TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
POLONASH

Best way to transfer shows to iPad

Sorry if this has been covered before. My green searching skills came up empty. I want to transfer shows/recordings from my Tivo HD to my Mac, then using iTunes, download the show to my IOS device for a true on-the-go experience(one that allows watching from the IOS devices HD outside the home network). I have TiVo desktop. I don't have Roxio but see some users with various software add-ons that may make it easier to do this? Is kttmg the answer? Details would be great such as do I need a certain video converter to make the video iTunes compatible?
POLONASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Forget Tivo Desktop.

Download using KMTTG, then decrypt, followed by encode with ff_ipad profile. (KMTTG will do all this.)

You can then pass it to iTunes.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
POLONASH

Great. Thanks for the info. I tried using kmttg but I seem to have a audio/video sync issue on the resulting file. The audio lags the video by a few seconds. I read about using QS Fix but it is greyed out and not available. Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
POLONASH

May have just answered my own question. I ran the kmttg.jar version of the program and QS Fix is now an option. Weird?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The QSF option requires VideoReDo to be installed.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
jemenake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Download using KMTTG, then decrypt, followed by encode with ff_ipad profile. (KMTTG will do all this.)
Here's a related question (before I post it as a new thread). One of my upcoming evil-genius projects is to be able to skip the whole iTunes business, entirely, and just stream directly to the iPad.... from outside the house, of course. (So, it would be like a SlingBox or a TiVo-Stream box, but using the existing linux box I've got)

Surely, someone has figured this out, already, no?

At first, I thought I'd just be able to do port-forwarding on my home router to access the web interface on the TiVo, but that ran into problems. And it wouldn't have been optimal, anyway, since I would have been wasting out-bound bandwith. Ideally, I'd like to transcode the video as it's going out to the iPad/iPhone/iThing. Seeking to positions within the video is probably too much to ask.

Has much headway been made in this area?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemenake View Post

Here's a related question (before I post it as a new thread). One of my upcoming evil-genius projects is to be able to skip the whole iTunes business, entirely, and just stream directly to the iPad.... from outside the house, of course. (So, it would be like a SlingBox or a TiVo-Stream box, but using the existing linux box I've got)

Surely, someone has figured this out, already, no?

At first, I thought I'd just be able to do port-forwarding on my home router to access the web interface on the TiVo, but that ran into problems. And it wouldn't have been optimal, anyway, since I would have been wasting out-bound bandwith. Ideally, I'd like to transcode the video as it's going out to the iPad/iPhone/iThing. Seeking to positions within the video is probably too much to ask.

Has much headway been made in this area?
Download from your TiVo to your PC, as above, and then use the Air Video app to stream the video from your PC to your iPad (anywhere).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
jemenake

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Download from your TiVo to your PC, as above, and then use the Air Video app to stream the video from your PC to your iPad (anywhere).
Yeah... That's a little more brute-force than I had in mind. My hope was that I could craft a proxy on the Linux box which would transcode it on the fly, changing resolutions for the target device to minimize used bandwidth. Any solution which requires me to make a second copy of something which is already stored on the TiVo is kinda bad form.... besides the fact that I've got 1TB drives in my 2 TiVos. I'm loathe to devote another 2TB to storing a duplicate copy of a bunch of stuff which is likely never going to be watched from the iPad.

I guess I *could* use that program (was it KMTTG?) which has filters for only downloading *some* of the videos... but still.... it's so much slicker to just have something automatically transcode it on-the-fly for the target device as you need it.