TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
rexwkramer

Angry Problem Downloading Program Information

I sent our Series 3 HD Tivo to Weaknees for correction of a repeated hang of the TiVo program. They checked it out and could not find any hardware problems. When it returned, It now has a problem downloading program information after the initial 2 week download following guided setup. Program download proceeds normally until Loading, then Loading starts at 63% and dumps TiVo to Live TV without Organizing, thus not producing any usable program information. TiVo Tech support has had me upgrade my WiFi Adapter and attempt a guided setup for a different zip code to clear data and then repeat for my zip. They say because Weaknees touched the TiVo they are not allowed to troubleshoot.
rexwkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Most like it dumped you to LIVE TV because there is a timed out due to remote inactivity. The process should continue in the background.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
rexwkramer

Angry Loading Program Information

Thanks for the input. When Loading completes and it dumps to live TV, no new program information is available on the TiVo unit. It goes through the entire Loading sequence and then organizes on the initial Program information download after guided set up, but then incomplete and unsatisfactory downloads thereafter. I suspect it is a software problem that would clear if I reloaded the software that governs Program Information download. I have no idea how to do this and TiVo doesn't either.
rexwkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexwkramer View Post
Thanks for the input. When Loading completes and it dumps to live TV, no new program information is available on the TiVo unit. It goes through the entire Loading sequence and then organizes on the initial Program information download after guided set up, but then incomplete and unsatisfactory downloads thereafter. I suspect it is a software problem that would clear if I reloaded the software that governs Program Information download. I have no idea how to do this and TiVo doesn't either.
You could try a "Clear Program Information & To Do List". It's far more likely that the PI database got corrupted than that the s/w is corrupt. If all else fails and you get desperate, there's "Clear & Delete Everything".

Not withstanding the fact that weaKnees could not find anything, you could have a disk or PS going bad.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
mcf57

I may have a similar issue. I have a series 3 (TCD652160) that seems to dump out in the middle of a service connection and never fully completes. I pulled it and connected it to another PC. Then ran a WD lifeguard diagnostic extended test on it. It did say that some sectors needed to be repaired. I chose to repair them & it said it was successful doing this, but is this a sign the drive is going? Or does this mean maybe the software is corrupted?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I may have a similar issue. I have a series 3 (TCD652160) that seems to dump out in the middle of a service connection and never fully completes. I pulled it and connected it to another PC. Then ran a WD lifeguard diagnostic extended test on it. It did say that some sectors needed to be repaired. I chose to repair them & it said it was successful doing this, but is this a sign the drive is going? Or does this mean maybe the software is corrupted?
Most likely h/w, either the disk or PS. Did you happen to check out the caps on the PS while you had the TiVo open?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Yes, it's time to replace that drive.

I suggest a WD20EURS or the newer version, the WD20EURX.

Those sectors weren't caused by the TiVo software on the drive, they represent a failure of the drive itself (or more accurately a failure of areas on the platters). Every drive has "extra" sectors known only to the drive itself, and the addresses of those bad sectors have now been remapped to some of those spare sectors, and it did the best it could to write to the new ones the data on the old ones.

But just because the TiVo software can't make the drive go bad doesn't mean that a drive going bad can't scramble the TiVo software.

Now that those sectors have been remapped, the drive may last for years. Or more sectors might start going bad tomorrow.

You'll find out which the hard way.

Replace the drive.

Run the drive maker's own diagnostic long test on the new drive before putting it into service, 'cause sometimes stuff happens, especially during shipping.

And while you've got the TiVo opened up anyway it would be a good time to check the power supply.

Actually it would be a good time to go ahead and replace the capacitors on it which are the usual suspects and save yourself having to do it later, since it's almost certainly a case of when and not if.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
mcf57

I actually did check the PS and the capacitors looked fine. No budging caps. The first time I ran the WD extended test, it took about 2hrs. I actually ran it again on this same drive & started it before I went to bed. This morning, I checked it before going to work and it was still going and seemed like it said it had several hours left and about only 50% done.

I didn't have time to really investigate, but I suspect it wasn't passing the test and therefore simply needs to be replaced. Will do so with another 250GB spare SATA drive I have (and after I put the right image on it with WinMFS)

Last edited by mcf57 : 04-23-2014 at 01:04 PM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote