TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #361
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr33 View Post
Good point. For this design it wouldn't be worth using such a complex wall wart with 4 voltages coming out of it.

I still haven't received my new capacitors, but I just changed the C701 part to a new 50V part a few minutes ago. All I have here right now are 50V parts, so most of them are too big to fit the small area available, but the C701 part fit perfectly. Happens to be that the C701 part is the only one that was bulging anyway. I will test it when I get home this afternoon.

My new hard drive worked well pre-expansion and after Tivo updated it to 11m, I took a backup of course. Then I expanded it and it now has 2776 hrs SD and 318 hrs HD. Seems to be working well (for 10 hours at least).

The one issue my Tivo seems to have, and I'm hoping it is related to bad power supplies due to bad caps, is that the IR remote doesn't work after the unit has been running for a while and presumably has gotten warm. I've had to use the front panel buttons (or the various Tivo remote apps on iPhone or Android) for most things recently. Has anyone else seen the remote stop being recognized due to bad capacitors?

Thanks all!
Failing power supplies cause all sorts of strange symptoms, so maybe your remote problem is related, but I'd try new batteries in it as well.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #362
markr33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Failing power supplies cause all sorts of strange symptoms, so maybe your remote problem is related, but I'd try new batteries in it as well.
Ha! I was about to go change the batteries and re-test it when I saw this post and had to answer it first :-)

Edit: I just inserted new batteries and no dice. Series 3 still not "hearing" (really "seeing" since it's IR) the remote. The TV responds to the remote as usual (and it did even before I swapped in new batteries).

I sure hope I don't need a new front panel for the S3! (assuming the IR sensor is there somewhere)

Last edited by markr33 : 12-25-2014 at 12:22 AM.
markr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #363
replaytv
Princ insuficiet lit
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 4,192
I have a Series 3 TiVo TCD648250B with power supply problems and it has the clicking noise. The clinking corresponds with a flashing line on the TV screen. I know it is the power supply as I have disconnected the hard drive and the clicking continues and it is coming from the power supply. None of the capacitors look bad, but I want to replace all of them that have ever been known to go bad.

I see the link to
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=E2B62EF780

Has anyone ordered that collection of capacitors lately and had them work and does that cover all the electrolytic capacitors that have failed? As cheap as the capacitors are, I am thinking I would possibly even consider replacing all the electrolytic ones in the power supply if you all think that would be a good idea.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #364
HerronScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,071
I believe a number of people have ordered from that project list (full link below) and it matches the list that I compiled when I repaired my S3 OLED although I ordered from Digikey.

My Digikey list
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9131293

Mouser project
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=1a42eea4c1

These are the capacitors that have generally failed in the S3 OLED power supply although I believe one user here that repairs power supplies for others has found the large capacitor on the primary side of the transformer leaking in a couple.

The ones that I did not replace are listed below. Someone else traced these out and indicated they are all on the primary side of the transformer (except for the 2.2uF). I don't have part numbers for these since I didn't replace them in either of my S3 OLED's.

C306 2.2uF 50V 10mm 3mm?

C220 47uF 50V 10mm 5mm
C227 10uF 25V 10mm 3mm?

C120 470uF 200V 40mm 20mm 10mm

Scott
__________________
  1. S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
  2. S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
  3. S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #365
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
front panel does NOT light up

Hi,

My TiVo HD stopped working. It seems to be getting power because the hard drive is spinning, the fan is blowing, and the ethernet lights (on the back) are on. But none of the lights on the front of the TiVo HD are lit and there is no signal passed to the TV. I tried another (TiVo formatted) hard drive and got the same results, so I'm thinking it's not the hard drive. Does this sound like it could be a bad capacitor problem? Or would I not be getting any power in that case? If not a bad capacitor, is there any other obvious problem that comes to mind? If it's a bad system board, I guess I'm out of luck, right?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Gregg
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #366
markr33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 27
Question Remotes not working (IR or IP)

Now I have another annoying problem. The remote does not work, even with new batteries in it. But the iPhone and Android apps *also* don't work as a remote anymore. I can't figure out why. More than likely some odd network issue, but I haven't figured it out yet. My Tivo can communicate with the Tivo servers without a problem and I was able to setup a bunch of seasons passes and check my todo list from my Tivo login. Very odd. Any ideas?
markr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #367
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr33 View Post
Now I have another annoying problem. The remote does not work, even with new batteries in it. But the iPhone and Android apps *also* don't work as a remote anymore. I can't figure out why. More than likely some odd network issue, but I haven't figured it out yet. My Tivo can communicate with the Tivo servers without a problem and I was able to setup a bunch of seasons passes and check my todo list from my Tivo login. Very odd. Any ideas?


Any possibility of some new source of stray IR (possibly as the invisible part of a visible light source, including sunlight) 'in the house' overwhelming the TiVo's front panel IR sensor?

Put a blanket or thick dark towel over the TiVo hanging down over the front.

Hold the remote under the blanket (this is also the way to set up slide switch remotes for individual TiVos if you have more than one in the same room) and see if the TiVo will respond to a channel change or whatever.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #368
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post
Hi,

My TiVo HD stopped working. It seems to be getting power because the hard drive is spinning, the fan is blowing, and the ethernet lights (on the back) are on. But none of the lights on the front of the TiVo HD are lit and there is no signal passed to the TV. I tried another (TiVo formatted) hard drive and got the same results, so I'm thinking it's not the hard drive. Does this sound like it could be a bad capacitor problem? Or would I not be getting any power in that case? If not a bad capacitor, is there any other obvious problem that comes to mind? If it's a bad system board, I guess I'm out of luck, right?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Gregg
First, make sure you're using the "yellow jack" video output-composite video-for testing purposes. Sometimes the TiVo is fine *except* that the HDMI output has gone bad.

You need to check the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter.

The Series 3 HD and HD XL have 3.

The yellow wires are the +12V section, the red wires are the +5V section, and the orange wires are the +3.3V section, and all the black are ground and negative, but you can ground the meter's negative lead to the metal chassis of the TiVo, preferably over on the side nearest the hard drive and furthest from the power supply.

The power supply capacitors can "look" good and one or more still be going bad. Only a voltmeter (or oscilloscope used as one) can tell you if the outputs are sagging or not.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #369
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
First, make sure you're using the "yellow jack" video output-composite video-for testing purposes. Sometimes the TiVo is fine *except* that the HDMI output has gone bad.

You need to check the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter.

The Series 3 HD and HD XL have 3.

The yellow wires are the +12V section, the red wires are the +5V section, and the orange wires are the +3.3V section, and all the black are ground and negative, but you can ground the meter's negative lead to the metal chassis of the TiVo, preferably over on the side nearest the hard drive and furthest from the power supply.

The power supply capacitors can "look" good and one or more still be going bad. Only a voltmeter (or oscilloscope used as one) can tell you if the outputs are sagging or not.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter. They appear to be working.

As for the HDMI output, I will try the yellow video output, but even if the HDMI output is bad, shouldn't the front panel still light up? Even when it is in stand-by mode, the lights always come on when I push the Tivo button on the remote (and I assume they would also come on after rebooting, which I have tried about 15 times!).

Is it looking more and more like a bad system board? Is there anything other than the system board that might be causing my problem?

In fact, I forgot to mention, but after I first noticed that my TiVo had died, I unplugged it and then plugged it in again. For a fraction of a second, the lights on the front panel blinked, but then went dark. This happened the first few times that I powered off and on, but now the lights do not even blink. Does this suggest anything?

Thanks,

Gregg
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #370
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter. They appear to be working.

As for the HDMI output, I will try the yellow video output, but even if the HDMI output is bad, shouldn't the front panel still light up? Even when it is in stand-by mode, the lights always come on when I push the Tivo button on the remote (and I assume they would also come on after rebooting, which I have tried about 15 times!).

Is it looking more and more like a bad system board? Is there anything other than the system board that might be causing my problem?

In fact, I forgot to mention, but after I first noticed that my TiVo had died, I unplugged it and then plugged it in again. For a fraction of a second, the lights on the front panel blinked, but then went dark. This happened the first few times that I powered off and on, but now the lights do not even blink. Does this suggest anything?

Thanks,

Gregg
It suggests the possibility that your hard drive has failed in such as way that it tries to draw more current than it should (I recently had a drive do that and make the PC it was in appear dead--it was actually the power supply protection circuits protecting itself by refusing to try), so you're seeing what might be a good power supply, or might have been a good power supply, try to work and then be overwhelmed by the hard drive having a much lower resistance (higher current demand) than it should, which would pull the output voltages down.

Although that should mean not getting +12V on the yellow wire and not getting +5V on the red, but something lower.

Anyway, try it with the hard drive combo data/power cable unplugged from the hard drive and see what happens.

There's a guy I can hook you up with in Raleigh from whom I've mail-ordered capacitors who could do the capacitor replacement repair on your power supply if it comes to that and you don't want to mess with it yourself.

I forget who it was, but he's done one supply repair for a triangle area TCF'er I steered to him several months ago already.

This place has the wrong email address on file for me (it's a long story), but you can PM me here.

EDIT: If you can't PM me here you can post here telling me you need a couple more posts before you can PM and I can PM you my email address.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #371
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It suggests the possibility that your hard drive has failed in such as way that it tries to draw more current than it should (I recently had a drive do that and make the PC it was in appear dead--it was actually the power supply protection circuits protecting itself by refusing to try), so you're seeing what might be a good power supply, or might have been a good power supply, try to work and then be overwhelmed by the hard drive having a much lower resistance (higher current demand) than it should, which would pull the output voltages down.

Although that should mean not getting +12V on the yellow wire and not getting +5V on the red, but something lower.

Anyway, try it with the hard drive combo data/power cable unplugged from the hard drive and see what happens.

There's a guy I can hook you up with in Raleigh from whom I've mail-ordered capacitors who could do the capacitor replacement repair on your power supply if it comes to that and you don't want to mess with it yourself.

I forget who it was, but he's done one supply repair for a triangle area TCF'er I steered to him several months ago already.

This place has the wrong email address on file for me (it's a long story), but you can PM me here.

EDIT: If you can't PM me here you can post here telling me you need a couple more posts before you can PM and I can PM you my email address.
A bad hard drive was my first thought, but I connected a different hard drive (that I had cloned earlier) and the front panel still did not light up. Also, the fan spun up at first, but now it does not, though I still get lights on the ethernet port and the hard drive spins. The voltages looked about right.

I tried disconnecting the hard drive and still no front panel lights.

A few days ago, when I figured it was a bad power supply, I ordered one from a guy on ebay. If that does not work, I will PM you about the repair guy in Raleigh.

Thanks for all the help,

Gregg
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #372
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
This place has the wrong email address on file for me (it's a long story), but you can PM me here.

EDIT: If you can't PM me here you can post here telling me you need a couple more posts before you can PM and I can PM you my email address.
You're right -- I don't have enough messages to PM anyone. I think I need 2 more, so I'll send a few more messages to the board before PM'ing you.
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #373
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post
You're right -- I don't have enough messages to PM anyone. I think I need 2 more, so I'll send a few more messages to the board before PM'ing you.
One more should do it.
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #374
vbgregg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
This place has the wrong email address on file for me (it's a long story), but you can PM me here.

EDIT: If you can't PM me here you can post here telling me you need a couple more posts before you can PM and I can PM you my email address.
I sent you a PM. I have a few questions. Can you please PM your email address to me? Thanks.

Gregg
vbgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #375
TostitoBandito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I did finally get the parts and repaired my original S3 OLED power supply which had bulging capacitors for the C401/C402 (2200uF 6.3V). Thought I would post the parts list here for anyone else looking to do this.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list:
3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

I went ahead and replaced 11 of the 15 capacitors to hopefully preemptively catch any of the other primary ones that might fail. The ones that I replaced fall into 3 main groups on the power supply board so that's how I've listed them starting with the ones that were bulging on mine.

C401 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)
C402 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)

C601 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 Digikey P14402-ND $1.01
C701 2200uF 25V Panasonic EEU-FR1E222L Digikey P14428-ND $1.43
C501 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C502 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C504 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01

C503 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C603 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C702 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C403 1000uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FM0J102 Digikey P12340-ND $0.51

All are rated at 10000hrs@105C except for the last 3 which are 6000hrs@105C and 4000hrs@105C. Cost was $9.59 in parts plus $0.48 tax and $4.91 S&H for a total of $14.98.

I actually ordered enough caps to repair my 2nd S3 OLED as well since it has a few bulging 3300uF caps so the S&H was for both sets although the way it was boxed and shipped, I'm not sure it would have been any cheaper for just 1 set of caps.

I hope this helps someone else who might have an S3 OLED with a bad caps!

Scott
I apologize if this has been stated elsewhere, but are the capacitors the same on the Rev A2 power supply from the Series 3?

Mine died recently and I took it out today to look at it and noticed it was an A2 and not an A3 like this part list is for.

I guess I could go snip all the capacitors off of mine and find out, but would prefer not to have to do that all up front if at all possible, so I don't lose track of anything.

Thanks!
__________________
Sony KDL-46XBR2 LCD
Tivo Series 3 Lifetime
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 AM   #376
bantar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
I apologize if this has been stated elsewhere, but are the capacitors the same on the Rev A2 power supply from the Series 3?

Mine died recently and I took it out today to look at it and noticed it was an A2 and not an A3 like this part list is for.

I guess I could go snip all the capacitors off of mine and find out, but would prefer not to have to do that all up front if at all possible, so I don't lose track of anything.

Thanks!
Don't make any assumptions. Either find the exact part list for YOUR Manufacturer & Model & Revision power supply, or make your own list. With the power supply removed, you should be able to read the ratings. I previously posted a detailed clarification in another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post9712622 It might guide you a bit more.
bantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #377
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
I apologize if this has been stated elsewhere, but are the capacitors the same on the Rev A2 power supply from the Series 3?

Mine died recently and I took it out today to look at it and noticed it was an A2 and not an A3 like this part list is for.

I guess I could go snip all the capacitors off of mine and find out, but would prefer not to have to do that all up front if at all possible, so I don't lose track of anything.

Thanks!
Rule Number 1!!!

KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO'S POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!!!

And when you have the top off the TiVo and the insides exposed and vulnerable to being touched or having something accidentally dropped onto them, don't have the cord plugged in unless necessary.

During times when the TiVo is being "worked on", I suggest that you run an extension cord or power strip (preferably with a switch) from the wall socket and connect the TiVo power cord to the house's electrical system that way instead of getting down on your hands and knees to plug and unplug it at the wall socket. If anything goes wrong you want to be able to undo that connection as quickly as possible.

And it's better to leave the TiVo end of the power cord plugged into the TiVo and plug and unplug the other end.



Just to be certain, you have a TCD648250 or TCD648250B, and not a TCD652160 or TCD658000, correct?

Does everything else here:

3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

match except for the Rev A2 instead of A3?

If so, your parts list is probably going to be quite similar if not identical, and the circuit board parts placement numbers (C401, C402, etc.) will probably mostly be the same as well.

Those placement numbers only pertain to locations on the circuit board, the people from whom you obtain replacement caps won't know a thing about them, they'll only know about capacitance in microFarads (uF) and maximum Working Voltage (V) and Low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) and a 105 degree Celsius/Centigrade rating.

Go to the toothbrush aisle at the drug store and get one of those little mirrors on the end of a long handle--just to be on the safe side be sure everything but the mirror itself is plastic-no metal.

And get a good bright flashlight.

Take HerronScott's list, find the placement numbers on your circuit board, and check the uF and V values on the caps on your board against the ones on HerronScott's list.

Where they differ, make notes.

The power cord should not be plugged in while you do this.

You'll soon discover that the people who design these things are fiendishly clever at arranging for the caps to be turned so that there's something keeping you from getting a good clear look at the part of the markings you need to see.

That's what the mirror is for. Be careful about interpreting the backwards numbers.

Comparing his list to your board should give you a feel for the intermediate physical size range of the caps that are the ones most likely to contain the bad ones--i.e., the ones involved in filtering the high frequency ripple out of the heavier DC currents on the board, so if you come up with an extra one, it'll probably have the same ratings as one of the others and you just increase your order to match.

But if it isn't exactly the same, please post your list, with placement numbers, uF and V.

If you decide to remove the board from the chassis to make it easier to get different viewing angles, remember that in addition to the several #10 Torx bit screws that hold it down, there's a small dark one that goes into the AC input jack from the outside on the back panel, and it takes a #8 or 9 Torx--you can probably get either to work.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #378
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 819
I have both versions and don't remember seeing any difference in capacitor values.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #379
timhbtr53
Registered User
 
timhbtr53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: In the Red Stick..
Posts: 84
There the same caps

squint your right it's the same caps in both. I just did over 10 in the last few weeks and all caps same value. I can't find my pic of a A3 P/S right now but they use the same caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCD648250B P-S layout.jpg (51.1 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Tivo Cap List.txt (370 Bytes, 5 views)
timhbtr53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #380
TostitoBandito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 226
Thanks for the info and confirmation guys. I've already got the PSU board out of the Tivo and have checked over the caps, noticing several bulging pretty good (401, 402, 501, 502, 504, 601, 701). I went ahead and ordered the set of 11 caps that cover where my problem area is, and I'll either replace them all or as necessary, depending what I feel like doing.

And yes, I will examine all the caps and take notes as I remove them, to both make sure I'm putting the correct replacement in and also to note any differences I find.

And for reference, I have a TCD648250B with the SPWR-00008-000 RevA2 PSU. Looks exactly like the picture timhbtr53 posted.
__________________
Sony KDL-46XBR2 LCD
Tivo Series 3 Lifetime
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #381
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
squint your right it's the same caps in both. I just did over 10 in the last few weeks and all caps same value. I can't find my pic of a A3 P/S right now but they use the same caps.
That's a picture of one of my actual power supplies.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #382
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
Thanks for the info and confirmation guys. I've already got the PSU board out of the Tivo and have checked over the caps, noticing several bulging pretty good (401, 402, 501, 502, 504, 601, 701). I went ahead and ordered the set of 11 caps that cover where my problem area is, and I'll either replace them all or as necessary, depending what I feel like doing.

And yes, I will examine all the caps and take notes as I remove them, to both make sure I'm putting the correct replacement in and also to note any differences I find.

And for reference, I have a TCD648250B with the SPWR-00008-000 RevA2 PSU. Looks exactly like the picture timhbtr53 posted.

Just because you don't see a bulge is no guarantee that the cap hasn't gone bad or isn't in the process of going bad or isn't fixing to start going bad just as soon as you get the cover back on (although the reverse, or inverse, or obverse, or whatever it is, is not true--if it's bulged or leaking, or both, there's no way it's not bad).

So go ahead and replace all the ones on the list, which is all except the big 200 Volt one* and the little bitty ones.

That way you don't miss any or have to go back in a month or 6 and replace the ones you skipped.

Do it once and be done.

*There have been one or two recent reports of the 200 V cap also going bad, so it's still very unlikely, compared to the many reports of the other caps going bad, but not absolutely impossible, so eyeball it really well before you order caps, or just spend a couple of bucks more and replace it and never worry about it again.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #383
timhbtr53
Registered User
 
timhbtr53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: In the Red Stick..
Posts: 84
If your recaping

It's worth the time to pull C120 "The large cap" and check for leaks. I have had 4 in the last 6 month that was bad. They don't dome but will vent from the bottom. I always check all the caps with a LCR bridge and not yet have found C220 C227 C306 bad yet, but if you won't to be sure replace them all. NEVER just replace a domed cap with out the rest. When one is bad it puts a strain on all the other caps and you will be back in to replace the rest later on. And as my friend unitron says make sure you know where both ends of that power cord is at all times...
timhbtr53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #384
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
It's worth the time to pull C120 "The large cap" and check for leaks. I have had 4 in the last 6 month that was bad. They don't dome but will vent from the bottom. I always check all the caps with a LCR bridge and not yet have found C220 C227 C306 bad yet, but if you won't to be sure replace them all. NEVER just replace a domed cap with out the rest. When one is bad it puts a strain on all the other caps and you will be back in to replace the rest later on. And as my friend unitron says make sure you know where both ends of that power cord is at all times...
Are 220, 227, and 306 those little ones about as big around as a soda straw?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2015 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.