TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
timbot

Tivo and Comcast.. Yeah again..sorry

So I did a little digging and didn't find much so I'm sure everyone here is tired of Comcast and Tivo questions. But I could really use some help cus I'm kinda confused. Maybe someone can explain something for me.

SO my setup is, Comcast Internet Only.. No TV Package. Yeah yeah I know.. give me a second. And a Tivo Premiere.

So anyways, if i plug my cable line into my TV, just my tv. I get all kinds of local channels and HD channels. But then if I plug the same cable line into my Tivo.. Nada, I get nothing. So I was reading about this mapping junk. How can this be? I don't understand how my TV can find channels just fine. But the Tivo plays dumb? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Any advice would be great. The other option I have is to get an Antenna, but I only get Washington DC channels, and I'd rather get Baltimore Channels, which is what Comcast gives me on my TV.. Ugh

Thanks in advance.

Tim
timbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbot View Post
So I did a little digging and didn't find much so I'm sure everyone here is tired of Comcast and Tivo questions. But I could really use some help cus I'm kinda confused. Maybe someone can explain something for me.

SO my setup is, Comcast Internet Only.. No TV Package. Yeah yeah I know.. give me a second. And a Tivo Premiere.

So anyways, if i plug my cable line into my TV, just my tv. I get all kinds of local channels and HD channels. But then if I plug the same cable line into my Tivo.. Nada, I get nothing. So I was reading about this mapping junk. How can this be? I don't understand how my TV can find channels just fine. But the Tivo plays dumb? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Any advice would be great. The other option I have is to get an Antenna, but I only get Washington DC channels, and I'd rather get Baltimore Channels, which is what Comcast gives me on my TV.. Ugh

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Have you done a channel scan? It will find clear QAM (digital) channels (looking at a Baltimore zip code(21201) on zap2it, it looks like they are all digital). Unfortunately, you can't get TiVo guide data for those. If your package actually includes limited basic, you should be entitled to a free CableCARD. If it doesn't, you'll just have to live with it. You could do guided setup for your local OTA channels. That would at least let you know what is available on the clear QAM locals. You can create manual recordings but of course their will not be any idenitifying data for them except time and channel.

You should be aware that Comcast received a waiver that allows them to begin encrypting all channels, even locals. If and when they implement that in uyour area, there will be no more clear QAM channels and even your TV will no longer be able to see anything on the cable.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Your premiere will not be able to use its features with comcast digital service without a cablecard. I am guessing that you really know the answer to that already. Is comcast aware you are looking to use their service for cable? I imagine they would be happy to get a new cable customer.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
timbot

Thanks. I kinda figured that already..

I actually just dropped cable tv.. just for cable internet.. but i figured if i could get some channels straight off there line for free.. then i'd just use that.. but i guess not.. oh well

Thanks for the help
timbot is offline   Reply With Quote