TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
headless chicken

How many cablecards needed for FiOS?

I have an upgraded 1TB Series3 (648-0001-8020-B01B). Can I get away with one M-cablecard when I switch to FiOS from Cablevision? I want to maintain dual tuner functionality.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

My original Series 3 still requires two M-cards to support dual-tuner functionality.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
My original Series 3 still requires two M-cards to support dual-tuner functionality.
Ugh. So I'm going to be charged for two again even though it's technically only utilizing the capability of one multi-stream card?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

yep, original OLED S3's will always require 2 cards, if you only have one they become a single tuner device.

Still a decent trade in my book, I love my S3
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Series 3 (TCD648) requires the use of 2 cable cards, type does not matter. It is the predecessor to the Tivo HD (TCD652) which can use 2 single or 1 multi stream cable cards.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
headless chicken

Okay, that's what I thought. Perhaps I can talk FiOS into only charging for one card because they're both going to be used on the same unit. I know Cablevision charged per card.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
teasip

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Okay, that's what I thought. Perhaps I can talk FiOS into only charging for one card because they're both going to be used on the same unit. I know Cablevision charged per card.
Knowing how many others have entered the "Twilight Zone" of Verizon billing, can you only imagine the discussion of trying to persuade someone to give you one card for free, or better, see how they explain it in the antiquated billing system? This seems like a situation begging for a headache (no disrespect in any way meant toward the previous poster).

I mention this because I for grins walked into a local Verizon Plus store last weekend and just asked for the new "n" rated router. I got one for free just for asking (they sell them to others in most cases) but was told to bring back the old router (I've only got three of them to choose from and apparently they aren't aware that once out of contract that you have ownership of the router). I complied however due to their generosity by returning my old D-Link 624 router from the NIM days. The lady asked if I wanted a receipt and couldn't understand why I didn't need one. They didn't even have my name!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
lrhorer

<chuckle>

Well, at the very least you can be contented in the fact you kept your word. There is value in that.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote