TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #121
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsando View Post
Finding the thread is really interesting!

I have had my Base Roamio and Mini's for almost a year now and have never had a problem with my RF remotes, however I have just started having the same problems describe here.

My Base Roamio with Slide remote keeps randomly switching back and forth between RF (yellow) and IR (red)

My Mini with normal RF remote keeps randomly sending 2 x page down when scrolling through the guide.

I recently replace my wifi access points and thought it may be tied to that, however I am not starting to wonder if it was something in a Tivo software update.

I turn off the AP's and will try to do some more troubleshooting this weekend.
I've wondered sometimes just how the RF-capable remotes decide when to send RF versus IR or what color LED to flash. When sending to a TV or AVR, presumably they just send IR. But when sending to a TiVo, do they detect some continuous RF beacon from the box and send RF only if it's present? Or do they always send both and then flash the right color LED only if there is an RF handshake from the box? Or what?

Some posts in this thread have caused me to wonder recently if sending both RF and IR commands simultaneously to a TiVo could in some circumstances cause the box to recognize and act upon both signals instead of ignoring the redundant IR signal like it's presumably supposed to do. This could be the result of some sort of timing problem.

My 4-tuner Roamio (used only for OTA) has on at least one occasion doubled presses of the Live TV button when cycling past only one of the four tuners, refusing to stop on only that tuner each time around. That surely can't have been a coincidence caused by hardware "contact bounce" or whatever. I wonder if a bit more code has to execute when cycling from tuner 3 back to tuner 0, with the extra millisecond or two causing what should be seen as a duplicate IR code to be seen instead as independent from the RF code which it should have matched, or something like that. Food for thought.

Last edited by L David Matheny; 05-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #122
JoeKustra
Cable only

It has merit since my basic Roamio can not receive IR codes. So when a command fails, I wait a few seconds and try it again. Sometime I look at the remote and see a red LED. Sometimes not, so I wait.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote