TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
HockeyFan

Delete or Archive after watching?

I have been archiving almost all movies and every tv episodes
Some movies I record to watch later and end up saving to pc.

I have over 14 TB's of recordings and now considering just deleting some shows I like after watching it instead of just saving everything.

I wanted some opinions of others whether they stopped or cut back on archiving
tv episodes of shows they like.

kmttg works great and hard drives are not that expensive anymore.
Reconsidering time and effort for saving and documenting what is on each hard drive.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Teeps

I watch, at my leisure, then delete, all programs.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

I have some shows that I've held onto from several years ago and haven't watched or even thought about watching them. I have enough current programming to watch that I doubt I'll ever go back and watch the old stuff again.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I have some shows that I've held onto from several years ago and haven't watched or even thought about watching them. I have enough current programming to watch that I doubt I'll ever go back and watch the old stuff again.

Thanks for the response. This was the basic reasoning that had me questioning saving everything. There are many movies I haven't even watched yet. Used to have all premium channels when starting new service and was recording stuff around the clock.

Like sons of anarchy and boardwalk empire but not sure if I'll ever go back and watch all shows over again . I've watched all seasons of lost 5 times but have that on blu ray also.

You pay for cable it makes you wanna keep the stuff you pay for.

I think it's great that we can save shows and don't mean to discourage anyone from not saving their shows.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Not everyone has the option of archiving programs because some cable companies have set the copy protection flag on most or all channels. Personally, there are very few things I'd ever like to keep and watch again. One exception is the old B&W Twilight Zone and a couple of classic movies. Then again, if the Rocky and Bullwinkle show ever comes back on one of my channels I'm all in.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If I like a show enough that I think I would like to watch it again in the future, I will archive it permanently on DVD.

Other shows I "archive" to the PC only because my Tivo can't hold it all, but once I finally watch them they are deleted.
I can't imagine having enough time to watch a particular show more than once (e.g. LOST was excellent, but I have no desire to go back and watch it again).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
duanew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I watch, at my leisure, then delete, all programs.
I do the same. I see no reason to keep them usually.
duanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

I usually delete after watching.

Glad to see there is someone out there that has more stuff than me archived. I am certainly over 4 TBs. I try and keep it reasonable. When I start running out of room these days I go through and delete what is at the bottom of the watch list. (I haven't watched this in 3 years, I am never going to get to it.)

Most stuff you can find online if you ever want to watch again.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
heberman

I don't archive anything. I'll watch it once and delete it. I figure that Amazon Prime Instant Video and Netflix does the archiving for me.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

I usually delete unless it is something the the kids would not appreciate yet (but will), is something I know family/friends may want to see again in the future, or is something the kids will cycle through devices to watch in the car.

Otherwise, I'll dump it. Too much on to watch already, and it provides too many temptations to just plop down to run through content instead of doing other fun stuff.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have some very old episodes of shows I haven't watched yet, but as soon as I watch something I delete it. I have no reason to keep anything around after watching it. I use to do that with a few shows and realized I never actually watched them a second time and it was a waste of time and disc space so I stopped.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
waynomo
My One Time

FYI - When cleaning out my basement about 6 months ago I trashed 100's VHS and Beta tapes of archived TV shows, movies, and other stuff. Eventually your HDs will be obsolete if not broken.

Do you back your 14 TBs up? If so, how?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Eventually everything will be available in the cloud via services like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu and there will be no need to archive anything. Paying a small monthly fee to access them this way will be a lot cheaper then capturing, editing and maintaining an archive yourself.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote