TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
sieglinde

Question Network Adapters N vs G

I am purchasing a Tivo Premier XL4, the details on it say that both the N and G adapters are compatible. I have an unused G Adapter right now, is there any reason to buy the newer N adapter?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
mrizzo80

If you want to be able to stream TiVo-to-TiVo having Wireless N may be necessary. I tried to stream HD shows using the TiVo Wireless G adapter and it could only handle about 95% of the necessary bandwidth; so it was useless. Probably would be OK for transferring, but I have TWC so streaming is the only option for most content.

I don't own the TiVo-branded N device. I bought some used WNDR3300 Wireless N routers and use them in bridge mode. No throughput issues streaming HD content.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
sieglinde

Yeah, I only will have Tivo. I never had that problem with G to G transfers when I had two Tivos.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
jcthorne

I would not suggest either of the wireless adaptors. Rather purchase a moca adaptor to go near your router and put the ethernet on your coax cables. The XL4 already has moca built in. Faster, more reliable and VERY easy to set up.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
scole250

If you only have one Tivo, already have a G adapter and don't have to or want to invest any more money, then I'd just use the G adapter. But...if you plan to stream netflix, hulu or some other on-demand service, the G might be problem if you don't have great signal strength or have multiple active wireless devices. If you get another Tivo, not sure G will stream HD very reliably. If you decide to do something else, +1 on the MoCA.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Given what you already have, just stay with the G until you find it inadequate.