TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Any chance of getting a $6.95/month rate for a Premiere

I currently have a Premiere with a MSD rate of $12.95/month. I'm committed till about April, 2013. Lately, Comcast has been making it harder and harder to own a Tivo on their network as their cable card prices have gone up to a point where it would be about $20/month PER Tivo.

I also know about the future 'minis' and am waiting to see what they have to offer when they are released as this could help keep my Comcast bill at bay (potentially one cable card for whole house), but is there any chance of getting a $6.95/month rate once my initial commitment is up? This would go a long way in me maybe keeping this Premiere if needed and/or the minis aren't a viable option.

Not sure if this matters, but I already have an S2, S3 (OLED), and Premiere on my account that ALL have lifetime subscriptions on them.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Teeps

To answer the title question: probably not. But call TiVo support and ask them the question, all they can say is no.

Far as comcast screwing cable card users, is FIOS an option in your area?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

About all I can recommend is to wait until the subscription is about to run out and then call Tivo and threaten to cancel. They may offer either a reduced monthly rate or a reduced lifetime rate.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Far as comcast screwing cable card users, is FIOS an option in your area?
Trust me, I HIGHLY wish FIOS was an option. Instead, AT&T UVerse is the phone company equivalent alternative for my area (Atlanta) & unfortunately, we all know TiVos don't work with this system.

I have a family member who lives in the Charleston, SC area and they have the RARE opportunity of being able to choose between Knology and Comcast for their internet/TV/phone service. I also have a family member in the northern Florida area who can choose between Brighthouse or Earthlink for JUST their high speed internet service.

I have always wished the FCC would step in somehow and make cable companies "share" their infrastructure so it would then allow others to come into the area and offer similar services. Therefore, creating more competition and hopefully making prices stay lower. That of course is a PIPE DREAM

That being said, I wonder how this option is available in some areas (like Charleston, SC & N. FL), but not others. I know these two areas are the extreme exception to the rule and probably make up less than 5% of the way it is all over the country, but it sure would be nice to have these options.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Trust me, I HIGHLY wish FIOS was an option. Instead, AT&T UVerse is the phone company equivalent alternative for my area (Atlanta) & unfortunately, we all know TiVos don't work with this system.

FIOS is not an option in my neighborhood either.
I asked Verizon why FIOS was not available on my street. Verizon said because Att held the area. And, that there were no plans to install the necessary infrastructure to compete with Att.

Painfully I know about incompatibility of TiVo with uverse.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Options

Its up to your city council as to who can come into your town, they are the ones who make the deals to keep other options out. So if Comcast says we will pay you $x to be the only option the council takes that money and no one else can come in. Our democracy at work.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
So if Comcast says we will pay you $x to be the only option the council takes that money and no one else can come in.
Makes sense and why am I not surprised at that nonsense Also why I wish the FCC would maybe step in here too. Again, a PIPE DREAM.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 10-20-2012 at 12:50 PM.