TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
mkazen
Tivo Geek

Just replaced primary drive, now lockups

I have a TiVo HD with the original 160GB drive and a WD My DVR Expander external drive. The primary drive was failing (although it passed the SMART tests and I haven't hooked it up to the computer yet for testing). Instead I used PyTiVo to pull all the recordings I was interested in, un-paired the DVR Expander, then used winMFS to copy the image off the primary drive to a 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive. It booted up fine, although I first went to Live TV and it got stuck displaying live tv for a few minutes (i.e. the buttons were unresponsive, although it continued to display live TV). After about 3-4 minutes, all the button presses I used "went through" and it started responding normally. I figured it was just doing some indexing or something like that in the background.

I started pulling all the shows back from my PC running pyTiVo, and it seemed to queue them up fine. after about 30 shows queued, the last one just got stuck on "this will be transferred" and the buttons became unresponsive again. From the computer I could browse what was on the TiVo, but for about 10 minutes I couldn't do anything on the TiVo itself.

So is this normal or is something wrong? Is the TiVo just doing some cleanup and getting used to the larger drive, or did I pick the wrong drive to do this with? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
mattack

I thought that if you unpair an expander, you basically lose all recordings (since they're striped across the internal & external drive).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote