TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #61
webcrawlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
6 tuners on 6 different HD channels at about 6 Gb per hour, thats over 850Gb per day giving you somewhere in the 2 year range of SSD life using your data above.
That's a fair point for a 6 tuner system but the OP is using a Series 3 which if I'm not mistaken is a 2 tuner system. In that case worst case scenario, leaving both tuners on HD channels all the time, gives the drive a life of nearly 7 years.
webcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #62
rodnig1

update on my directivo ssd upgrade

after 5 days, its running fine, except for that menu glitch every now and then. not seeing any reall improved performance, and that's pretty much what i expected. Im sure it will start quicker, but that hasn't been tested by me

the big thing is that its quiet!!!!! for my bedroom, that's all i really wanted!! im sleeping much better now
rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #63
Bigg

This is the stupidest thread. If you want something quieter, but a TiVo Mini or DirecTV C31 in the "quiet" room, and the HR44 or Roamio Pro/Plus in another room.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #64
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
This is the stupidest thread. If you want something quieter, but a TiVo Mini or DirecTV C31 in the "quiet" room, and the HR44 or Roamio Pro/Plus in another room.
Especially when you condenser the cost of a large SSD drive.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #65
Bigg

Quote:
Especially when you condenser the cost of a large SSD drive.
Yup. I have a 500GB one in my laptop, but that's for a $2500 computer with limited internal space.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #66
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
This is the stupidest thread..

Then why are you reading and posting in it?
Your suggestion was fine without the thread crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #67
rodnig1

take a look at the cost of ssd drives lately, you can buy a crucial 480gb for about $250.... that certainly makes it worth installing an ssd now
rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #68
mcf57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnig1 View Post
take a look at the cost of ssd drives lately, you can buy a crucial 480gb for about $250.... that certainly makes it worth installing an ssd now
Really? An 3TB WD drive is going for about $128 (2TB for about $95). With not much real improvement in performance, not sure its still worth it.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #69
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Really? An 3TB WD drive is going for about $128 (2TB for about $95). With not much real improvement in performance, not sure its still worth it.
If one has super sensitive ears and needs a TiVo in the bedroom 450Mb at $250 may be a good trade off, this would not be for speed, just noise, the fan in my Roamio makes more noise than the drive, but with a SSD one may not even need a fan, or spend the $250 for a Mini for the bedroom, same money more record space and no noise.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #70
Bigg

Quote:
If one has super sensitive ears and needs a TiVo in the bedroom 450Mb at $250 may be a good trade off, this would not be for speed, just noise, the fan in my Roamio makes more noise than the drive, but with a SSD one may not even need a fan, or spend the $250 for a Mini for the bedroom, same money more record space and no noise.
Exactly. The Mini/C31 is always going to win.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #71
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
I would think the power supply needs the cooling more than the drive. Or is the total power supply on a Roamio on the outside?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #72
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I would think the power supply needs the cooling more than the drive. Or is the total power supply on a Roamio on the outside?
It is on the basic model, but with switching type power supplies I not sure you need the fan, the hard drive takes up to 1/2 the power of the total unit, so with a SSD drive one would have to measure the internal temp to find out.
Also I don't know if you can format, in any model of the series 4, a drive smaller than the original drive, if you can't, even a 450Mb drive will not work.