TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
lvsaint

R10 on HD setup?? Transponder problem

Just switched out our old SD Tivo R10 boxes for new TivoHD units and hd dish install. The new boxes are fine, couldn't be happier.

The third receiver had always been an old SD receiver (with no dvr function). It worked fine after the HD changeover (naturally as an SD receiver).

Tonight I decided to switch out this box and put back into operation one of our old R10 boxes. CAlled DTV, gave them the card number etc, but during setup, it fails to acknowledge 1 out of the three transponders. We tried different configurations of dish type, lines in, but it does not work. No one at DTV can help.

Am I wasting my time? Will the R10 just not work on an HD dish setup?? Am I missing some sort of splitter/multiswitch/gizmo that was present in the old SD dish setup, that is now not there?

Finally.........should I even bother with the R10, with those restarts I was experiencing a month ago, or was this issue fixed?

EDIT - from another forum it appears the R10 is not compatible since I am now using SWIM splitters. It mentions using a 'legacy port' but I am lost.

Last edited by lvsaint : 12-03-2012 at 10:01 PM.
lvsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

What model number is the SD Receiver that's working?

Sounds like you may now have a Single Wire Multiswitch dish. That dish has only one coax cable feeding a SWM Splitter and Power Inserter somewhere in your system. Your old SD Tivos are not compatible with SWM. If you had lots of new HD DVRs/Receivers, you might have gotten a SWM8 switch instead of dish with an integrated SWM LNB. That dish would have four coax cables connected instead of just one, with those four cables feeding a SWM8 or SWM16 switch. Those switches do provide "Legacy OUT" connections that can be used with your old SD Tivos.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
lvsaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
What model number is the SD Receiver that's working?
It is a D12-100

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Sounds like you may now have a Single Wire Multiswitch dish. That dish has only one coax cable feeding a SWM Splitter and Power Inserter somewhere in your system. Your old SD Tivos are not compatible with SWM. If you had lots of new HD DVRs/Receivers, you might have gotten a SWM8 switch instead of dish with an integrated SWM LNB. That dish would have four coax cables connected instead of just one, with those four cables feeding a SWM8 or SWM16 switch. Those switches do provide "Legacy OUT" connections that can be used with your old SD Tivos.
MAkes sense. Of the two possible SWM splitters/switches I found, there were no expansion 'legacy' outlets on them. Not sure I want to mess about with them. I'll put back the old receiver that I know works.

Thanks!
lvsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Right. The D12 is the only SD Receiver that's SWM compatible. And it sounds like you have a SWM LNB, so there are no legacy outputs for your old Tivos.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote