TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #31
innocentfreak

Yeah it is definitely a Comcast or apartment issue if the old box doesn't work.

The first thing I would have checked is can I tune clearqam channels without the CableCARD on the same line the cable box works on. If not it is definitely some sort of signal issue. Even if they were analog the TiVo HD should be able to tune them since the XL4 wouldn't. He said it saw 540 channels but didn't say if any of them worked.

I would have also checked zap2it.com to make sure the channel listing I chose matches my location and the channel numbers I see on the cable box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #32
Abextra

Often times a bad motherboard is the issue

Motherboards can be unstable or out right fail in some functions. The challange is to get techsupport to send you another unit. I was lucky in that I had more that one TiVo operating in my house. So a reloction test confirmed the unit was beyond figuring out. Get a freind or family member to loan you a unit and see if its the unit or the location. I spent 4 months of trouble shooting to figure this out.
Abextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Yeah it is definitely a Comcast or apartment issue if the old box doesn't work.

The first thing I would have checked is can I tune clearqam channels without the CableCARD on the same line the cable box works on. If not it is definitely some sort of signal issue. Even if they were analog the TiVo HD should be able to tune them since the XL4 wouldn't. He said it saw 540 channels but didn't say if any of them worked.

I would have also checked zap2it.com to make sure the channel listing I chose matches my location and the channel numbers I see on the cable box.
Comcast has gone all-digital in our area.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to bump the thread, since the OP has lost patience and bailed out. He seemed more interested in venting than actually troubleshooting. Which is understandable, I guess, after going though a lot of hassle with Comcast, but still. If you can only be bothered to half-answer a question, why waste the bandwidth?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #34
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=448230

has a very good guide for installing and troubleshooting the S3 and S4 and cable cards.

Not sure who you called to pair the cablecard, but you should use this number 1-877-405-2298 the Comcast Cable Card Hotline.

Another good web page is: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...w/cable%20card
Did you read the entire thread prior to posting this?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #35
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did you read the entire thread prior to posting this?
I presented the info on how to solve the problem if he ever wants to try again.

I've only had Tivo's since 2008 so I will presume from now on that I'm not qualified to respond on the TCF.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #36
lpwcomp

Quote:
I presented the info on how to solve the problem if he ever wants to try again..

Quote:
I've only had Tivo's since 2008 so I will presume from now on that I'm not qualified to respond on the TCF.
If you think that you actually presented "the info on how to solve the problem" then you are correct, you aren't qualified since you obviously don't understand the problem. It is neither an installation nor a pairing problem.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #37
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Comcast has gone all-digital in our area.
Here also. The reason I suggested he do the scan on the Series 3 was that, not having an XL4, I wasn't sure that the option was available. I guess I should have told him to try selecting one of the clear QAM locals after the scan when I initially suggested it rather than after he posted the results of the scan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I'm not sure if it's worth it to bump the thread, since the OP has lost patience and bailed out. He seemed more interested in venting than actually troubleshooting. Which is understandable, I guess, after going though a lot of hassle with Comcast, but still. If you can only be bothered to half-answer a question, why waste the bandwidth?
If he truly just wanted to vent, he should have done so on the Comcast forum, since it is their problem. Doing so here is semi-trollish behavior.