TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.74 average.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #631
sheshechic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Well now I'm just annoyed. Replaced the splitter. Wifi has improved so my wireless ethernet adapters work on the mini for the most part. Unrelated or not, I won't complain. It didn't do a thing to fix moca on the Cisco or the separate moca adapter. Frustrated me and frustrated customer. Think my next step is to take the box to Comcast for a swap. That will be a pain since I'm not the customer even though I have all their info down to the last four of the Ss#. And I also found out Comcast never took the XFINITY boxes off their account too. That will be another battle because the tech didn't give me a receipt when he picked them up. I'm fighting my own battle for boxes I didn't have for over a year.
I don't have comcast but... my system is set like this:

coax: poe at main terminal in>5 way splitter > (room over garage) 3 way splitter - 1 to moca adapter & 1 to Tivo pro (not using as moca host couldn't get it to work with moca adapter need in LR), Moca adapter out > modem

Ethernet: modem>router> ethernet splitter> moca adapter You can simply take the splitter out of this route

The other adapter is in the living room with a coax in and ethernet out goes to a splitter.I have both a ethernet and coax going to the Mini. This is the only way I could make it work in my system And I tried Everything.

Your tivo in the laundry room should have coax and ethernet from the router connected since that model doesn't have a built in adapter.

If nothing works for you, including resetting your modem and turning off moca on it, then I think replacing the modem is the best thing you could do. Perhaps it is stuck with moca on which may be defective due to the update?
sheshechic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #632
dbpaddler

The setup is pretty basic. Splitter from the line in. One to the Roamio and one to the router, or the alternate moca adapter then to the router. Ethernet from the Roamio to the router. Ethernet from the Moca adapter to the router. After whatever got it to stop working, wireless wasn't so hot either. Tried my Belkin wireless HDTV adapters on the Minis and it couldn't pull a strong enough signal to use a tuner, but it could watch Hulu from time to time. Replaced the splitter and the adapter works for pulling a tuner about 98% since there is the occasional stutter or pause. Ethernet works fine to the one Mini.

I think the router is the problem and whatever happened two weeks ago just borked moca period. So I think switching it out is the only fix, I hope.

I could get ethernet to one more of the Mini's, but it's ethernet jack from the wall goes to this main board in the closet where all the wall jacks are fed into, but that board doesn't have any association to the router. Common sense tells me it has to ports I can plug in an ethernet cable to it from the router. I have two cables run from the laundry to the closet. All my other ethernet connections are direct cables from the laundry room to the device. Never dealt with one of those punch boards that run ethernet throughout the house. So if someone has that knowledge, I could solve one of the Mini problems and then just get a Netgear AC wireless adapter and swap out the Belkin letting the one Mini go over wireless.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #633
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Well now I'm just annoyed. Replaced the splitter. Wifi has improved so my wireless ethernet adapters work on the mini for the most part. Unrelated or not, I won't complain. It didn't do a thing to fix moca on the Cisco or the separate moca adapter. Frustrated me and frustrated customer. Think my next step is to take the box to Comcast for a swap. That will be a pain since I'm not the customer even though I have all their info down to the last four of the Ss#. And I also found out Comcast never took the XFINITY boxes off their account too. That will be another battle because the tech didn't give me a receipt when he picked them up. I'm fighting my own battle for boxes I didn't have for over a year.
I learned a long time ago to never return any equipment to a provdier without getting a receipt first. It can help avoid a lot of headaches.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:52 PM   #634
dbpaddler

Well I won't have to worry about comcast for myself any longer. Just went to FIOS. Can't wait to be done with them. Saved money monthly and got a $400 visa card.

That aside, my moca issue just has me beside myself. New splitter, nothing. New router, nothing. changed up the wiring, nothing. I don't know how moca works perfectly for three weeks and then nothing. Not to mention Internet support said the comcast service center had XB3's on hand and it turns out they don't. So that was a waste. Swapped it anyway to see if the router made a difference with the Moca adapter. Nope. The adapter still won't connect. Just blinks yellow. Tried the adapter inline from the splitter to the modem. Tried it inline from the splitter to the Roamio Basic. Connected via ethernet to the router both times. Nada. I just give up. I'm tempted to just get the Plus and sell the basic and call it a day. Or try a better wireless range extender. I have a cheap Belkin HDTV Adapter and that does work with dropouts because I currently have the Sonos setup through the wireless. I wonder if I get a better adapter and have the Sonos setup through the Sonos mesh network if that would do it. Or try a powerline adapter. Amazon can get them to me quick.

I could get the one Mini hooked up via ethernet, but my tech skills stop at the big ethernet board that connects all the outlets in the condo. It has two female connections on it and one says security and the other says test. I have cat6 run from the closet it's in to where the router is, but I don't know what would plug in where. I've done AV installs for years. Set up three places via moca. This is just driving me crazy.

And the kicker....Service center lady says all of their routers carry internet over the coax. So that took some explaining. Then she says her super smart tech that walked in said the same and then says that the moca on the XB3 is strictly for their X1 setup. I'm like, sorry pal, but many others have it working with their tivo's and I had it working for three weeks. It's a standard. Unless you have some firmware setting that can limit what can access it, I don't see how you can say that. Can't wait to turn in my equipment, on Christmas Eve no less. Switched my mom away from them also. Their retentions department, now called "Customer Solutions" department was just apathetic about trying to help with a promo. She finally said I can create a ticket with your info and see what they say. I said, well you have till the 24th when Verizon comes to install. We'll see if the grass is greener. It sure as hell can't be worse.

Last edited by dbpaddler : Today at 09:59 PM.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote