TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
zippy216

Premier XL4 and cablecards

I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA. I purchased a Premier XL4 DVR on 10/13. I installed the box, disconnecting my working Comcast HD box, went through the quick setup and installed the cablecard (Motorola M-Card) that I had picked up at the local comcast office. I then activated lifetime service on the tivo box and called Comcast and had them activate my cablecard. I have yet to receive any live tv. on 10/15 a comcast tech came to our house, attempted activate the cablecard again and when he was unsuccessful installed a new card and called in to have it activated. Still nothing. Yesterday a Comcast tech supervisor came out with 4 more M-Cards and was still unsuccessful in getting Live TV. We got on the phone with Tivo support and the comcast support but after about 15 minutes were still unable to get any signal. all I get on every channel is "Channel not available, contact cable provider" Tivo says its the comcast service and comcast says it must be the box. Know that this box is a new product, I'm wondering if there is something Comcast may not have done other than activating the M-card with the serial number, Host ID and Data ID.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know what I, Tivo or Comcast must do differently to get my box working. I hate to think I paid almost $800 for a paperweight.

I am at work but took some photos of the cablecard screens if that helps
zippy216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Comcast routinely screws up CableCARD activation, I lean more to it being them, but I'd suggest you post this in the Comcast CableCARD thread
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
zippy216

Cable Signal

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't I get channels even if the cablecard isn't paired?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy216 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't I get channels even if the cablecard isn't paired?
No. Unfortunately. If Cable card isn't paired, you get zip/zilch/nada. Unless you possibly had a TivoHD and had the cable split so that it went into the "antenna" connection to get clear QAM or something. But XL4 only has one input for Cable. No antenna
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

With some cable companies you may get some of the Basic Tier SD channels and with other cable companies you get nothing. Fortunately, my cable company sends unencrypted channels over the cable so I can at least verify that the Tivo works while struggling with the CableCard pairing. Can you get any channels directly on your TV from the cable? I would think that you could get the same ones on the Tivo without a CableCard.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
zippy216

Channels

I get nothing but a message, "channel not available, contact your cable provider". Thats why I think the cable signal may not be getting int othe box/bad connector. Is there anyway in the tivo diagnostics to see if it receiving a signal? Like I said the Comcast HD box works fine on the same connection. all we did was to detach it from the Comcast box and attach it to the Tivo box.
I do get the channel number, name and description of the current show but no video. But the channels come from when I do the setup and choose my zip code and cable provider/area, right?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy216 View Post
I get nothing but a message, "channel not available, contact your cable provider". Thats why I think the cable signal may not be getting int othe box/bad connector. Is there anyway in the tivo diagnostics to see if it receiving a signal? Like I said the Comcast HD box works fine on the same connection. all we did was to detach it from the Comcast box and attach it to the Tivo box.
I do get the channel number, name and description of the current show but no video. But the channels come from when I do the setup and choose my zip code and cable provider/area, right?
Take the cable card out, do a channel scan, you should be able to see the networks stations HD in the clear. That will prove that the cable signal is OK, you also can check the signal strength, should be 50% to 98%, to high a signal (like 100%) and that may be a problem. If that is OK than you have to check the back channel, the simple way to do that is to get a Comcast Cable box from a friend and see if you can get On Demand. The Comcast tech should have a meter to check all the stuff above.
One more thing, if the Comcast tec can get directly to the correct people than your cable card can be turned off to a point that the TiVo thinks you removed the card and cable card missing message comes up. After that Comcast can re-program the card and all will work.

Last edited by lessd : 10-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
WVZR1

You don't post your location but I believe I'd do this. Remove cable card.

Go here:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Using your zipcode and the drop-down pick your provider and try using your TiVo as a QAM tuner! Skip forward is the - in the QAM. There might be just a few or several available. If you can tune a QAM then you've got a cable signal.
WVZR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
You don't post your location but I believe I'd do this. Remove cable card.

Go here:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Using your zipcode and the drop-down pick your provider and try using your TiVo as a QAM tuner! Skip forward is the - in the QAM. There might be just a few or several available. If you can tune a QAM then you've got a cable signal.
You want to check your cable not the OTA signal, your link is for OTA stations in your area. I am in the Hartfiord CT area using Comcast

Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
jtmal0723

I had issues getting my card to work as well when I first got one for my new Premiere unit. I would highly recommend calling the Comcast CableCARD hotline at 1 (877) 405-2298. They are incredibly helpful, not in a foreign country, and know what they are doing. Make sure you have your Serial Number (on the card itself), Data ID, etc from your CableCARD MMI screen before calling. Have them remove ALL pairing info related to this card first, then have them readd it with the numbers. Have the phone representative read you back the numbers you have just to be sure it adds up properly. It may take up to 45 minutes for it to fully receive all the channel mapping information. I was able to get my service fully working after 3 unpairing attempts. Best of luck to you! I hope this helps.

PS: If you are still at no avail, it could (but I cannot guarantee) possibly be a TiVo defect and you're within the 30 day period for a swap.
jtmal0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
I had issues getting my card to work as well when I first got one for my new Premiere unit. I would highly recommend calling the Comcast CableCARD hotline at 1 (877) 405-2298. They are incredibly helpful, not in a foreign country, and know what they are doing. Make sure you have your Serial Number (on the card itself), Data ID, etc from your CableCARD MMI screen before calling. Have them remove ALL pairing info related to this card first, then have them readd it with the numbers. Have the phone representative read you back the numbers you have just to be sure it adds up properly. It may take up to 45 minutes for it to fully receive all the channel mapping information. I was able to get my service fully working after 3 unpairing attempts. Best of luck to you! I hope this helps.

PS: If you are still at no avail, it could (but I cannot guarantee) possibly be a TiVo defect and you're within the 30 day period for a swap.
For the first time I did have a problem getting a Cable Card activated using the Comcast 2289 tel number, Comcast sent out a tech, without a new CC but he said no problem, the tech called a special number that only a Comcast tech can use, they were able to turn the cable card off to a point that the TiVo said the cable card was removed, (I never knew Comcast had that capability) than the card was reprogrammed and the card worked in less than 10 seconds. So the special Comcast number for cable cards will not work all the time. Our Comcast system just had a big upgrade, all the HD channels were moved to 4 digit numbers and all analog channels were removed.