TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #61
tvmaster2

I must be watching a different show. It's a blast! I have a 1/2 Swedish family down the street, who rarely watch TV, and they like it a lot.

The cameos have been fun, the locations refreshing (why can't American sitcoms shoot the show where the narrative is set in?), and the actors top-notch. Lena Olin? Great. And subtitles? I don't see anyone complaining about 'The Bridge'. Maybe if there were more guns, blood and violence, then subtitles would be ok?
I wish we got even more shows from Canada, England, Sweden, etc., instead of what we're continually fed in this staid, predictable sitcom-wasteland.

And the ABBA episode, while obvious and predictable....that outfit...bwahahaha.
I'd sooo take this over The Millers, Mom, Two Broke Girls and whatever other, moronic, fart-joke, grade four English trash Hollywood force-feeds us every freakin' year.

Now, I've got some subtitled episodes of 'Wallander' to catch up on.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #62
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
.....Interesting thing about the Swedish version is that they dropped one S Bomb and two F Bombs in the episode.
Every country in the western world but the US regularly has swearing in television shows. It's how adults (and some children) talk. I'm amazed that we have dropped so far behind the times when compared to the rest of the world. 'Hey mom, Beaver's home!'
It's like like we're still back there. Sure, PAY television is laced with swearing, but in other lands, swearing is normal on free, OTA TV.
Maybe one day....
Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #63
ytsemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Every country in the western world but the US regularly has swearing...but in other lands, swearing is normal on free, OTA TV.
Maybe one day....
Trying to follow your point here, either with respect to this thread in or in general.

Is your argument that "swearing" makes for better television?
ytsemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #64
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsemike View Post
Trying to follow your point here, either with respect to this thread in or in general.

It can certainly result in more realistic dialogue...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #65
Bob Coxner

Quote:

It did for Deadwood. :-)
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #66
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I always say that any good writer can write compelling TV without any type of restrictions. It takes a very talented writer to write something compelling knowing they can't throw in a million F-Bombs and nudity.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #67
ej42137

So you want to restrict the amount of compelling TV available? Is that because you have something better to do with your time?
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #68
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
It can certainly result in more realistic dialogue...
Precisely. And swearing shouldn't be associated with an intellectual level, group, etc. I bet some doozies let loose in congress. Welcome To Sweden is an adult show for adults. It would be great if adults didn't have to pay for premium channels to watch shows which reflect their mannerisms, which occasionally, include some colorful metaphors.
And yes, the 'odd' swear word makes better adult programs.
If kids watched five minutes of this show they'd be bored stiff. Good. Let us have our shows too.
Maybe next season they should do what they do with The Bridge: run it at 1:00am, and we can DVR it, uncut
Old 09-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #69
tvmaster2

Quote:

At times, yes. And it makes for adult television. We deserve shows which reflect us, and us alone. And they deserve to be on free television. Sticks and stones, right?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #70
mattack

Quote:
Every country in the western world but the US regularly has swearing in television shows. It's how adults (and some children) talk. I'm amazed that we have dropped so far behind the times when compared to the rest of the world. 'Hey mom, Beaver's home!'
It's like like we're still back there. Sure, PAY television is laced with swearing, but in other lands, swearing is normal on free, OTA TV.
Maybe one day....
I suspect we're not very far from that. The 's' word is now common on "basic cable" shows (which are not covered by the FCC, but typically follow _approximately_ the same conventions as OTA TV). OTA stations still use a bunch of words that they didn't just a few years ago, like d-bag and calling someone a 'd' etc..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #71
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Maybe next season they should do what they do with The Bridge: run it at 1:00am, and we can DVR it, uncut
The Bridge in Houston (FX via Comcast) airs at 9pm. But I was in Colorado recently, and I noticed it ran late at night, far later than the time zone diff. Not sure if it was 1am, but very late. What's the deal?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote