TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
UpAndDown

Multi Room Question

I have 2 Premieres, an XL that is not currently being used and has no current subscription attached to it, and a Premiere 4 that has an active subscription and is in use as the only DVR in the house. My question is this. Can I use the XL as a second unit in a multi room setup, if I connect it to my network, without a subscription? I realize that if this works it will never be a tuner but just a "slave" unit that allows playback only in another room. Thanks for any info.
UpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Gary-B

Won't work. Have to have active subscription on all units for MRS to work.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDown View Post
I realize that if this works it will never be a tuner but just a "slave" unit that allows playback only in another room. Thanks for any info.
Without a subscription it's the other way around: It's a tuner that can never be a "slave" unit for playback.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDown View Post
I have 2 Premieres, an XL that is not currently being used and has no current subscription attached to it, and a Premiere 4 that has an active subscription and is in use as the only DVR in the house. My question is this. Can I use the XL as a second unit in a multi room setup, if I connect it to my network, without a subscription? I realize that if this works it will never be a tuner but just a "slave" unit that allows playback only in another room. Thanks for any info.
I think TiVo should have a limited Lifetime Sub that would let a TP just act as a MRV unit, charge about what TiVo is going to charge for the Mini, this would add extra revenue without any cost as this TiVo would never download any guide data.

Last edited by lessd : 01-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I think TiVo should have a limited Lifetime Sub that would let a TP just act as a MRV unit, charge about what TiVo is going to charge for the Mini, this would add extra revenue with any cost as this TiVo would never download any guide data.
That's a new product that's stuck in development called the TiVo Mini, that was supposed to be on sale a few months ago.

Hold your breath, they'll get it out real soon. ::BIGGEST EYE ROLL EVER::
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
That's a new product that's stuck in development called the TiVo Mini, that was supposed to be on sale a few months ago.

Hold your breath, they'll get it out real soon. ::BIGGEST EYE ROLL EVER::
But with my way TiVo would have something like the Mini now without any hardware development and only a little software work for a Lifetime Light option.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
jcthorne

Tivo has a 'lifetime lite' program already. Its called multi service discount. They give you a $100 discount on the lifetime sub for the second unit. This was the whole reason for the discount program was to encourage the use of second (and more) tivos in the home.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Tivo has a 'lifetime lite' program already. Its called multi service discount. They give you a $100 discount on the lifetime sub for the second unit. This was the whole reason for the discount program was to encourage the use of second (and more) tivos in the home.
Yes I know but what I was referring to was a much less expensive Lifetime light so one could use an unsub TiVo for just MRV, no guide data, no recording, no need of a cable card or cable connection to this TiVo, just some extra revenue for TiVo without eating into the main use of their TiVo product. It would be almost a Mini now, but with even less capabilities of the Mini.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes I know but what I was referring to was a much less expensive Lifetime light so one could use an unsub TiVo for just MRV, no guide data, no recording, no need of a cable card or cable connection to this TiVo, just some extra revenue for TiVo without eating into the main use of their TiVo product. It would be almost a Mini now, but with even less capabilities of the Mini.
That only works if they are selling the Premieres with your lifetime light at a price high enough to make money. I really don't think guide data cost them that much so I don't think the discount would be enough to matter. What I hope is that they give subbed 2 tuner Premieres the same abilities as a mini (the ability to us a tuner from a 4 Tuner DVR). That would give people the ability to use the 2 tuner Premieres without cable cards and if they happen to get good OTA reception the ability to add 2 more tuners again without a cable card while still being able to watch "live" cable channels if they want plus it gives people who want more than 4 tuners more options.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote