TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

DVD to Tivo

So, I would prefer to watch episodic TV (from DVDs) on my Premiere.

I have anyDVD, which can rip the episodes off of the DVD. And I know you're supposed convert that to MPEG2, but not sure how to integrate titles and sound.

Not trying to steal anything, just watch on my Tivo as opposed to watching on a DVD player.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
So, I would prefer to watch episodic TV (from DVDs) on my Premiere.

I have anyDVD, which can rip the episodes off of the DVD. And I know you're supposed convert that to MPEG2, but not sure how to integrate titles and sound.

Not trying to steal anything, just watch on my Tivo as opposed to watching on a DVD player.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this?
I am not sure about the ripping process, but you can use pytivo to push files to your TiVo.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Whether or not you're trying to steal anything, this "place shifting" is not legal in the US, as recently affirmed by the Library of Congress. However, MPEG2 includes sound so you should be able to use the TiVo feature to copy MPEG2 videos to your standalone (not DirecTV) TiVo. You need TiVo Desktop Plus (not the free version) to do this. There may be other ways I am not familiar with.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
lrhorer

No need to pay for that piece of junk.

I rip the raw DVD format to a directory on my server using dvd_decryptor. Each DVD gets its own directory with a VIDEO_TS subdirectory that contains all the video and control files. I have the DVD Plugin loaded into pyTivo, and I usually use vidmgr to push the content to the TiVos. All of that is very quick and easy. Gathering together the cover art and creating and editing the metafiles take a bit more time and trouble, but I feel it is worth it.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

I use handbrake to create files for use with my tivo and xoom.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you have AnyDVD, then you can rip the DVD your hard drive (right click on the AnyDVD icon).
Once you do that, open the video TS folder and look at the file sizes.

If there are 4 episodes on the DVD, you should be able to tell which files are the episodes. They will be the largest files in the folder and they will all be the same approximate size. You should be able to open them in WMP as is, so you can see which episode is which.

Technically, all you have to do is isolate each episode (move them to your My Tivo Recordings folder (if you use Tivo Desktop)), and change the extention from .vob to .mpg. and the Tivo will accept it. You will get a video format notice screen on the Tivo, but you can ignore it.
It might help if you rename the file so you know what to look for on the Tivo.

Edit: On some DVDs, the episodes may span across two files. That makes things a little more complicated. If that is the case, then you will need other software that will join the files.

Personally, I use VideoReDo TV Suite and open the DVD directly. Much easier.

Edit #2: Example of a DVD Video TS folder with the episode files highlighted:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVD file structure.jpg (56.7 KB, 72 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-30-2012 at 05:00 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No need to pay for that piece of junk.

I rip the raw DVD format to a directory on my server using dvd_decryptor. Each DVD gets its own directory with a VIDEO_TS subdirectory that contains all the video and control files. I have the DVD Plugin loaded into pyTivo, and I usually use vidmgr to push the content to the TiVos. All of that is very quick and easy. Gathering together the cover art and creating and editing the metafiles take a bit more time and trouble, but I feel it is worth it.
I use DVD Decrypter under IFO mode and can put all my DVDs into a single folder, even the ones with multiple episodes into their own .vob file. Plus, I don't need to join any files.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Whether or not you're trying to steal anything, this "place shifting" is not legal in the US, as recently affirmed by the Library of Congress.
Minor correction.
It's not the "place shifting" that is illegal.
It's the circumvention of the DVD's copy protection that is illegal.

Having said that,
the OP shouldn't need to worry unless she thinks the Feds might look at her computer or she starts up a bootleg DVD business.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I did something similar to this with old video tapes. Once they were captured on my PC in my Tivo videos folder I fired up pyTivo and pulled them from the PC to the Tivo using the standard Tivo transfer function.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I use DVD Decrypter under IFO mode and can put all my DVDs into a single folder
Well, first of all, I don't want them all under the same folder. I have a folder for The Twilight Zone, another for Fawlty Towers, etc. It's true each DVD has its own folder, but so what? Most DVDs have more than one title available. All the DVDs are put into a main DVD share, although one can if they choose create multiple main DVD shares.

Quote:
even the ones with multiple episodes into their own .vob file.
Whether in a file or a directory really makes little difference to the user.

Quote:
Plus, I don't need to join any files.
No processing of any sort - and that includes file joining - is required with the pyTivo DVD plug-in. Just decrypt the raw files into a directory under the main share or one of its directories. Multiple episodes or other titles automatically show up as individual selections under the DVD's folder. Download the cover art from the internet, and create a metafile for each folder and / or file were one wants information, and you're done:

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-30-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you have AnyDVD, then you can rip the DVD your hard drive (right click on the AnyDVD icon).
Once you do that, open the video TS folder and look at the file sizes.

If there are 4 episodes on the DVD, you should be able to tell which files are the episodes. They will be the largest files in the folder and they will all be the same approximate size. You should be able to open them in WMP as is, so you can see which episode is which.
Yes, unfortunately, none of the information about which video is which is available directly from the ripping process.

Quote:
Technically, all you have to do is isolate each episode (move them to your My Tivo Recordings folder (if you use Tivo Desktop)), and change the extention from .vob to .mpg. and the Tivo will accept it.
'Not necessary with pyTivo and its DVD plug-in. Just rip the disc to a folder with whatever name one chooses.

Quote:
You will get a video format notice screen on the Tivo, but you can ignore it.
It might help if you rename the file so you know what to look for on the Tivo.
No notices and no need for renaming files with pyTivo. The name of the DVD is taken from the name of the directory containing the DVD files. Create a directory named The Scarlet Pinpernel and the Kidnapped King, rip the DVD to it, and there you have it. The names of the individual titles contained in the DVD and other information are taken from metafiles.

Quote:
Edit: On some DVDs, the episodes may span across two files. That makes things a little more complicated. If that is the case, then you will need other software that will join the files.
That should be "On most DVDs..." Additional software is not required, other than a text editor (I use Edit Plus or vim) to edit the metafiles and perhaps a still picture conversion utility (I use Rea Lite) to resize and change the format of the cover art. Metafile search utilities such as Metagenerator are very handy, as well.

Quote:
Personally, I use VideoReDo TV Suite and open the DVD directly. Much easier.
I usually just transfer the titles - or part of them - over to the TiVo to see which title is which. The titles are often not in the same order on the disc as they are on the jewel case listing.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-30-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Whether or not you're trying to steal anything, this "place shifting" is not legal in the US, as recently affirmed by the Library of Congress. However, MPEG2 includes sound so you should be able to use the TiVo feature to copy MPEG2 videos to your standalone (not DirecTV) TiVo. You need TiVo Desktop Plus (not the free version) to do this. There may be other ways I am not familiar with.
Is that really place shifting or is it format shifting or medium shifting?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Doesn't matter as far as the DMCA is concerned. No exemption from DMCA is allowed for breaking the copy protection on a DVD for the purpose of playing the material on a different device. This was generally referred to as "place shifting".