TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
chazas

S3 - noisy hard drive

I have a lifetime S3 that has an upgraded 1TB drive that I bought about 6 months ago, formatted from an eBay seller.

I just moved the unit from our home gym to the master bedroom and it gets REALLY noisy within a few hours of every re-boot. Not grinding, more like clunking - so I expect it's head seek noise. It's far too noisy to sleep in the same room with it.

The seller I bought the drive from doesn't respond to emails and doesn't seem to sell drives any more. Grrrr.

Anyway, do I have any alternatives other than to replace this drive AGAIN? This would be the third drive replacement on this unit (first was a $149 "out of warranty repair" directly with TiVo) - lifetime is starting to get pretty expensive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by chazas : 12-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Teeps

There may be noise reduction utilities offered by the drive manufacturer.

Options as I see it, in order of expense:
Try noise reduction utility, if offered by drive manufacturer.
Replace the drive with a quieter model.
Sell the S3 (with existing or the original drive), then get a Premier.

Who did you get the upgrade drive from?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
chazas

An ebay seller caled uoph, who used to sell drives but now has only TiVos listed.

If I recall correctly it's a Western Digital drive, but I'll have to pop the lid when I get home to see.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
chazas

Weird. I unplugged it a couple of nights in a row and restarted during the daytime and evening. It seems to have settled down.

Hopefully it was just doing a big data index (plugged into Ethernet after a long time only being connected by phone) or defragging the hard drive.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
I have a lifetime S3 that has an upgraded 1TB drive that I bought about 6 months ago, formatted from an eBay seller.

I just moved the unit from our home gym to the master bedroom and it gets REALLY noisy within a few hours of every re-boot. Not grinding, more like clunking - so I expect it's head seek noise. It's far too noisy to sleep in the same room with it.

The seller I bought the drive from doesn't respond to emails and doesn't seem to sell drives any more. Grrrr.

Anyway, do I have any alternatives other than to replace this drive AGAIN? This would be the third drive replacement on this unit (first was a $149 "out of warranty repair" directly with TiVo) - lifetime is starting to get pretty expensive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Grab a WD20EURS 2TB drive from newegg or Amazon right now while they're temporarily only $100.

Use jmfs to copy the 1TB to it and expand.

Or is it an original S3 and not an HD or HD XL?

Grab the 2TB drive anyway and we'll work something out.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
chazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Grab a WD20EURS 2TB drive from newegg or Amazon right now while they're temporarily only $100.

Use jmfs to copy the 1TB to it and expand.

Or is it an original S3 and not an HD or HD XL?

Grab the 2TB drive anyway and we'll work something out.
I thought about that but for the moment it's ok. It's on original S3. I only have a laptop so I gather I couldn't run WDIDLE, which is necessary, correct? Very hard to figure this stuff out.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
I thought about that but for the moment it's ok. It's on original S3. I only have a laptop so I gather I couldn't run WDIDLE, which is necessary, correct? Very hard to figure this stuff out.
Some people are reporting that the EURS doesn't need Intellipark disabled.

I've got another one on the way, and should be able to report difinitively in a day or two.

Wouldn't hurt to grab the drive now before the price goes back up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Some people are reporting that the EURS doesn't need Intellipark disabled.
That was the case on the one that I installed in my son's HD.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
chazas

The noise came back. It passed all its Kickstart 54 tests with flying colors, but started grinding again the minute it rebooted afterwards. I think I'll have to replace it.

On a related note, everyone avoid ebay seller uoph. No response to multiple messages.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Thos19

I echo the sentiment by chazas about the ebay seller "uoph" (a.k.a Elex Systems). Buyer beware. I purchased a 2TB WD upgrade drive from him for my S3 OLED. It was supposed to be a brand new drive with a 3 year warranty. When the drive started to fail 6 months later, I tried to contact him, and he has ignored me as well. I researched the drive through WD and found out it was not a new drive (in fact it was 2 years old), and it was an OEM pull most likely from a PC. Since it was an OEM, there was NO warranty.

He is still an active seller with 25+ active auctions currently. eBay hasn't been any help, unfortunately. I keep trying though...

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote