TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #91
redbeard25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
You could put electrical tape over the IR window, but then you couldn't control the auxiliary devices like your TV from the TiVo remote.

A better way might be to set the IR address of the remote to something you don't use, like address 9, and set all your TiVo receivers to some other IR address. This is what I have done.

Link to thread discussing how to change IR addresses on TiVo remotes and receivers.
Here's the problem though. I want it yellow (RF) all the time. When I press the Tivo buttons (like, say, the "Tivo" button,) it goes

yellow
yellow
yellow
red
yellow
yelllow
red
red
red
red
yellow
yellow

It's like the remote itself is saying, "I'm not going to even try RF. I'm just going to go IR for this press."

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

It sounds like something is wrong. I use six remotes in rf mode and they stay in rf mode unless I take it out of range. And I would need to go to the other end of my condo to go out of range. It is pretty far.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #93
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard25 View Post
Here's the problem though. I want it yellow (RF) all the time. When I press the Tivo buttons (like, say, the "Tivo" button,) it goes

yellow
yellow
yellow
red
yellow
yelllow
red
red
red
red
yellow
yellow

It's like the remote itself is saying, "I'm not going to even try RF. I'm just going to go IR for this press."
Same frequently happens to me too. It comes and goes. Very frustrating especially when trying to stop a fast forward. I even bought a new remote but the same thing happens with it.

Last edited by RoyK; 07-25-2015 at 09:41 AM.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #94
bbrown9

Mine just started doing this recently. I thought it might be the batteries but it says 80% or something like that on the info screen. I tried changing them anyway just in case the info screen isn't accurate. It made no difference.

bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #95
krkaufman

If your remote is having trouble maintaining its RF connection, you may consider adjusting the location of the associated Mini or DVR. My connectivity improved when I moved my Mini from just behind/below our 65" Sony LCD to about 5-ft to its left.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #96
bbrown9

Nothing has changed with my setup, though. The TiVo and the TV are both in the same locations for a long time. I'm sitting the same disatance away. The remote just started acting funny. I wonder if this one is just on its way out and I should get a new one.

bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #97
Teeps

My Roamio remote exhibits the same or similar behavior as in post #91.
Has done this since new.
But because of this thread I did not seek a remedy from TiVo...
Guess we are all still waiting for that vapor-ware Margarete implied was coming.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #98
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Nothing has changed with my setup, though. The TiVo and the TV are both in the same locations for a long time. I'm sitting the same disatance away. The remote just started acting funny. I wonder if this one is just on its way out and I should get a new one.
If it works fine sometimes and gets flakey sometimes it's the same problem many of us are seeing. A new remote won't help, I can testify to that.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #99
El Maestro

I am sure you tried this, but...

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio. I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses. I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #100
redbeard25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio. I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses. I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.
I didn't think of that, but I just did it, and it seems to help. Odd that it could get in a "partially paired" state. Thanks!

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #101
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard25 View Post
I didn't think of that, but I just did it, and it seems to help. Odd that it could get in a "partially paired" state. Thanks!
I have done that several times in the 7 months I've had my Roamio. It does sometimes help for a short time but then the problem starts again. Holding down the D button and the tivo button to force the remote to RF mode sometimes works, again for a while. Same experience with both the remote that came with the box and the new one I purchased from Amazon.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #102
convergent

I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis, and I've noticed the Roamio remote is doing this. The 2 Minis seem to be consistently working with RF with no problem. The Roamio is sitting on an open rack about 7' from me with no obstructions and there is no wireless phone or anything this room. Strange. I'm going to try swapping the remotes around to see if it follows the remote or not.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #103
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis, and I've noticed the Roamio remote is doing this. The 2 Minis seem to be consistently working with RF with no problem. The Roamio is sitting on an open rack about 7' from me with no obstructions and there is no wireless phone or anything this room. Strange. I'm going to try swapping the remotes around to see if it follows the remote or not.
Is it sitting anywhere near other RF (Wi-Fi) devices, such as a Wi-Fi enabled HDTV?

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #104
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Is it sitting anywhere near other RF (Wi-Fi) devices, such as a Wi-Fi enabled HDTV?
Wifi devices... they are all over the house. There are iPads, Smartphones, and laptops ... probably 10 of them total in the house. I don't think there are any more or less in the different rooms. There is also a router and a couple of Wifi network extenders. If they created a system that is disrupted by Wifi, that is a pretty bad design.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #105
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio.

I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses.

I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.
Roamio Basic, (a referb, after original RB failed after just 96 days of use.)
I did the "pairing" procedure yesterday.
Had no problems, with the remote switching from RF to IR and back to RF.

However, in reading the instructions on the remote pairing page.
I did not see the indicator blink or even come on when landing on the pair remote page...

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote