TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
brodie4416

Getting CableCard from small cable company

Hello

I have a new (small, local) cable company which is provided by my landlord. The cable they provide is ALL digital and unencrypted (on the back end, all they really do is stream dish network programming)...

Upon requesting a cablecard, anyone I spoke to over the phone did not know what I was talking about so I had to leave a message for a tech. They returned my call and told me that since their digital cable is unencrypted I do not need a cablecard and they would not provide one. They also (for some reason...) said IF I needed one to contact motorola since they are the manufacturer of the M-Card....... I'm getting the feeling these guys have absolutely no idea what they're talking about? Anyone else have a similar experience anywhere?

Aren't cable companies required by law to provide cable cards upon request? Someone I spoke to from TiVo suggested that my cable company was small enough that it would not be required by law to provide the cable card but neither of us could find any documentation supporting that. Has anyone else heard that (link please?)?

Thanks
brodie4416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
AdamNJ

If everything is unencrypted, do they even provide cable boxes at all? If there are no cableboxes and no encryption, you might be able to use a roamio basic in OTA (over the air - no CC) mode. First I would check to see if you can get a program guide at all by searching your zip code on http://www.zap2it.com/ If you see your company and the guide looks right then that means that tivo can provide you with a guide.

You could also try a complaint to the FCC if you want: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

I would think any company that is classified as cable needs to comply with the CC regulations and provide it on request.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
brodie4416

Well I asked that to the TiVo support person also, they said even the Roamio boxes need the cable cards to get guide data for digital programming. Have you found documentation suggesting otherwise?

I have also sent an inquiry to CableCARDEnf@fcc.gov to see what they have to say about this practice.

And I *think* I can see my cable provider at the link you provided except it displays the wrong city and says cable rather than digital... The programming I am receiving is all digital (4.1 through 65.1). And they do not provide cable boxes at all, their instructions say "Simply lug the cable into your TV, set your input to 'cable', run a channel scan and enjoy!"
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie4416 View Post
Well I asked that to the TiVo support person also, they said even the Roamio boxes need the cable cards to get guide data for digital programming. Have you found documentation suggesting otherwise?

I have also sent an inquiry to CableCARDEnf@fcc.gov to see what they have to say about this practice.

And I *think* I can see my cable provider at the link you provided except it displays the wrong city and says cable rather than digital... The programming I am receiving is all digital (4.1 through 65.1). And they do not provide cable boxes at all, their instructions say "Simply lug the cable into your TV, set your input to 'cable', run a channel scan and enjoy!"
This links rom the FCC may assist you in discussions with your Cable Co. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Also TiVo support is more than willing to set up a three way conference call with your Cable Co. to discuss CableCard issues.

Michael
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscott View Post
This links rom the FCC may assist you in discussions with your Cable Co. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Also TiVo support is more than willing to set up a three way conference call with your Cable Co. to discuss CableCard issues.

Michael
That is true except for small cable companies. They are exempt from the rules
This might be the case here.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post

If that is sadly the case the FCC might still be a good pace to go in event of continuing refusal.

Michael
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
brodie4416

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
That is basically what TiVo support said to me - are you able to find this documented on the FCC's website anywhere? I've been struggling to find that exception.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If they have less than 20k subscribers, they can get an exemption from the FCC that allows them to not provide CableCARDs. However, if they are using the proper equipment, they should be capable of pairing a card that you buy yourself. You would have to work with them to find out what brand (Motorola, Cisco, etc.) and then they would need to program that card's SN and other data into their headend. If they won't do this, then you are SOL.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
That is basically what TiVo support said to me - are you able to find this documented on the FCC's website anywhere? I've been struggling to find that exception.
Section 205(b)(2), which allows the Commission to “provide an exemption from the regulations [implementing Section 205(a)] for cable systems serving 20,000 or fewer subscribers.”

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7520936676
Slingbox M1

Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
brodie4416

Awesome information - thanks!

I actually have a cable card from my previous cable provider but I imagine they'll be wanting theirs back once I cancel my subscription with them... Definitely not opposed to purchasing my own............ Just want it to work!!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
AdamNJ

Quote:
i can't see how a CC is needed if you buy the basic roamio and use ota. the point of over the air is that you don't have cable. ota is all digital now. the plus and pro are CC only.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you plug cable into the TiVo and try to use it in OTA mode, it likely will not work if they are sending QAM instead of ATSC.
Slingbox M1

Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
unitron

Okay, I'm confused--If they aren't encrypting, why would you need a cable card?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #14
ajwees41

if it's a small company Tivo might not even have a channel lineup for it.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
if it's a small company Tivo might not even have a channel lineup for it.
TiVo will work the provider to get the information needed to Tribune Media Services. (data provider)

Just use this Form.

michael