TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
jdag

Extending Wireless Network: Time Capsule (AC version) to Extreme/Express

I currently have a new Time Capsule (the AC tower version) and have it set to extend wireless networking to a couple of AirPort Express routers (1 of the older wall-plug style, and 1 of the current AppleTV sized style).

Both Express units report "Excellent" connectivity and are running on 802.11a/n at between 216 and 275Mb/s.

Would I benefit from upgrading 1 or both of those Express units to the new Extreme AC model? Would the Time Capsule to Extreme AC offer higher throughput?

The reason for this question is that I just purchased a TiVo setup and am experiencing some intermittent connectivity issues. Currently I have 2 TiVos connected to 1 of the Express routers via a switch. So the TiVos are not running wirelessly per se.

I know I can add a MoCA network to run the TiVos, but would rather accomplish via the AirPorts as I have other uses for the AirPorts anyhow.

Thank you in advance.
jdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
questors

I was using an Airport Express to extend my Airport Extreme to the TiVo and was getting marginal connectivity. I moved the Airport Express near the TiVo and connected its Ethernet port to the Tivo. Works great.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
jdag

Quote:
Originally Posted by questors View Post
I was using an Airport Express to extend my Airport Extreme to the TiVo and was getting marginal connectivity. I moved the Airport Express near the TiVo and connected its Ethernet port to the Tivo. Works great.
I will try the direct connection as you've mentioned (as opposed to through a switch).
jdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
flashedbios

I Thought all time capsules were DC and ran off a AC to DC converter. are there ones now that are straight AC and have their converter internally?
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
NJ Webel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedbios View Post
I Thought all time capsules were DC and ran off a AC to DC converter. are there ones now that are straight AC and have their converter internally?
I think he's talking about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote