TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
richlow

Thinking about switching from Cablevision SA8300 to TIVO..

Does TIVO allow me to watch 2 channels at the time? currently my rental SA8300 DVR on cablevision does.. but the unit doesn't work to well.. looking for alternatives..

TIA
richlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
lrhorer

Watch 2 channels at one time? No. It allows one to record 2 channels, download a 3rd show, and watch a previously recorded show all at once. The Premiere Elite allows one to record 4 channels, download a 5th, and watch a 6th pre-recorded video.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
mattack

Premiere 4 is a cheaper version that also does all of that. It's cable only btw.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlow View Post
Does TIVO allow me to watch 2 channels at the time? currently my rental SA8300 DVR on cablevision does.. but the unit doesn't work to well.. looking for alternatives..

TIA

"Does TIVO allow me to watch 2 channels at the time?

It only outputs one show at a time to the television or video monitor and audio system, but unless you were planning on aiming one eyeball at one TV and the other at another set...

It can be tuned to, and recording, 2 different channels at once, and you can go back and forth between which one appears on the output jacks.

And you can back up either or both by 30 minutes and pause either or both, so you can ping pong back and forth between two shows, like say Leno and Letterman, and skip commercials and manage to see most of both shows.

(and if it's one of the newest models with 4 tuners instead of 2, change the 2 in the sentence above to a 4)

As noted by others, it can simultaneously input more than it can output.

To be picky, while it's outputing video and audio to a TV, it can also be simultaneously sending a copy of something it already recorded to some other TiVo or computer on your home network--if your cable company didn't slap any copy restrictions on stuff from that channel.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
"Does TIVO allow me to watch 2 channels at the time?

It only outputs one show at a time to the television or video monitor and audio system, but unless you were planning on aiming one eyeball at one TV and the other at another set...
What one would do with the audio is an even trickier question. The only thing of which I could think was maybe he was speaking of picture-in-picture. 'Utterly horrid idea.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What one would do with the audio is an even trickier question. The only thing of which I could think was maybe he was speaking of picture-in-picture. 'Utterly horrid idea.
Back in the '70s I had some Koss 4 channel headphones with two drivers in each cup and two stereo phone plugs on the end of the cable that would probably come in handy for this situation.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
richlow

Quote:

TIA
Looking at the question, I didn't ask it correctly, Does TIVO do picture-in-picture like rental my of a SA8300 DVR thru cablevision.
richlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
Looking at the question, I didn't ask it correctly, Does TIVO do picture-in-picture like rental my of a SA8300 DVR thru cablevision.
Don't know anything about how your S8300 works but TiVos do not do picture-in-picture.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Don't know anything about how your S8300 works but TiVos do not do picture-in-picture.
They don't do picture in picture, but Premieres do show you the currently playing show in picture in picture while browsing the guide for example. (You can turn that off.)

I am separating this from true picture in picture, where you have two separate programs playing, one in ~75% of the screen, and one in ~25% of the screen. (I still use PIP VERY often to do some things like skim through shows where I know I'm only interested in a small part [late night talk shows], or do some tivo "maintenance" [removing duplicate shows from to do list, etc], while watching something else on my XS32 recorder in the main window.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote