Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Joy Jr View Post
I TOTALLY missed that. Is naturally occurring electrical activity still present in absence of other electrical activity?
Humans are still alive, so it must be.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #122
cheesesteak
Meh.

They must be able to generate static electricity too.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #123
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers

Like somebody else said: Why would you? These people are still in survival mode not in expedition mode. Risk would be way higher than reward.

not to mention the needed supplies, time and knowledge to do so.
It does bother me that so much of the nitpicking and people patting themselves on the back for being "logical" continually ignore the reality of security, food, water and shelter being the only concerns for almost everyone for a very long time. So when people mock the show for not taking of steam train museums or retrofitting ships with sails but always fail to explain how any of those things contribute to the basic and constantly pressing need for protection, shelter, food of water. I just feel like some people who continually have a go at the show seriously do not grasp the gravity and all encompassing need to survive first. People worried about these eccentric, in relative terms, plans and luxuries will perish. People will kill each other over resources or the threats of using resources. Someone trying to make sails will be killed for being crazy, wasting resources and being an easy target.

Finally there is a lot we obviously do not know. It is weird that some almost seem like the first 180 minutes of the show should have been a detailed documentary of the last fifteen years and not a story that picked up fifteen years after an earth shattering event. So for me the most faulty I logic i see comes from the criticisms by people who seemingly really have a misguided handle on human nature and how people might behave and that revolution should have unfolded in a way that would have made it not a story but a fictional documentary that nobody would care about.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #124
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
...Finally there is a lot we obviously do not know. It is weird that some almost seem like the first 180 minutes of the show should have been a detailed documentary of the last fifteen years and not a story that picked up fifteen years after an earth shattering event. So for me the most faulty I logic i see comes from the criticisms by people who seemingly really have a misguided handle on human nature and how people might behave and that revolution should have unfolded in a way that would have made it not a story but a fictional documentary that nobody would care about.
Well, somebody needs to know what happened during the last 15 years. The characters don't seem to.

Teacher Aaron just happens to be asking the kids if they're curious about why the power went out after 15 years?

Monroe decides he needs to send a squad to bring in Ben hisself after 15 years? after he imprisoned Ben's wife Rachel to ask for 15 years? what Ben knows.

After 15 years, would Rachel and Monroe still be "Are you going to ask me the same questions again?" and then torture her to get her to answer....for 15 years?

Dying Ben tells Charlie and all to find his lost brother Miles after 15 years?

Ben gives the amulet up after 15 years?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #125
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...Finally there is a lot we obviously do not know. It is weird that some almost seem like the first 180 minutes of the show should have been a detailed documentary of the last fifteen years and not a story that picked up fifteen years after an earth shattering event. So for me the most faulty I logic i see comes from the criticisms by people who seemingly really have a misguided handle on human nature and how people might behave and that revolution should have unfolded in a way that would have made it not a story but a fictional documentary that nobody would care about.
Well, somebody needs to know what happened during the last 15 years. The characters don't seem to.

Teacher Aaron just happens to be asking the kids if they're curious about why the power went out after 15 years?

Monroe decides he needs to send a squad to bring in Ben hisself after 15 years? after he imprisoned Ben's wife Rachel to ask for 15 years? what Ben knows.

After 15 years, would Rachel and Monroe still be "Are you going to ask me the same questions again?" and then torture her to get her to answer....for 15 years?

With Ben being killed Captain brings Ben's son Danny in to get to Monroe, so he can use Danny for leverage with Rachel for more of "Are you going to ask me the same questions again?"
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #126
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

It was probably because he was dying and needed others to carry on his part in some grand plan. Had he survived, it would not have been necessary to find Miles or deliver the amulet to another keeper.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
I fast forwarded through a lot of this episode, so might have missed it. In the pilot, Danny's asthma seemed fairly severe and it was easy to trigger an attack, yet hiding in a dusty cellar that collapsed and dumped even more dust into the air did not trigger an attack. I do not know anyone with asthma, so don't know how realistic the portrayal is, but it seems to me that if the dust in the motor home of the pilot triggered an attack, being in that cellar sure would have as well.
He had an attack when he directly breathed in the dust. I am the same way. I can be fine in a dusty environment for a while, but with prolonged exposure I will gradually start to have issues. But if I breathe in a bunch of dust directly, like when he opened that cabinet, my lungs will start to close up right away.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #128
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

With Ben being killed Captain brings Ben's son Danny in to get to Monroe, so he can use Danny for leverage with Rachel for more of "Are you going to ask me the same questions again?"
Rachel was not there for 15 years. I have no idea how long but when they showed her leaving, the kids looked older than when the blackout occurred.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #129
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I am, frankly, surprised at how much of the discussion is about whether the female characters are attractive or not.

