TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #31
Azlen

How is American Horror Story a mini-series but True Detective a drama?
How is Orange is the New Black considered a comedy? The categories for some of the nominations are ridiculous.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did I miss it, but no one mention no nomination for Charles Dance (Game of Thrones)? He owned every scene that he was in. With all due respect to Peter Dinklege, I would give the nod to Charles Dance any day.
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #33
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Right, foreign shows are eligible for Emmys, but science fiction isn't.

Apparently.
Sad but true. And since it's also on BBC America, I doubt many of the voters have even heard of the show, much less watched it. Now if Julia Roberts was in it, it would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Somebody else pointed out that this is the first time in 33 years that NBC has no shows nominated in the Comedy Series category.
And well deserved I might add.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #34
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
If Peter Dinklage is Best Supporting Actor, who is he supporting? Methinks they picked a category he could win.

Ditto for Allison Tollman. She's not supporting. She's a co-star to Martin Freeman and BB Thornton.

Margo Martindale deserves best supporting.

As does Edie Falco deserve Best Actress for Nurse Jackie.

They also have too many where two stars in teh same show compete against each other. That nullifies both of them

How about Martin Freeman being up for two different shows?
I think a show can have all supporting actors. I don't their necessarily has to be a "lead" in a show.

What were the Friends actors? All leads, all supporting?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Ok I missed the other actors, but I was talking about Best Mniiseries or Movie.
I'd love to see Parsons win for Normal Heart.
Parsons was great in The Normal Heart
BUT
Matt Bomer gave a career changing performance in my opinion.

I gotta give it to Matt.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #36
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Yes I can agree with that.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #37
tvmaster2

Tatiana Maslany: how do you win the Critics Choice award TWO YEARS IN A ROW, and both years, NOT even be nominated for an Emmy?

I guess we have to remember that Milli Vanilli won TWO Grammy Awards, while Queen never won a single one...

Awards shows are a joke

Tatiana rules them all.....
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #38
GoPackGo

How many people are going to tune into Orphan Black on Netflix because of all the outrage on the web saying how great she is? It's part of the reason I started watching.

Do we know if BBC America even actively campaigns for nominations? Maybe this is their sneaky way of getting free publicity.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #39
cheesesteak
Meh.

Who does the nominating for the Emmys? Isn't it their job to know about Orphan Black and other "fringe" shows?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #40
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Do we know if BBC America even actively campaigns for nominations? Maybe this is their sneaky way of getting free publicity.
I believe they did last year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Who does the nominating for the Emmys? Isn't it their job to know about Orphan Black and other "fringe" shows?
Apparently, if you know about science fiction your membership gets revoked.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #41
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
How is American Horror Story a mini-series but True Detective a drama?
How is Orange is the New Black considered a comedy? The categories for some of the nominations are ridiculous.
Actors and shows can submit themselves however they want. If you don't like where some of them land, it's their fault.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #42
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Not true. Downton Abbey got a whole lot of nominations and that's an English production. Critics wouldn't be talking about Tatiana being snubbed if she wasn't eligible.
Downton is co-produced by PBS, which is why it is eligible.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #43
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
Did I miss it, but no one mention no nomination for Charles Dance (Game of Thrones)? He owned every scene that he was in. With all due respect to Peter Dinklege, I would give the nod to Charles Dance any day.
True, also Dinklage has the chancee to win next year. Dance, not so much

However. . .
I think that actors (or producers) can submit only 1 episode for Emmy consideration, I suspect that "Team Dinklage" submitted episode 6 (The trial). Dance didn't really have an episode with as much "meat" in it as that one.

Last edited by tiassa : 07-11-2014 at 11:04 AM.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #44
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Downton is co-produced by PBS, which is why it is eligible.
Eligibility isn't determined by production at all. To be eligible for a Primetime Emmy it has to air on American television between the hours of 6pm and 2am and be available it at least 50% of the country. Tatiana Maslany and Orphan Black were eligible to be nominated.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #45
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Actors and shows can submit themselves however they want. If you don't like where some of them land, it's their fault.
Not completely true. For example there is a clear distinction between guest performances and supporting performances. That is based entirely on the type of contract the actor has with the show and is why some of the Orange is the New Black acting nominees were in the guest categories even though they were for characters that were in most of the episodes.
And a miniseries has to be four hours or more or air in more than two parts. It isn't completely up to the submitters as to what category they are in.
But in the comedy vs drama category, it is up to the submitter. Which for some shows like OITNB, doesn't make much sense but Netflix did it so they would have their two shows competing in different categories.

Last edited by Azlen : 07-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Morning After has a short, interesting article on why Orphan Black is so great despite itself, and why Tatiana will never get nominated for an Emmy.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #47
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo
Do we know if BBC America even actively campaigns for nominations?
They do -- they placed plenty of "For Your Consideration" ads for "Orphan Black" and Tatiana Maslany both last season and this season.

Quote:
Eligibility isn't determined by production at all. To be eligible for a Primetime Emmy it has to air on American television between the hours of 6pm and 2am and be available it at least 50% of the country. Tatiana Maslany and Orphan Black were eligible to be nominated.
I actually looked this up yesterday in response to a commenter to a Facebook post by Gunnyman. There are some exceptions to that 6PM-2AM/50% rule, and foreign shows can be one of them:

Quote:
Foreign television production is ineligible unless it is the result of a co-production (both financially and creatively) between U.S. and foreign partners, which precedes the start of production, and has a commitment to be shown on U.S. television prior to the start of production.
That's from the official Emmy rules (PDF link).
Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #48
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I actually looked this up yesterday in response to a commenter to a Facebook post by Gunnyman. There are some exceptions to that 6PM-2AM/50% rule, and foreign shows can be one of them:

That's from the official Emmy rules (PDF link).

Yep. Missed that. Of course it wouldn't make Orphan Black ineligible because it is a joint production between Space in Canada and BBC America in the US.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #49
wprager

John Noble was nominated twice for Fringe -- a Sci Fi show (granted, it was on NBC).

Maslany was outstanding -- the subtleties it takes to have "Sarah" acting as "Alison" (or vice versa) is fantastic.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #50
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
John Noble was nominated twice for Fringe -- a Sci Fi show (granted, it was on NBC).
Fox, I'm pretty sure. But I think they were grandfathered in for X-Files.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #51
GoPackGo

I think the Emmy voters know the real truth: That Tatiana is only playing Sarah, and there are a bunch of clones playing the other characters, thus no nomination for her.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #52
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I think the Emmy voters know the real truth: That Tatiana is only playing Sarah, and there are a bunch of clones playing the other characters, thus no nomination for her.
Lol...nice one. I imagine the 18,000 industry 'professionals' are actually that dense.
For Maslany to be overlooked, somebody, somewhere, pissed-off some old, Emmy fart enough for them to have influence. Or, sci-fi really does get a pass.
But considering what Monsanto's doing to our food, is 'Clone Club' really that far fetched?
I've seen all the actresses nominated, and at least three could have been easily replaced for Maslany's nomination.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's gripe when Planet of the Apes (and not 2001) won a special Oscar for its ape make-up: "They must have thought we used real apes."
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #54
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Voting for nominations is done by the members of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Everybody can vote on nominations for Comedy Series, Drama Series, Miniseries, and Made-For-TV Movie; voting for nominations in other categories is done by the members of the appropriate branch of the Academy. (As they used to say on the Oscars, "Actors nominate actors, directors nominate directors, and so forth.")

No one is going to watch every show; the nominating ballot lists 108 series eligible for the Drama Series Emmy. This is why networks send out "For Your Consideration" videos to Academy members.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote