TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
swarto112

Moving - going from FIOS to Time Warner in Milwaukee burbs

Moving to Milwaukee burbs, had a choice of U-verse and Time Warner..looks like TWC ony one that supports TiVo. Any pointers? Running XL4 off Fios MOCA and an HD XL off wifi G. Does TWC do moca? Ive poked thru the forums and didnt see anything conclusive. So much easier and faster using Moca.

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarto112 View Post
Moving to Milwaukee burbs, had a choice of U-verse and Time Warner..looks like TWC ony one that supports TiVo. Any pointers? Running XL4 off Fios MOCA and an HD XL off wifi G. Does TWC do moca? Ive poked thru the forums and didnt see anything conclusive. So much easier and faster using Moca.
The HD XL doesn't do MoCA. You will have to have a MoCA bridge. The CATV company has nothing to do with MoCA, although Verizon does support MoCA directly from their ONTs. TWC does not.

MoCA is derfinitely not faster than wired Gigabit Ethernet, and it really is not any easier. It also is subject to a great deal more issues than wired Ethernet, and has far more prevalent limitations.

Say goodbye to your ability to transfer videos from the TiVo to an external PC, or to your HD XL, except for the locals.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
mrschimpf

You're also going to need a Tuning Adapter, and one that's very finicky (Cisco box). Definitely check out the Milwaukee HDTV Forums to see more of what you'll have to deal with when it comes to Time Warner. As someone who has Charter just outside TWC's Milwaukee service area...Charter is way preferable to Time Warner, but TWC pretty well has the market sealed up.
mrschimpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarto112 View Post
Time Warner, screwing Torrance (I mean serving), recently notified me that they will begin charging $4 a month for the privilege of using "their" cable modem.
However, you can purchase a cable modem.
They have a list of approved modems, all Motorola branded.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...our-modem.html

Which brings me to thank Iroher for his comment (review) of MOCA not being superior to cat5/6 wiring for performance.
I was considering a cable modem with built in WiFi and MoCA; but was not approved.
This comment has settled my decision to purchase the Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard® Wireless Cable Modem Gateway, as it is approved for T/W's fastest internet connection and has "N" standard WiFi built in.

Good luck with your Time Warner experience...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
swarto112

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The HD XL doesn't do MoCA. You will have to have a MoCA bridge. The CATV company has nothing to do with MoCA, although Verizon does support MoCA directly from their ONTs. TWC does not.

MoCA is derfinitely not faster than wired Gigabit Ethernet, and it really is not any easier. It also is subject to a great deal more issues than wired Ethernet, and has far more prevalent limitations.

Say goodbye to your ability to transfer videos from the TiVo to an external PC, or to your HD XL, except for the locals.
As an IT and network person, i get the tech differences. I was just wondering if TWC had done it.

moca's been great for me. as for the gig E vs moca argument..kinda like saying u like the Ferrari better than the Lambo cuz it gets better mpg

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
herbman

I posted a thread about this in coffee house. Fios to Milwaukee twc. Search for it.

Also I have twc 50 and that modem. It is kind of junky. Good luck.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
I posted a thread about this in coffee house. Fios to Milwaukee twc. Search for it.

Also I have twc 50 and that modem. It is kind of junky. Good luck.
You have the 6580 modem?

If so, how is it "junky"?

Compared to what other modem?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
herbman

The wireless portion craps out frequently requiring reboots.

In bridge mode it sometimes restarts in non bridge mode, giving full external IPs out to machines on my LAN. It seems like it is unreliable and I am contemplating asking for a non-all in one device.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually miss my actiontec fios router.

The service is ok, but I was spoiled from what I had.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote