TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #2611
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynv View Post
Hi Greg, Could you PM me the same 758250 image link as well please? My drive is failing and I am nervous to clone from it so I am going to try a bare upgrade.

Thank you!

-Michael
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #2612
ITGrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent. Use DvrBARS to restore the image.
Thanks ggieseke for your assistance. The Premier XL4 is back in operation! One quick question...will DvrBARS work with a Roamio DVR?

Thanks again!

Last edited by ITGrouch : 01-08-2015 at 02:38 PM.
ITGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #2613
emanonii

Can I get the image for a TCD748000 please? Thanks in advance!
emanonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #2614
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanonii View Post
Can I get the image for a TCD748000 please? Thanks in advance!
PM sent.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #2615
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGrouch View Post
Thanks ggieseke for your assistance. The Premier XL4 is back in operation! One quick question...will DvrBARS work with a Roamio DVR?

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it!

DvrBARS doesn't speak Roamio yet, and due to the 2TB limit of the Microsoft VHD file format it can't image anything larger than that. If you have a 500GB basic Roamio or a 1TB Plus drive you can use the Full backup option to capture a byte-for-byte image of the drive if that helps. If the drive has already been in use for very long the backup file will probably take that much disk space.

Note: If you try to do a full image of a drive over 2TB it will seem to work, but the resulting file will be crap. When I released it drives over 2TB and the entire Roamio line didn't exist. If work ever slows down I'll get back to new projects.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #2616
jackthejester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You need to use the modified version of JMFS in order to expand the image. The original version of JMFS does not expand images that are about 1.2TB or larger in size. Has to do with using a signed value for the sector count.

My ==removed, due to post count== post here will direct you to the modified JMFS.
BINGO!! - took me a bit to find the modified image and get it going - was a little thrown when it didnt come up to the Copy/Expand/Supersize - then getting it run the guide - but it was successful in expanding my original 3TB disk with the full image I'd dumped from my current drive.

Th guide with the commands was great - i just had to figure out how/where to jump in and pick it up, since I'd already copied my drive once (1.5 days!).

Thanks again to you guys - I'll find a good use for the leftover 5TB drive, I'll let the wife catch back up on the shows she hadn't watched and see if the new drive remedies the original tv-sticky-pixel issue. I have a fresh image thanks to Greg! THANKS! and can get back in business again if needed! Another successful Upgrade - woo hoo !

I think my record hours are up to 497 - I'll grab a screenshot tonight!

THANKS AGAIN!
jackthejester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #2617
emanonii

Quote:
PM sent.
Thanks! New drive is imaged, and tivo is rockin' again. Just some notes in case it helps anyone:

Done with laptop using USB-SATA connection, and external power for the new drive. DVRBars for the restore, and then used jmfs to expand and supersize the drive.

- first restore died with the error 0x00000002 WriteFile about 10 minutes into the restore. Powered down the drive, and reseated connections. Second restore worked with no issues.
- restore took a little longer than 8 hours
- Tivo software update took 1.5 hours (I was actually coming to ask how long it takes when it finished.
emanonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 AM   #2618
ITGrouch

Quote:
Glad to hear it!

DvrBARS doesn't speak Roamio yet, and due to the 2TB limit of the Microsoft VHD file format it can't image anything larger than that. If you have a 500GB basic Roamio or a 1TB Plus drive you can use the Full backup option to capture a byte-for-byte image of the drive if that helps. If the drive has already been in use for very long the backup file will probably take that much disk space.

Note: If you try to do a full image of a drive over 2TB it will seem to work, but the resulting file will be crap. When I released it drives over 2TB and the entire Roamio line didn't exist. If work ever slows down I'll get back to new projects.
I have a Roamio Plus and I used DvrBARS to do a full backup of the 1TB drive and restored it without issues. I just upgraded The Roamio Plus to a 3TB drive and I have a licensed copy of Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.5, which will do sector by sector backups and restore image of unrecognized file systems. I will give it a try with the 3TB drive, first trying with the Windows software and if that fails, booting with the Acronis recovery boot media and report on the success or failure. Having a backup image of the 3TB drive would be great so I don't have to go through the headache of dealing with Charter to unpair/repair the CableCard when the 3TB drive dies and have to replace it. Maybe sometime in the future, there will be an easy way to backup the CableCard pairing data on the Roamio series.

Last edited by ITGrouch : 01-12-2015 at 02:02 AM.
ITGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #2619
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGrouch View Post
I have a Roamio Plus and I used DvrBARS to do a full backup of the 1TB drive and restored it without issues. I just upgraded The Roamio Plus to a 3TB drive and I have a licensed copy of Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.5, which will do sector by sector backups and restore image of unrecognized file systems. I will give it a try with the 3TB drive, first trying with the Windows software and if that fails, booting with the Acronis recovery boot media and report on the success or failure. Having a backup image of the 3TB drive would be great so I don't have to go through the headache of dealing with Charter to unpair/repair the CableCard when the 3TB drive dies and have to replace it. Maybe sometime in the future, there will be an easy way to backup the CableCard pairing data on the Roamio series.
Are you sure a copy of the drive will not take out the pairing as any new drive has a new S/N, never tried it myself. If you do test the pairing and the new drive takes out the pairing you can't put the original drive back in and still have the cable card paired. (at least for Comcast in Hartford CT). Once the card get unpaired it will stay that way until you re-pair with Comcast itself.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #2620
Technogod

I have a TiVo Premiere that has been upgraded to 2TB. Can I use the modified JMFS CD to expand it to 3TB?
Technogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #2621
jmbach

Yes. You could go to 4TB as well. You will need to use TiVotools found on the iso first before using the modified JMFS to expand again. Read the DIY 4TB premiere thread for more details.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #2622
jimlau

keyboard won't work on boot

using jmfs on my windows 7 64 bit. I get the Linux boot screen and to the line it asked for copy, expand, etc...

unfortunately, my keyboard can't communicate. it's on, but even the cap lock button won't respond. does the boot disc not recognize a windows keyboard?
jimlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #2623
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlau View Post
using jmfs on my windows 7 64 bit. I get the Linux boot screen and to the line it asked for copy, expand, etc...

unfortunately, my keyboard can't communicate. it's on, but even the cap lock button won't respond. does the boot disc not recognize a windows keyboard?
It should.

Is the keyboard connected via PS/2 or the old full size DIN socket, or USB or wireless or both?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #2624
ggieseke

Quote:

Make sure the keyboard is plugged into a USB 2.0 port (one without the SS logo).
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #2625
jimlau

Quote:
Make sure the keyboard is plugged into a USB 2.0 port (one without the SS logo).
yeah, wireless usb keyboard worked. thanks.

during the process of copying there were 3 errors. can't check my TiVo yet, but can it still work with 3 errors?
jimlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #2626
ggieseke

Quote:
during the process of copying there were 3 errors. can't check my TiVo yet, but can it still work with 3 errors?
Depends on where the errors were. If a critical portion of the OS was damaged it might fail, but with only 3 errors the odds are in your favor. The only way to know for sure is to try it.