TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
sharkster

First time transfering video from Amazon to Premiere

I'm pretty new to having my Tivos on my wireless network, as I just replaced old Series 2 boxes with Premiere boxes.

Today I got an HD movie from amazon and, once I figured how to set that all up, that went just fine. Meanwhile, three hours later it is still transferring, having only completed about an hour and 20 minutes of the movie.

Is it normal to take that long to transfer an HD video to my Premiere? If not, does that speak poorly to my wireless network? I don't have other network problems at all. I don't have speed problems and when I'm streaming from one Tivo to the other it goes seamlessly.

TIA for any advice.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
tomm1079

how does netflix or hulu work on your tivo?

How fast is your internet? do you have a lower package by any chance?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Check your wireless connection. Even with the old TiVo wireless g adapters it will download a 2hour HD movie in less than 30 minutes when you have proper signal strength and an unsaturated Access Point. This is assuming your Internet connection is fast enough for the 15mb/s to 30mb/s Amazon download speeds.

Of course you need the wired connection or a wireless N connnection to see the fastest speeds.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
how does netflix or hulu work on your tivo?

How fast is your internet? do you have a lower package by any chance?
I've not tried netflix or hulu yet.

My internet is pretty fast, actually. I have one of the higher speed DSL and my wireless has been great with my laptops around the house.

It finally finished loading last night, but it took about 3 times as long as the length of the movie. That did seem odd.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Check your wireless connection. Even with the old TiVo wireless g adapters it will download a 2hour HD movie in less than 30 minutes when you have proper signal strength and an unsaturated Access Point. This is assuming your Internet connection is fast enough for the 15mb/s to 30mb/s Amazon download speeds.

Of course you need the wired connection or a wireless N connnection to see the fastest speeds.
I have the Tivo wireless N adapters with a great internet speed, so who knows I guess! At least now I know how long it takes so I will plan further ahead if I do that again.

Thanks to you both for your responses!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
bsmith1051

My (limited) experience has been that Amazon sends video downloads at less-than-real-time speed. I had assumed that their download service was intended for people with connections that were too slow to handle streaming, hence they allotted less bandwidth?
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
My (limited) experience has been that Amazon sends video downloads at less-than-real-time speed. I had assumed that their download service was intended for people with connections that were too slow to handle streaming, hence they allotted less bandwidth?
That makes sense. I'm pretty sure my download/upload speeds are much faster than this, so it's probably on their end.

Well, now that I think about it - when I first got these Premieres last month I tried to transfer an HD show from one to the other and it took almost full-time (1 to 1) so maybe part of it is on my end. That, however, is STILL much faster than this amazon movie transferred. Since then, and of course since the 20.2 update, I just do streaming between Tivos and that works super well.

Next time I want to get an HD movie from amazon I'll just plan a day ahead.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That seems like a long time for an Amazon download.
Check your wireless network. Are there other wireless networks around you that could possibly be interfering with yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
My download speeds have always been faster than real time from Amazon(well at least everytime I've initiated an HD download and started watching right away It's never stopped playing and always finished downloading well before I finished watching the program). And when I've checked the DVR diagnostics download history, I've seen speeds as fast as 30mb/s.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote