TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
MikeLobby

Series 2 540xxx sound chirping

Does anybody remember the specifics of the S2 sound problems (kazoo?) from days of yore? My searching fails today. Basically...

I got a 540040 S2 second hand (now lifetime). It had issues with weird static/chirps in the sound recording or output. At the time it was suggested that there were some S2s with a defective chip causing the problem. The work around suggested was to make the Tivo hotter on the inside. I accomplished this by putting duct tape over half of the fan grate. So for the past three years my Tivo is chirp free but running at 48c according to the temp sensor. This can't be good for the HD or power supply caps. I would like to get another 540xxx tivo and swap boards (yes I know I will have to swap the crypto chip also). So that brings me to my question:

Does anyone remember if the chirping problem on 540xxx S2s was widespread? Is there any known serial number or production date ranges to avoid when shopping for a donor unit?

Last edited by MikeLobby : 06-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.
MikeLobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLobby View Post
Does anybody remember the specifics of the S2 sound problems (kazoo?) from days of yore? My searching fails today. Basically...

I got a 540040 S2 second hand (now lifetime). It had issues with weird static/chirps in the sound recording or output. At the time it was suggested that there were some S2s with a defective chip causing the problem. The work around suggested was to make the Tivo hotter on the inside. I accomplished this by putting duct tape over half of the fan grate. So for the past three years my Tivo is chirp free but running at 48c according to the temp sensor. This can't be good for the HD or power supply caps. I would like to get another 540xxx tivo and swap boards (yes I know I will have to swap the crypto chip also). So that brings me to my question:

Does anyone remember if the chirping problem on 540xxx S2s was widespread? Is there any known serial number or production date ranges to avoid when shopping for a donor unit?
Hadn't heard of the chirping sound before, and I'd love to know how the heat fixes it, but you really should take a look at the capacitors on the power supply. The 540 is one of the ones to have problems with them even if not deliberately overheated.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
royfernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLobby View Post

I've heard about the static and chirping sounds, but they were fixed with the firmware update. Not too sure about the heating and the capacitor issue. If it was a heating issue, would some third party heat sink resolve it?
royfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
MikeLobby

I didn't think it was possible to update the firmware remotely? In any case, I guess I should pull the tape of and see if the chirping returns.
MikeLobby is offline   Reply With Quote