TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
RickStrobel

Speed of computer for upgrading drives?

Replacing a failing hard drive in my TiVo Premiere. It's so far gone that I have to borrow a drive. That means lugging a PC to my Mom's and tearing her Premiere apart and copying her drive to a new one.

I have several PCs available for the job. And I don't want to spend 30 hours over there.

So, if I take a fast PC (i.e. Core i7, etc.) vs a slow PC (Pentium 4 3.4GHz) will the transfer speed be affected?

Also, how long would the copy process take approximately?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Replacing a failing hard drive in my TiVo Premiere. It's so far gone that I have to borrow a drive. That means lugging a PC to my Mom's and tearing her Premiere apart and copying her drive to a new one.

I have several PCs available for the job. And I don't want to spend 30 hours over there.

So, if I take a fast PC (i.e. Core i7, etc.) vs a slow PC (Pentium 4 3.4GHz) will the transfer speed be affected?

It depends on the sizes of the hard drives. The bigger the drives, the longer it takes. Somewhere in this forum I think I've seen a thread talking about typical transfer speeds but it can take a lot of hours for 1TB or larger drives. As for PC selection, you should be able to do the copying without tearing open the PC. I always use cheap USB to IDE/SATA adapter cables and can run the imaging software from my laptop, if need be.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

I have upgraded with content and it took nearly 24 hours using an i3. Without any content it only took a few hours, started at night and done by morning.

FYI- I used an USB-SATA connection for one of the drives, which had a material impact on the speed.

Last edited by jrtroo : 10-17-2012 at 09:50 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
retiredqwest

Quote:

Time:

The TP 320G directly connected to SATA ports on MB around 3 hours.
The TPXL 1T directly connected to SATA ports on MB around 7 hours.

Using USB-SATA cabling double the above times.

JMFS does a byte-for-byte copy, there is no option to copy just content.

The above was using an old P4 several years ago. I would like to think a newer computer would be faster.

BUT, if there are read errors on the existing TIVO drive it will take forever to copy. JMFS tries 3 times to read a 512 byte sector before it gives up and goes on.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:

Do any of the PCs available have a GigaByte brand motherboard?

If so, don't use it.

It could even hose your mom's Premiere's drive, depending on how the drives are hooked up.

If she has the stock 320GB drive, then if you happen to use jmfs and both drives are connected to SATA ports on the PC motherboard, this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...61#post8151461

indicates that you're looking at around 3 hours for the "Xerox" part of the process.

Of course

dd_rescue

on the MFS Live cd will probably take about the same amount of time as

ddrescue

which I think is what jmfs uses.

You can copy mom's drive to another one with either of those programs, or even with the original

dd

and then later, back home, copy the copy to another drive.

The original copy will think that it's a 320GB drive because the bootpage and partion map will have been copied as well as all of the original partitions at their original sizes.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do any of the PCs available have a GigaByte brand motherboard?

If so, don't use it.

It could even hose your mom's Premiere's drive, depending on how the drives are hooked up.
Well then I'm not too concerned about my original question then. My powerhouse PC with the i7 has a Gigabyte motherboard

I'll just use an older Dell desktop and let it run.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Well then I'm not too concerned about my original question then. My powerhouse PC with the i7 has a Gigabyte motherboard

I'll just use an older Dell desktop and let it run.
I don't know if every GigaByte brand motherboard ever made does it, but apparently the majority of the ones over the past decade have a tendency to put Host Protected Areas on at least what the computer thinks is or is going to be the boot hard drive--something about a place to back up the BIOS or the CMOS or the boot files or something, but it just goes and does it without warning and there's no way to disable its ability to do so.

And in order to undo it you have to move the drive to a different brand motherboard.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Just as a point of reference, I clone my desktop hard drive now and then as a backup using Clonezilla (Linux SW) and an external USB drive. For 500GB it takes about 4 hours on a 2.4Ghz Core2 Duo.