up about 100 hours of programming onto an external hard drive and gone away for 6 weeks with my laptop. Since the laptop has Tivo desktop on it, I can of course play the recorded Tivo shows on my hard drive, through the laptop. Trouble is, I can't use the laptop for anything else while I'm watching.
Today I got a promo email from Slingbox, which I also own (the Slingbox 500, the second-greatest invention since sliced bread), where they discuss Slingbox for connected devices, specifially the Netgear TV, the WD TV, and the Sony Internet player. These devices allow you to watch your Slingbox on a TV, instead of your laptop. I was thinking, how neat would it be if I could buy one of those devices and use it both for accessing my home Slingbox, AND for viewing my Tivo recording on the external hard drive. I can't seem to find any place that addresses the issue of whether any of those external devices would recognize the Tivo recordings on my hard drive, since they are proprietary Tivo format, I guess. In particular, I thought maybe WD, since they make the Tivo extra storage devices, might be compatible? Anybody have any knowledge on this subject? Thanks!
dwight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
mreaves53

WD TV Live

I have a TiVo, WD TV Livek Slingbox and various other devices. If you use a program like KMTTG to move and decrytp the program, I know the WD TV Live will play the video without any problem. Honestly, I have never tried having the WD TV Live play a .tivo file, but I will try that tonight.

The WD TV Live plays the most different video file types of any media streaming device and has a builtin app for sling box as well. The only draw back I have found with the WD box is it's lack of an Amazon Prime app and no way to surf the web. Everything else is there.

Hope this helps,
WD Live TV Media Player
Phillips HDD DVD recorder
LG NAS
Slingbox Pro HD
Toshiba Thrive
mreaves53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight01 View Post
Using Tivo Stream (which in my opinion is the greatest invention since sliced bread), I've loaded up about 100 hours of programming onto an external hard drive and gone away for 6 weeks with my laptop. Since the laptop has Tivo desktop on it, I can of course play the recorded Tivo shows on my hard drive, through the laptop.
what are you talking about? Tivo Stream is a hardware product that streams or downloads programs to an iPod/iPad/iPhone.. It has nothing to do with downloading shows to a computer.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
what are you talking about? Tivo Stream is a hardware product that streams or downloads programs to an iPod/iPad/iPhone.. It has nothing to do with downloading shows to a computer.
I think it's pretty obvious what he's talking about. He's moving TV shows to a computer using TV Desktop.

The answer is that the Slingbox can directly play stuff from the TiVo but unfortunately not the external hard drive to which he archives his TV shows.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Bigg

What I've found is that due to the file sizes or quality, depending on if you're talking about SD or HD, and due to the commercials which are really hard to FF through on a laptop or iPad, this type of thing really isn't useful. I just torrent shows if I want them on a laptop, although that obviously won't work for every show out there.

The OP also did say TiVo Stream and PC... which makes no sense...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
I think it's pretty obvious what he's talking about. He's moving TV shows to a computer using TV Desktop.

The answer is that the Slingbox can directly play stuff from the TiVo but unfortunately not the external hard drive to which he archives his TV shows.
It's not obvious since he's mentioning the Tivo Stream which is completely unrelated.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
jacbec

Is there a TiVo device to access my TiVo Premier Elite recordings and live TV remotely, i.e. away from my local network? I do have TiVo Stream. Guess I may be thinking of something like Slingbox, but I would rather have a TiVo product.
jacbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
mattack

No, not live on the go. But if you are willing to download to your iOS device *beforehand*, the Tivo Stream will do it.

If you really want to do it 'live', it would be a slingbox, but of course that would also affect anybody trying to WATCH the Tivo live. This is *tangential* to your main question, but if you're streaming (WITHIN THE HOUSEHOLD), someone else can continue to watch something ELSE on the Tivo.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
jacbec

TiVo stream + slingbox

Still wondering if TiVo will have on the go streaming. Don't want the hassle of d/l beforehand, want a Slingbox capability - but made by TiVo.
jacbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight01 View Post
Using Tivo Stream (which in my opinion is the greatest invention since sliced bread), I've loaded up about 100 hours of programming onto an external hard drive and gone away for 6 weeks with my laptop. Since the laptop has Tivo desktop on it, I can of course play the recorded Tivo shows on my hard drive, through the laptop. Trouble is, I can't use the laptop for anything else while I'm watching.
Today I got a promo email from Slingbox, which I also own (the Slingbox 500, the second-greatest invention since sliced bread), where they discuss Slingbox for connected devices, specifially the Netgear TV, the WD TV, and the Sony Internet player. These devices allow you to watch your Slingbox on a TV, instead of your laptop. I was thinking, how neat would it be if I could buy one of those devices and use it both for accessing my home Slingbox, AND for viewing my Tivo recording on the external hard drive. I can't seem to find any place that addresses the issue of whether any of those external devices would recognize the Tivo recordings on my hard drive, since they are proprietary Tivo format, I guess. In particular, I thought maybe WD, since they make the Tivo extra storage devices, might be compatible? Anybody have any knowledge on this subject? Thanks!
There are actually a couple of different ways that you could go about this.

One way....

1 - convert the files from your tivo over to mpeg files..... You can accomplish this by using kmttg or VideoRedo TV suite...... KMTTG is free..... VideoRedo TV suite is not free, but it is easier to use, IMO.

2 - take the newly converted mpeg files and load them onto your external drive.

3 - connect your external drive to the media player of your choice(Western Digital player, or Popcorn Hour, or whatever). VERY IMPORTANT NOTE...... make sure that the video player that you choose is capable of connecting a slave drive. A while back when I was researching these it seemed like Western Digital had the best products for the money. Roku seemed like the worst choice, as I recall.

4 - connect your video player to whatever remote TV that you want to watch

--------
--------

As far as accessing your slingbox remotely without having to use your computer......

1 - get a good smartphone
2 - download the sling app
3 - watch whatever you wish without using your computer
4 - if you prefer, you can output the smart phone to an HDTV. Some smartphones are capable of doing this
5 - VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: You will want to make sure that the smartphone is connected to a local wifi. If not, then you may run the risk of getting a huge cell phone bill because of excessive data usage.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
mattack

BTW, the Sling Player app is $14.99 EACH for iPad & iPhone. (Didn't it used to be $30? At least this is a step in the right direction.)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
gweempose

Quote:

If you really want to do it 'live', it would be a slingbox, but of course that would also affect anybody trying to WATCH the Tivo live ...
This is why a perfect combination of equipment would be an Elite (XL4), a Mini, and a Slingbox. You dedicate one of the tuners to the Mini, and then hook the Mini up to the Slingbox. This allows the person doing the remote viewing to access anything on the TiVo including live TV without affecting the people who are watching locally.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
ShayL

Quote:
BTW, the Sling Player app is $14.99 EACH for iPad & iPhone. (Didn't it used to be $30? At least this is a step in the right direction.)
They were around that price if they were not 30. I think sling dropped the price when they released the new hardware.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
Robert Bell

Could you send me a schematic or wiring diagram for your connections? I have a slingbox Pro, Mac Mini and Tivo Premiere XL4 and want to access tivo recordings and live TV while traveling.

Thanks
Robert Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Hrbek14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
This is why a perfect combination of equipment would be an Elite (XL4), a Mini, and a Slingbox. You dedicate one of the tuners to the Mini, and then hook the Mini up to the Slingbox. This allows the person doing the remote viewing to access anything on the TiVo including live TV without affecting the people who are watching locally.
This is exactly what I have set up. I wish the Mini's ethernet port could be used to hook the Slingbox up to the network instead of needing a separate MoCA adapter for it, but buying the 350 (the one without wireless) and the adapter was still much cheaper than buying the 500.
Hrbek14 is offline   Reply With Quote