Seriously. Are we really that shallow that we can't enjoy a story if we aren't attracted to the female leads, guys? How on earth did Rosanne stay on the air for so many years?
When they can't act, we move along to the next most obvious thing?
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #130
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
I fast forwarded through a lot of this episode, so might have missed it. In the pilot, Danny's asthma seemed fairly severe and it was easy to trigger an attack, yet hiding in a dusty cellar that collapsed and dumped even more dust into the air did not trigger an attack. I do not know anyone with asthma, so don't know how realistic the portrayal is, but it seems to me that if the dust in the motor home of the pilot triggered an attack, being in that cellar sure would have as well.
People have different triggers. For me it's cigarette smoke. For instance dust affects me but not nearly as severe as a friend of mine from High School.
180hr S2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #131
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcanzo View Post
Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Music_Park
It was last open in 2009
I live here. No way that park looks like that. They must have dressed it up a little if they used that one for the show.
180hr S2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #132
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
It does bother me that so much of the nitpicking and people patting themselves on the back for being "logical" continually ignore the reality of security, food, water and shelter being the only concerns for almost everyone for a very long time. So when people mock the show for not taking of steam train museums or retrofitting ships with sails but always fail to explain how any of those things contribute to the basic and constantly pressing need for protection, shelter, food of water. I just feel like some people who continually have a go at the show seriously do not grasp the gravity and all encompassing need to survive first. People worried about these eccentric, in relative terms, plans and luxuries will perish. People will kill each other over resources or the threats of using resources. Someone trying to make sails will be killed for being crazy, wasting resources and being an easy target.

Finally there is a lot we obviously do not know. It is weird that some almost seem like the first 180 minutes of the show should have been a detailed documentary of the last fifteen years and not a story that picked up fifteen years after an earth shattering event. So for me the most faulty I logic i see comes from the criticisms by people who seemingly really have a misguided handle on human nature and how people might behave and that revolution should have unfolded in a way that would have made it not a story but a fictional documentary that nobody would care about.
You have a good point. From a historical point of view the main driving force behind travel was exploration and the unknown. So in these peoples view, why travel hours and hours to get to someplace you know everything about already. And from a practical point of view, very few necessities could be gotten by travelling over seas. Most anything recoverable would be a luxury and these people haven't gotten there yet. They need to nail basic needs first before looking for luxuries. They basically have to start the industrial revolution all over again.
180hr S2

Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #133
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Rachel was not there for 15 years. I have no idea how long but when they showed her leaving, the kids looked older than when the blackout occurred.
You're probably right that Rachel hasn't been with Monroe for 15 years. But based on the ages of the kids when she left vs. their ages now, it's probably been at least ten years. So either way, the questions still remain: Why has Monroe had Rachel for ten years and only now is looking for Ben and Miles?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #134
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
You're probably right that Rachel hasn't been with Monroe for 15 years. But based on the ages of the kids when she left vs. their ages now, it's probably been at least ten years. So either way, the questions still remain: Why has Monroe had Rachel for ten years and only now is looking for Ben and Miles?
Even mo' bettah! We now know that MONROE HAD MILES ON HIS TEAM when Rachel turned herself in! Mighten Monroe have asked Miles all about what/why Ben knew when MILES WAS HIS #1 GUY?

Not only that, Monroe's militia obviously knew where Ben was, but it takes Captian 15 years to find him?

Do the writers of this show watch the show?

BTW, note how the Revolution episodes go in alternating "characters just walking/talking crisis" and "really cool bigtime props & special effects" cycles. They need the budget to last for all 22(1) episodes. This was all talk. Next week we get a steam train! (BTW, a steam locomotive works just fine even if you don't pull the whistle.)

I'll be dropping the SP on this fiasco.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #135
pmyers

Quote:
...I'll be dropping the SP on this fiasco.
I'll be checking this week's episode thread....
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #136
pmyers

btw...my feeling on why the militia is just now wanting Ben/the kid is because something has probably just now surfaced that they didn't know about before.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #137
amcanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I live here. No way that park looks like that. They must have dressed it up a little if they used that one for the show.
In one of the scenes you can see the top of the Giant Guitar. IMDB says that was the location
amcanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #138
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcanzo View Post
In one of the scenes you can see the top of the Giant Guitar. IMDB says that was the location
He's not saying it's not the location; he's saying it doesn't look like that. "They must have dressed it up."
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #139
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I'll be checking this week's episode thread....
Don't get your hopes up. I have the that Soul Train episode recorded. They get one more chance.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #140
pmyers

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up. I have the that Soul Train episode recorded. They get one more chance.
fair enough (I'm going to watch it tonight) but then you either have to get on or off the train!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #141
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
fair enough (I'm going to watch it tonight) but then you either have to get on or off the train!
Deleted.

I'm so fed up I'll stay out of the Train thread.

I want those 4 hours of my life back.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #142
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I'm not deleting the SP, but I think I'll skip reading these Revolution threads.

That way whatever inconsistencies and logic flaws I don't notice will stay unnoticed.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #143
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
When they film at the local park by our house, they always add extra playground equipment, trees, bushes, and benches. I would expect them to do the same with an amusement park, abandoned or not.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #144
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So either way, the questions still remain: Why has Monroe had Rachel for ten years and only now is looking for Ben and Miles?
They have been looking for a long time. They just found them now. The captain said in the pilot when he first arrived at the village that he'd been looking for him for "a long time."
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #145
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
They have been looking for a long time. They just found them now. The captain said in the pilot when he first arrived at the village that he'd been looking for him for "a long time."
Plus we don't know the reason why Rachel left in the first place, or what happened early on. One possibility was that she turned herself in under the guise of, "My family is dead, and I have nowhere else to go." Perhaps it was only recently (within the last 1-2 years) that Monroe found out otherwise. He might have been looking for Miles, and stumbled across information that Ben was still alive.