Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #331
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I think if you prefer 6TB, wait it out. There's some momentum going now.
If you prefer 4TB, no point in waiting.
Are we talking a month, 6 months, just curious.

Thanks!

S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img

Last edited by philhu; 03-06-2015 at 10:15 AM..
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #332
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydottee View Post
The WDC 6TB, that I tried to modify following the instructions, showed 4TB of usable space Tivo. But I cannot record anything on it. Tivo does not indicate why it does not record.
I think you're better off buying a 4TB drive that everyone else buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Are we talking a month, 6 months, just curious.
I was waiting to hear back if a new method was going to work, and it doesn't seem to, so I'm going back to the old way. Gonna need to figure out how long to test it. Should be less than a month.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #333
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I was waiting to hear back if a new method was going to work, and it doesn't seem to, so I'm going back to the old way. Gonna need to figure out how long to test it. Should be less than a month.
Thank you very much Telemark for all your hard work. Sorry the new way didn't work out. That's a bummer.

gespears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #334
HoosontheTeevo

Hello- New Tivo Roamio Plus owner here. Thanks for the help.

I have connected a DVR expander (that I used with my verizon dvr) to my Roamio plus - so I guess I have 2TB of storage. I am loving the 6 tuners and am rapidly filling up the storage space.

I would like to change the stock Roamio Plus 1TB and upgrade to a 4TB as instructed in this thread by Telemark in the first post. (or go to 6TB if that solution comes out in the near future).

What is the best way to harvest all the recordings that I want to save - to then copy them back onto the new 4TB drive when it goes in - KMTTG or Tivo Desktop (i have the old version)?

Is there any way to remove the hard drive and the external expander and do a direct copy/clone to the new drive that might be faster? The movies I've copied to my desktop pc over the ethernet via kmttg seem slow.

I assume the dvr expander external drive is sharing the recordings so there is no way to separately copy over the contents of it or of the internal drive - their intermixed?

Is there any way to first 'empty' the dvr expander - so I'm just dealing with the internal drive to remove and copy the contents of.

Thanks for any thoughts.

HoosontheTeevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #335
telemark

for HoosontheTeevo: I'm not working on migration any time soon, but there could be other people who are.

TS transfers tend to be faster than PS transfers. That might be one thing to check if you think it's running too slow.

The only other thing I can think of besides using transfers is, combining the internal+external onto a new internal drive. Is that 1TB+1TB=2TB ?

If you're lucky you can reuse the expander for 3TB total. I'm not aware of anyone trying it, so it's 50/50 chance that it would even work that way. Seems like a lot of work for just 1TB more, in case you have to migrate again later.

I'll let others chime in, lots of people play with the things you're asking about more than I do.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #336
HoosontheTeevo

thanks. and sorry but TS and PS transfers? - not sure what that stands for? (probably something obvious).

however I accomplish the show transfer - I would then like to use the dvr expander along with the new internal 4TB hard drive that I upgrade according to this thread and your instructions. Is there any need to wipe/reformat the dvr expander before adding it to the 4TB disk when I get that installed?

though in reading other posts and thinking about it - does adding the 1TB expander to the new 4TB internal just increase the chances for problems down the road - with the shared recordings and all.

thanks again.

Last edited by HoosontheTeevo; 03-11-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 AM   #337
telemark

TS is TransportStream
PS is ProgramStream
There should be an option in KMTTG somewhere for one or the other. TS should be faster and compatible if you're just loading it back into a Tivo.

A wipe of the first 64 sectors of an expander whenever re-purposing would be prudent, but is probably overly cautious.

I guess one way to put it, if you can do without the expander, do without it. If can't, then the risk might be worth it. Only you can decide how valuable preserving your recordings is, vs the convenience of having 1TB more of recordings.

You could also leave the expander on the shelf until you fill up completely whichever new internal drive you end up getting.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #338
HoosontheTeevo

Thanks for your time/thoughts Telemark. I think I'm going to try to 'get off of the expander'. i don't think i'm getting all of it's space anyway. i hope to move up to the 4TB internal. I'll let you know.