Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #511
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Tonight's episode had a couple unusual things. First, I think it had the biggest disparity I've ever seen at the first commercial break: $9,600, $600, -$400. The lady in the lead hunted and pecked for a DD and when she got it she made it a true DD and doubled up.

But then toward the end of DJ, she got cocky. With the score $19,800, $14,000, $6,200 (she was in the lead), she got the last DD and bet $12,000 and lost, putting her way behind with only a couple clues left.

But ultimately it didn't matter. The returning champ was the only one who got FJ right, and the cocky challenger finished in 3rd place because she bet everything, while the guy in 3rd place left himself $1.

The champion has gone into FJ losing every day for the past 4 days and has won every time. The challenger was trying to win before FJ. She took a gamble and lost, but I don't blame her for trying.

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #512
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Very gutsy move. If I was confident of a category, I might have done the same. But probably not, my balls aren't brass like hers.

The champ is on an amazing streak. She's not flashy or cocky, but she really does have a good breadth of knowledge. And her ability to keep winning FJ is astounding. She's living the old adage, life is 90% luck and 90% timing. In her case, add in 90% smarts.

BTW, did anyone here get pepitas del oro?

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #513
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Very gutsy move. If I was confident of a category, I might have done the same. But probably not, my balls aren't brass like hers.

The champ is on an amazing streak. She's not flashy or cocky, but she really does have a good breadth of knowledge. And her ability to keep winning FJ is astounding. She's living the old adage, life is 90% luck and 90% timing. In her case, add in 90% smarts.

It was a very gutsy move but those answers in the NBA Spanish names weren't written very well.

rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #514
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I saw oro and knew it meant gold and the only thing I could think of was Golden State Warriors. I didn't think pepitas meant warriors but that's all that came to mind.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #515
waynomo
My One Time

The current champ, Alex Jacob, is a friend of my son. He knows him from poker. He at least was a professional poker player. I had no idea he was currently a currency trader. I'll have to ask my son about that.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2015/0...ardy-21238.htm

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #516
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Online test is tonight, the 15, and 16th. Sign up at Jeopardy.com.

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #517
waynomo
My One Time

I don't think this was mentioned here before. Thanks to my son I discovered a blog where the writer discusses Final Jeopardy betting strategy from the current show. It's called The Final Wager. http://thefinalwager.co There is also some other good info there.

And he he mentions a pun in the categories that I didn't get.

The last two categories in the Jeopardy! round were NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS and DIE FLEDERMAUS. Or, if you prefer, DEFLATOR-MAUS. (Very funny, writers.)

Last edited by waynomo; 04-16-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #518
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
The current champ, Alex Jacob, is a friend of my son. He knows him from poker. He at least was a professional poker player. I had no idea he was currently a currency trader. I'll have to ask my son about that.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2015/0...ardy-21238.htm
Loved his fro in the WSOP

His final jeopary from day 2 (i believe) he motioned the "all-in" pushing of his chips when it came to him, he had such a big lead that he just bet $0 and put a thank you shout out on the card to his friends and family

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #519
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
There was another funny moment if you knew what to look for...

Alex's user name on JBoard is omgwheelhouse. On the compound word category, there was a triple stumper whose answer was "wheelhouse". The look on his face as he heard that... priceless.

He is an excellent player. His background, currency trader & poker player (same thing?), have taught him a great betting strategy. Combined with his voluminous knowledge (literature, science, history, you name it) has created a ToC player.

Really enjoy watching him play.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #520
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Alex's user name on JBoard is omgwheelhouse. On the compound word category, there was a triple stumper whose answer was "wheelhouse". The look on his face as he heard that... priceless.
...and he was a JBoard regular under that user name for years before getting on the show (i.e., he didn't just recently sign up for the site and pick the name to "honor" that triple stumper).

Old 04-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #521
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Do you remember what day? I might try and find it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #522
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Do you remember what day? I might try and find it.
I'm pretty sure it was yesterday's (Wed) game.