Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #61
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
see, I hate the RDJ version of Holmes, SH was never an action hero.
No, that's not what I mean. I don't want him to be an action hero... I just wanted him to be... I don't know what the word I'm looking for is. All I've got is hotter and more charismatic.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #62
john4200

Quote:
I don't hate the action-Sherlock, but I agree it was a non-traditional interpretation. But I think I will hate a sensitive-Sherlock, if the trend of the pilot continues to make Sherlock sensitive to people's feelings.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #63
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I don't hate the action-Sherlock, but I agree it was a non-traditional interpretation. But I think I will hate a sensitive-Sherlock, if the trend of the pilot continues to make Sherlock sensitive to people's feelings.
Yes, maybe less sensitive is what I'm looking for.

RDJ is very flashy and action hero-y. I liked it, but it wasn't really what I wanted from the tv show. Benedict Cumberbatch comes across very logical and asexual. I also enjoy that show, but he's a bit sterile.

I just wanted a little less sensitivity/bookishness, and a little more boldness.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #64
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I think if you look back Sherlock always valued Watson's friendship and input and was rarely if ever rude to him and certainly didn't treat him as a servant. I think we'll get there in this show, but they are showing us the journey to that place. Sherlock is going to have to see Watson as more of an equal before the tension will be gone. We have 6 weeks. After that time either Sherlock will have to have regressed to a point where Watson has to stay on or they will have developed a relationship of sorts where LL will stay on of her own accord.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #65
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I was just shying away from the implication (unintentional?) that Moorcock is wrong to not like LotR ("missed the boat"), rather than simply having a different opinion (chose to take a different boat).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I don't care for LotR, and I am never wrong, so Moorcock must be right.
No, I'm not saying that Moorcock is wrong not to like LOTR. I agree with many of the points that he makes in "Epic Pooh". But -- even though Moorcock is right, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

What I'm saying is that "Epic Pooh" reminds me of the joke about the multiple blind men all holding a different part of the elephant and arguing about the part they have. Moorcock only took hold of the elephant's tail -- he's choosing to ignore a rather large portion of the elephant.

He may not care for the other parts of the elephant either, but even so, he ignores what makes LOTR good for the other people who like it. Which is okay, as long as we don't loose sight of the fact that the defects he outlines in "Epic Pooh" aren't the whole story.

There is other commentary which shows how great LOTR is, from the sublime (any of the essays written by Ursula K. Le Guin; Paul H. Kocher's Master of Middle-Earth, and so on) to the ridiculous (the Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings, or the South Park episode "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers").

How does this relate to Elementary vs. Sherlock?

The showrunners and cast and crew are trying to make their show, and their show deserves to be judged, at least part of the time, on how well or badly they achieved what they were attempting to do, in as much as a reviewer can deduce that.

E.g. if you are super-critical it is easy to pick holes in Baywatch, but if you look at what kind of show it was, the showrunners obviousy did deliver a show that entertained a lot of people. They set themselves modest goals and did pretty well at achieving those. If you hold Baywatch to the same standards as The West Wing, it fails pretty miserably.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #66
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I think if you look back Sherlock always valued Watson's friendship and input and was rarely if ever rude to him and certainly didn't treat him as a servant.
Sure, traditional Holmes is not deliberately rude to Watson, and does consider him a friend. But traditional Holmes is also quite selfish and self-absorbed. He does not concern himself with Watson's (or anyone's) feelings, unless it will help him solve a case (and usually not even then). Observation and rationality are paramount.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #67
Flop

Quote:
+1. RDJ Sherlock Holmes is just a joke.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #68
nyny523
Oy

OK, I gotta ask...

WTF is RDJ???
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
OK, I gotta ask...

WTF is RDJ???
Took me a minute when they first started that, too:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000375/
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #70
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Took me a minute when they first started that, too:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000375/
Ah! Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't love him as Sherlock Holmes, but DAMN the man is hawt! Not just good looking, but funny!

Love a guy who can make you laugh...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #71
eddyj

Quote:
Love a guy who can make you laugh...
Not what you said when I made you laugh right after your heart surgery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #72
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Not what you said when I made you laugh right after your heart surgery!
I didn't want ANYONE to make me laugh then - it HURT!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #73
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
OK, I gotta ask...

WTF is RDJ???
Sorry, I was being lazy, but then I went and typed out Benedict Cumberbatch, so I don't even know.